PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler Extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he seems to have made more big plays than everyone else on the defense combined.

I do not want to be the voice for anti-Butler. I'm extremely glad to have him on the team and he is 110% been the best CB, however and IMHO, McCourty has been the most valuable player in the secondary and maybe-probably on the whole D.

In terms of ranking by number of Big Plays? Big Plays haven't been in abundance but I suppose it could be Butler, maybe Flowers. Some will curse me for saying this but Van Noy has had some Big Plays. And based on his lower snap count than the others, maybe Wise as a % to snaps for sacks and tackles for losses.

But if you think Big Plays goes to Butler? A fair argument can be made...

Both sides were also interested in an extension in the previous two offseasons. Interest between the two sides never was an issue.

Reality is that with the rest of the secondary signed and Gilmore on board as a bona fide CB1, Butler has less leverage over the Pats but in likelihood still wants the same ballpark of money as in the previous years.

It will all come down to how much he is willing to concede to stay here. I would be happy if he takes a friendly deal and stays but just dont see why in the year where he is finally a UFA he would do just that.

I seem to remember his own admission that he did not play well the first couple of games and the contract of Gilmore got into his head..

Huge Butler fan, but seems that only recently he has played well enough to consider a contract extension.. the other part of it is he has been relatively injury free which either makes him more valuable or his time is due..

Butler is not an elite corner and he's struggled since the middle of last year. I think teams have figured out what gives him trouble. That said he's not garbage either. He's mentally tough, smart, a good tackler in run support and a total gamer who never gives up. There's so many times the receiver has the catch and he rips it out going to the ground. All indications are he's a great teammate and leader.

I think the problem is going to be Logan Ryan's 10M/year is the floor and Gilmore's 14M/year is what he'll want. Maybe they can get him for closer to that 10M/year by giving him more years but from the Pats perspective is he worth more than Mccorty's 9m/year? They wouldn't give Ryan 10M/year thinking he wasn't truly elite, correctly, and could pay a Jones or Badamosi a fraction of that for 90% of the production. Is Butler that much better than Ryan to warrant 12M/year?

Take Gilmore out of it as we figure out if his contract was a mistake or not. Is Butler a Peterson or Sherman or closer to a Ryan? I just cannot see the Patriots giving him that coin. I also cannot see him after all that's gone down taking less than Ryan. He may have it in his head to not take less than Gilmore.

Best player or not you still can't pay him more than 7 million. Even though he covers the #1 wrs and every once in a blue while those #1 wrs makes a great catch on him but people forget they make them on other #1cbs too he in no way is worth more than $7mill. That's like half of Gilmore.

I don't think he'll get a massive deal overall, but I could see it easily eclipsing $7M per. I mean Logan Ryan got $10M/year.

Best player or not you still can't pay him more than 7 million. Even though he covers the #1 wrs and every once in a blue while those #1 wrs makes a great catch on him but people forget they make them on other #1cbs too he in no way is worth more than $7mill. That's like half of Gilmore.

The Patriots have plenty of savings on D from the fact that no one on the defensive line or linebackers other than Hightower earns any money whatsoever.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that.

And things likely won't change next year either. They'll draft a slew of DE and LB and watch the kids fight it out.

Wise, Flowers, Rivers, Guy, Branch, Brown, Valentine, Marsh.
Hightower, Van Noy and mystery men at LB.

All the money gets spent on DBs.

I don't think he'll get a massive deal overall, but I could see it easily eclipsing $7M per. I mean Logan Ryan got $10M/year.

You are right. Offering him 7mill is even insulting when you consider that he's better than Ryan.

He has his ups and downs (mostly ups), but he's been spectacular against Antonio Brown. Having Butler while Pittsburgh remains in the path to a title is always a good thing.

Regards,
Chris

Am I the only one a little bit tired of people assigning character flaws to a player just for wanting to get paid what they're worth?

7 won't do it with Ryan @ 10. Too bad because I really like the guy as a fanboi.

If true maybe Butler and his agent found out the grass and money might not be greener elsewhere.

On further thought, if we could somehow extend Butler from 5'10" to say 6'1" he's be worth a cap buster contract
Send him to space during the bye week? If anyone does it its Belichick.

Send him to space during the bye week? If anyone does it its Belichick.

Outa the box thinking, Rook!
Too bad the extra couple inches only last a week or so back here. Maybe a couple days just before playing Julio Jones.

Outa the box thinking, Rook!
Too bad the extra couple inches only last a week or so back here. Maybe a couple days just before playing Julio Jones.
1st Round Pick docked for SpaceGate?

This is a top 5 'things I hope happen' when it comes to the Patriots for me.

I love Malcolm and would love to see him spend his entire career here. I always thought Adam shouldn't have left because he'd be a folk hero here. I mean, he still is but if he had stayed in a Pats' uniform his entire career (I think he had a brief stint with Jax in 1994) I think he would have enjoyed a life that the extra bucks Indy gave him can't buy. Imagine being worshipped by an entire region.

AV made this a woulda coulda conversation when he left to go kick indoors and in great weather. I feel the same about him as I do Curtis Martin, who left to be with Tuna Crap. Meh. Plus, we ended up with Gostkowski, who's better.

Butler has shown more class and loyalty to the Pats than most in the NYFL would under his circumstances. When I see his game vs Gilmore's I wonder if they gave the money to the wrong player.

Bertrand guessing Gilmore is out... Butler is our #1 again this week (regardless ?).

AV made this a woulda coulda conversation when he left to go kick indoors and in great weather. I feel the same about him as I do Curtis Martin, who left to be with Tuna Crap. Meh. Plus, we ended up with Gostkowski, who's better.

Butler has shown more class and loyalty to the Pats than most in the NYFL would under his circumstances. When I see his game vs Gilmore's I wonder if they gave the money to the wrong player.
I agree with this. I believe we could have given Butler 10 Mil/year, passed on Gilmore, and added another LB. Sometimes it's about culture and fit....I wasn't a fan of the Gilmore signing from the jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes