PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we finally stop pretending that Cam is good?

I'm sure once Bill gets a capable passer, he will be happy to make the O more reliant on the pass. For now it looks to me as if he realizes, that he may not be able to get one of the better FA QBs or one of the top rookie QBs. So he is building a team that can have success with a game manager "don't lose the game" type of QB.

Well that, for me, brings up the point- if they had known Covid Brian fog for what it now is, and its long term ramifications, wouldn't BB have done so?

They kept trying to play Cam, and that to me suggests they thought it was a playbook, timing/chemistry issue and that one day it would all click for him.

Many posters have brought issues up like injuries, lack of chemistry, and just flat out sucking, but to me (from watching all-22 clips) the biggest thing was how hard it was for him to progress through his reads. He was really slogging.

But we'll find out.
Maybe.... I am not entirely convinced at this point that Newton is the week 1 starter.....

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Maybe.... I am not entirely convinced at this point that Newton is the week 1 starter.....

I am far from proposing that he be the week 1 starter. I am hoping for a miracle in the draft. Someone good enough to avoid riding the pine for too long.

Brady's "horrendous" was 12-4 and 24 passing TDs, Cam's was 7-9 and 8 passing TDs. Just...come on, man.
Brady in 2019-20 was better than Cam last year and it wasn't that close but you are still presenting misleading stats. First of all Cam missed a game and he also had covid.

Cam broke the record for rushing TDs for a Patriots QB. 12 rushing TD's so when you add 12 + 8, he was still responsible for 20 TD's despite missing a game and getting covid. Ultimately wins are what matter and Brady has 5 more wins playing a little softer schedule. Overall last years team probably had more injuries and certainly had more key opt outs because of covid,

Brady dramatically improving his QB rating despite a new situation and not being on same page with his coach/teammates at first shows how hard it was for a QB to succeed in New England. And while he was banged up/playing injured, Brady at least had Edelman for most of the year.

Newton didn't.

This board underrates Newton. He is an obvious major downgrade from Brady but he is a QB at his best good enough to carry the Carolina Panthers to the Super Bowl. And Carolina scored the most points in the NFL that year.

Patriots in the playoffs have lost to several quarterbacks worse than or same level than what Cam will probably be next year. One of the best Patriots teams lost to Mark Sanchez and the Jets. Patriots lost to Broncos twice including to Manning when his arm was shot. Baltimore's QB could get hot but he was far from elite. The list goes on.

Cam Newton is a good QB on a great contract. He is paid as backup and has the potential to be an average starting QB. Surround an average starting QB with very good talent on both sides of the ball and good coaching and you can get lucky and go far.

Carolina got rid of Cam Newton because of his contract. At 15+ million a year in the Carolina management's shoes given Cam's durability concerns and where there team was at, I would cut him as well.

But Patriots fans should be very happy to have Cam at a bargain price. Some much better than paying 2-5X the price for someone marginally better or not better at all.

Brady in 2019-20 was better than Cam last year and it wasn't that close but you are still presenting misleading stats. First of all Cam missed a game and he also had covid.

Cam broke the record for rushing TDs for a Patriots QB. 12 rushing TD's so when you add 12 + 8, he was still responsible for 20 TD's despite missing a game and getting covid. Ultimately wins are what matter and Brady has 5 more wins playing a little softer schedule. Overall last years team probably had more injuries and certainly had more key opt outs because of covid,

Brady dramatically improving his QB rating despite a new situation and not being on same page with his coach/teammates at first shows how hard it was for a QB to succeed in New England. And while he was banged up/playing injured, Brady at least had Edelman for most of the year.

Newton didn't.

This board underrates Newton. He is an obvious major downgrade from Brady but he is a QB at his best good enough to carry the Carolina Panthers to the Super Bowl. And Carolina scored the most points in the NFL that year.

Patriots in the playoffs have lost to several quarterbacks worse than or same level than what Cam will probably be next year. One of the best Patriots teams lost to Mark Sanchez and the Jets. Patriots lost to Broncos twice including to Manning when his arm was shot. Baltimore's QB could get hot but he was far from elite. The list goes on.

Cam Newton is a good QB on a great contract. He is paid as backup and has the potential to be an average starting QB. Surround an average starting QB with very good talent on both sides of the ball and good coaching and you can get lucky and go far.

Carolina got rid of Cam Newton because of his contract. At 15+ million a year in the Carolina management's shoes given Cam's durability concerns and where there team was at, I would cut him as well.

But Patriots fans should be very happy to have Cam at a bargain price. Some much better than paying 2-5X the price for someone marginally better or not better at all.
He was a good QB - he now is unable to throw consistently, has a very slow windup, does not process the field well, takes too many sacks, throws the ball into the dirt, can't hit the short stuff, is fairly inaccurate overall (ball placement is terrible), and gets too many balls knocked down. You point to his rushing TDs, I suggest a RB could get those TDs too - How good do you feel about Cam at the 10 yard line getting a TD? Not very good. Let's add cannot recognize the blitz, cannot read defenses, and never once used motion to diagnose whether it was zone vs. man defense.

Cam is terrible, he is the worst starting QB in the league - Tyrod Taylor would be a giant upgrade.

He was a good QB - he now is unable to throw consistently, has a very slow windup, does not process the field well, takes too many sacks, throws the ball into the dirt, can't hit the short stuff, is fairly inaccurate overall (ball placement is terrible), and gets too many balls knocked down. You point to his rushing TDs, I suggest a RB could get those TDs too - How good do you feel about Cam at the 10 yard line getting a TD? Not very good. Let's add cannot recognize the blitz, cannot read defenses, and never once used motion to diagnose whether it was zone vs. man defense.

Cam is terrible, he is the worst starting QB in the league - Tyrod Taylor would be a giant upgrade.

To be honest, all these things ring true about last year. the slow windup, sacks, batted passes, not seeing the field, some throws into the dirt are all issues that didnt have to do with the receivers. you would have one bullet pass, followed by a duck. Cam newton was bad and its why i didn't think he would be back.

the only question becomes, why did Bill sign Cam over ALL the guys out there available. andy dalton, fitzpatrick, alex smith, trubisky. In his mind, clearly theres not much of a difference in production from these guys vs. Cam newton and this is the guy who saw him in practice every week, saw his mechanics etc.

So, in Bills mind. he must think that alot of these issues can be coached up with a full offseason and better receiver options. Maybe hes wrong, I hope hes right. Watching cam last year was sad compared to what he was, former MVP and hes only 31.

I think the running TD are misleading because 10 or 11 of the 12 happened inside the 5. A RB could convert those situation. I don’t remember people going crazy when Blount had 18 TD in a season which was the best in the league in 16. Bill didn’t resigned him after that season. If Cam had scored 12 TD like Lamar Jackson I would see things differently but it was not the case.

Cam had COVID last year and Brady in 2019 played half the season with an elbow injury and a foot injury if remember correctly.

with Brady on this team, we would be SB contender. If we make the playoffs with Cam it would be an accomplishment.

I think he will be.

I don't see the 49ers letting go of Jimmy G for a third rounder or something like that and then trading away what it takes to get Watson. Seattle probably won't trade Russell Wilson within their division. Now maybe there is a slight chance Niners gamble on Sam Darnold over Jimmy G but I doubt that.

And no matter who the Patriots draft, I would think Belichick gives that player at least 6-8 weeks and probably more as the backup to learn the Patriots scheme. I doubt Patriots pay the high price it will cost to get a DeShaun Watson.

A running back could not get many of those TDs. Cam isn't running in to inflate his stats, he is running in since he is actually the best running QB in NFL history until Lamar Jackson. Often easier for defenses to stop a running back near goal line that a big powerful fast QB like Cam Newton. And Newton with his running ability, also makes it easier for the running backs to run.

