PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we finally stop pretending that Cam is good?

Hurley with a not particularly low level breakdown of how the fanbase is bonkers and he is sick of people saying Newton can't throw the ball.

It is essentially the counterpoint to that weird and incredibly biased thread Ian made at the end of the season.

Of course the bozos who should check it out won't because it won't reinforce wht they want to hear.

For everyone else it should give some optimism if Cam ends up being QB1.

Stupid article. It starts from the premise that people literally think he is incapable of completing a pass. That’s obviously a stupid assertion.
Newton throws the ball well enough to be an NFL QB. However out of all the QBs who throw the ball well enough to be an NFL QB he is at or close to the worst in terms of his accurate he is with his throws, how often they are poor, and how poor they are.
This however is only part of the problem. He exacerbates the problem with a lack of awareness in the passing game and in the pocket and misses many throws by never making them because he doesn’t see it in time to pull the trigger.

These aren’t new issues. They have been there his entire career. When he was young he overcame them with his athleticism. If you put pressure on the defense as a true running threat you create passing opportunities. If you move around to extend plays, receivers have time to get open for big plays.
Newton has never been any good (compared to nfl QBs) in a drop back, read, set , throw scenario. But young newton made up for it by creating plays.
If this were 2016 or so Newton wood throw just as poorly but he would be able to lead an unorthodox but effective passing offense. Now he is less capable of extending plays with his feet and in my view less willing to.
I can live with, and a team can win with, a guy who makes some crappy throws, slow reads and shaky decisions if he has exceptional other skills that create plays to make up for the ones he leaves in the table.

Newton has never been good (compared to other Qbs) when the play runs the way it is supposed to. In the past he was among the best when the play didn’t go the way it was supposed to (often because of his shortcomings) but at this stage he isnt very good then either.
That’s why we are screwed if he is the starting QB not because he is incapable of ever making a good throw.

Apparently, some fans want to keep pretending that Cant is a good QB.

Look at the bright side. At least they aren't still looking to give him an extension.
Out if all the people in the world he is a great thrower. Top 1% of humans. Out if NFL QBs he’s pretty much the worst.

It’s like a .180 hitter in MLB. Out of the pool of humans that guy is a great hitter. Compared to MLB players he is the bottom of the barrel. It’s all relative. It doesn’t mean the guy can’t hit. It means he can’t hit at the level of the competition.
Every now and then he will crank one. That’s not evidence he is good relative to guys who do it a lot more often.

Cam is Good.

(watch me troll these nerbs)

put down the crack pipe, take the needles out of your arm, quit sniffing glue and stop drinking bad whiskey!

please report to rehab immediately and tell them you are are delusional and at rock bottom!

put down the crack pipe, take the needles out of your arm, quit sniffing glue and stop drinking bad whiskey!

please report to rehab immediately and tell them you are are delusional and at rock bottom!

WRONG.

I drink Tito's Vodka, not whiskey.

I think the running TD are misleading because 10 or 11 of the 12 happened inside the 5. A RB could convert those situation. I don’t remember people going crazy when Blount had 18 TD in a season which was the best in the league in 16. Bill didn’t resigned him after that season. If Cam had scored 12 TD like Lamar Jackson I would see things differently but it was not the case.

Cam had COVID last year and Brady in 2019 played half the season with an elbow injury and a foot injury if remember correctly.

with Brady on this team, we would be SB contender. If we make the playoffs with Cam it would be an accomplishment.

Cam just being a threat to run whether it is on Patriots 5 yard line or opponents 5 yard line, opens things up for every running back since teams need to account for Cam running the ball. And it also opens things up for the receivers.

It is a little unfair to compare to the year Blount scored a bunch of TD's since Patriots had much better skill position players that year and they had Blount who was a very powerful short yardage back. Burkhead even when healthy wasn't as powerful as Blount in short yardage situations. Maybe better all around but not short yardage. That year, Patriots had a high scoring offense and weren't being carried by the defense. The year before Cam came, Patriots offense was fairly middle of the pack with truly dominant defense in first half of the seasons setting up a ton of scores or scoring themselves.

And Blount was still decent enough that next year with Philly that he helped them win a Super Bowl after helping a very good Patriots team in 2016.

Touchdowns/first downs near the end zone are hardly ever gimmees especially if the team isn't talented on offense. The Patriots once Edelman went down had zero established receivers and zero established tight ends last year. Look how Brady lost his final game in New England. He actually played very well and much better than most pundits have stated. But running backs couldn't convert in a few critical very short yardage situations. Receivers dropped a few and often his primary reads failed to get separation.

And that and a few other things cost the Patriots a close game.

This past year, Patriots had no Blount and even if they did, Cam is a better option running the ball close to the goal line than even Blount all other things being equal which they rarely are. It is a huge strength of his and literally the reason why he won MVP of the entire National Football League and led his team to 15-1 record without every being a very good pure passer.

Cam Newton is still excellent at running the ball. He just isn't getting yards, run of the mill running backs could easily get. NFL defenses know that and it gives Patriots nice advantage. The disadvantage is for sure he is not a good pure passer so when you combine that with receivers that could get open thanks to the attention placed on Cam but as a unit, the receivers/tight ends sucked at 50/50 balls, it wasn't a surprise the offense struggled as a whole.

I certainly have Tom Brady as the GOAT without a doubt. But check out how Brady struggled 2nd half of regular season. Cam had a better line than Brady did that 2nd half and I'd even give a slight edge to Cam's receivers/tight ends.

But Brady's stats were so mediocre that 2nd half that foolish critics were calling him kind of washed up when he was still a top 5 quarterback.

Cam Newton's demise has been greatly exaggerated.

Carolina got rid of Cam because of his relatively high salary combined with his injury risk. Carolina wasn't foolish enough to think Newton wasn't still a good starting QB but if you think your team needs to be rebuilt, you understandably do not want to pay Cam a lot of money relatively speaking if you think he will still suffer injuries.
Then why did the Pats have one of the worst passing attacks in the league last year? If the receivers would be "more open", wouldn't that translate into having one of the better passing offenses out there?
A few reasons. I believe receivers in the stat I heard was separated from running backs and tight ends. So a big reason may be the Patriots had the worst tight ends in the entire NFL and that is important.

Another big reason is the Patriots receivers/tight ends as a group had to be among the bottom 5 in the NFL on 50/50 balls down the field. Brady with Tampa Bay if no one was open could chuck the ball down the field and Evans/Godwin could sometimes make catches or get a pass interference call. Tough for Brady to do that his last year in New England and tough for Cam to do that as well.

Another reason Patriots skill position players as a whole not strong in YAC.

Cam being a relatively inaccurate passer obviously plays a part but the other reasons collectively more of a factor.

Cam even when he was MVP or Heisman winner leading his team to a championship was never a truly all around accurate thrower of the football compared to other elite quarterbacks. It is his running ability that helps out his receivers/tight ends but you still need more talent than the Patriots put on the field as a whole at the skill positions.

Patriots now have a top 5 tight end group and improved but still below average receivers as a whole. Add in Cam being more familiar with the Patriots scheme, the Patriots should score a lot more points next year as long as Cam stays healthy.

You are way over rating the running threat, lots of qbs are a threat to run. Cam is one of the slowest.
He ran for nearly 600 yards and scored 12 TDs. I get what you are saying that he isn't quick and elusive like Jackson but once he gets going he is tough to stop and he eats up yards pretty well. I'm not Cam fan and didn't want him back but to say he isn't a threat running i'm not sure is accurate.

He ran for nearly 600 yards and scored 12 TDs. I get what you are saying that he isn't quick and elusive like Jackson but once he gets going he is tough to stop and he eats up yards pretty well. I'm not Cam fan and didn't want him back but to say he isn't a threat running i'm not sure is accurate.
The problem is, that it only worked on designed runs. When he had to scramble, he looked about as fast as Brady.

The idea that Cam can't throw the ball is a myth. This article points it out. While the bad passes did happen we can't ignore the good passes to fit a narrative.

Also, Bill is not an idiot. He had seen more of cam newton than any of us. If he decided to sign him he either has no idea about football or cams not as bad in his eyes as the hysterics from the media and fans

Too many bad passes. That he didnt throw nearly enough good passes is not a myth and is the narrative.

I actually do think Cam Newton may have had an impact on some of these guys choosing here (besides the money)

I am ok with Cam right now. I believe we move up and get a QB in the top 10 and then hopefully that guy will be starting mid-season. We have upgraded the skill spots which should help our play calling be a lot more dynamic and easy passes to the TE for Cam.

To be honest, all these things ring true about last year. the slow windup, sacks, batted passes, not seeing the field, some throws into the dirt are all issues that didnt have to do with the receivers. you would have one bullet pass, followed by a duck. Cam newton was bad and its why i didn't think he would be back.

the only question becomes, why did Bill sign Cam over ALL the guys out there available. andy dalton, fitzpatrick, alex smith, trubisky. In his mind, clearly theres not much of a difference in production from these guys vs. Cam newton and this is the guy who saw him in practice every week, saw his mechanics etc.

So, in Bills mind. he must think that alot of these issues can be coached up with a full offseason and better receiver options. Maybe hes wrong, I hope hes right. Watching cam last year was sad compared to what he was, former MVP and hes only 31.

There was talk that he was truly injured and you can throw in the covid equation.

Maybe the issue is having him running 12-15 times per game.

There was talk that he was truly injured and you can throw in the covid equation.

Maybe the issue is having him running 12-15 times per game.
The dilemma is if you take away his "fullback as a quarterback" element then his value drops even more, and even with it he wasn't good in 2020.

Cam’s done. His shoulder is toast and his mechanics suck. How many times do we need to see the ball hit the dirt on a 5 yd pass? Or the ball swatted at the line?

Last edited:
Over/under for Cam to be benched permanently for QB2

Week 5.5

Cam was the best option and we all know his resume. I think to focus on Trey Lance / Justin Fields if they slide in the draft to backup Newton should be our best option now that we covered so many issues in FA.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back