Very few running backs run for 12 TDs nowadays.

You are mostly right about Cam's mechanics but he had bad mechanics when he was winning the MVP and going 15-1 as well. The guy was never a great pure passer.

The part that you are missing is Cam's ability to run the ball gets his receivers more open than they would be with a pure pocket passer like Brady or even a QB that scrambles and can run a moderate amount like Aaron Rodgers. Even Russell Wilson doesn't scare teams like Cam Newton running the ball. Wilson may pick up plenty of yards but he isn't a threat to over run a defensive back so it is tough for defenses to go small against a team with Cam.

I believe running ability for most quarterbacks is overrated but when a QB does it at the level of Cam Newton or above current Cam Newton like a Lamar Jackson, it should not be dismissed. It does change how receivers and tight ends are covered a bit and gets them more open.

That running ability makes it easier for other skill position players.

As for Newton's accuracy/processing. It is fair to say he is below average overall in those areas and probably always will be but with full season in New England he will be better. And Patriots coaches have already learned what he does well and what he doesn't do well and have made additions to the team to help out Cam Newton. I have confidence they will work out reasonably well.

The part that you are missing is Cam's ability to run the ball gets his receivers more open than they would be with a pure pocket passer like Brady or even a QB that scrambles and can run a moderate amount like Aaron Rodgers. Even Russell Wilson doesn't scare teams like Cam Newton running the ball. Wilson may pick up plenty of yards but he isn't a threat to over run a defensive back so it is tough for defenses to go small against a team with Cam.
Then why did the Pats have one of the worst passing attacks in the league last year? If the receivers would be "more open", wouldn't that translate into having one of the better passing offenses out there?

Let’s hope this year is that second year leap a lot of players make post injury.

Many of us had Stidham as the presumptive starter around this time last year. There is a lot of time between now and the start of the season.

Wait and see...

Then why did the Pats have one of the worst passing attacks in the league last year? If the receivers would be "more open", wouldn't that translate into having one of the better passing offenses out there?
Because the poster forgot to mention that, among his other faults, Cant sucks while throwing on the run, which if one thinks about it is Inexcusable.

Always fun to see for a fact how disconnected a certain segment of the fanbase from what goes on among the players is.

Shocking that players who grew up watching and idolizing Cam are still respecting all he has already accomplished and might still have to offer.

Only thing Darius Leonard can't wait to see Cam for is....

giphy(12).gif

Absolutely Brilliant post on Newton....thx

Because the poster forgot to mention that, among his other faults, Cant sucks while throwing on the run, which if one thinks about it is Inexcusable.

The idea that Cam can't throw the ball is a myth. This article points it out. While the bad passes did happen we can't ignore the good passes to fit a narrative.

Also, Bill is not an idiot. He had seen more of cam newton than any of us. If he decided to sign him he either has no idea about football or cams not as bad in his eyes as the hysterics from the media and fans

The idea that Cam can't throw the ball is a myth. This article points it out. While the bad passes did happen we can't ignore the good passes to fit a narrative.

Also, Bill is not an idiot. He had seen more of cam newton than any of us. If he decided to sign him he either has no idea about football or cams not as bad in his eyes as the hysterics from the media and fans

This is hyperbole, we all know that Cam can complete passes, it's about the consistency and accuracy...he throws hospital balls and a throw so the receiver can run isn't really what he does.

Apparently, some fans want to keep pretending that Cant is a good QB.

Look at the bright side. At least they aren't still looking to give him an extension.

Our team now has solid starters and a little depth at all starting positions except qb and wr.

and while the wr room has a lot of number 3 and 4 wide receivers in it, our qb room is a Jets sized dumpster fire!

I remain hopeful bb has a plan for the qb room because newton is beyond horrible and will kill this team if he gets on the field!

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back