PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi's Thoughts on Malcolm Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly, but when someone gives you the opportunities Belichick has given Butler there should be some measure of gratitude for that imo. Could they have extended him earlier, possibly, but without actually what has been offered and rejected it's impossible to know where the responsibility for the lack of progress on s new deal lies. Butler has every right to reject the Patriots offers if he wants but he shouldn't be upset that he doesn't have a new deal and more money if he's the one who has been turning down their offers. If that's the case then he can gamble on getting more elsewhere, that's his choice, but he shouldn't be angry at the Patriots that he turned more money down.

I'm not suggesting the Patriots are always right on their offers, I think they should have torn up Edelman's deal and extended him at least a year ago, but they shouldn't be expected to give Butler Josh Norman's deal just because he thinks he's worth whatever idiotic money Daniel Snyder throws around.

When the first day of free agency was over last year I knew the Patriots were in trouble when it came to signing their upcoming free agents, because the money teams like the Jags and Giants were giving to good but not great players was ridiculous, and that established a new market where good players were going to want money that should be reserved for guys who are headed to the Hall of Fame. Much as I like Hightower and Butler I don't blame Belichick one bit for saying no if they are asking for fifteen million a season, and I think the teams handing those deals out like candy are idiots. The market is way out of whack right now and I think the Patriots are being smart not to go along with it even if it means losing some really talented players.

Ivan, either you had inside knowledge of what the dealings are, or you have a lot of "ifs" and "maybes" to make your argument.
Edelman made $4.25M in 2015 compared to Butler's $500K. Why you are introducing JE11 in the discussion is not making sense to me.

And while you may be right that Butlers work ethic would have gotten him a job in the NFL , I think dismissing the level of coaching he has received from Belichick and Patricia,as well as his position coaches, in his success is foolhardy, those coaches played a vital role in helping Butler turn into the player he has become.

No one is "dismissing" the level of coaching he has received.
By making this all about how great the coaching is that they took a scrub off the heap pile and made him a stud, it actually "dismisses" how great Butler's own talent and development is. In that case, how poor was our coaching in the lack of development of the following: Wilhite, Wheatley, Crable, Gus Scott, Ras-I, Tavon, Cyrus Jones, Dobson, Boyce, Taylor Price, Chad Jackson or any other busts we've drafted?
It has to cut both ways.
The coaching and development is great but Malcolm Butler deserves most of the credit.

Am I the only one worried about his First Round 3.9Mill tender?? Anybody think it is far fetched for a Team to pull the trigger?? That would definitely weaken our Patriots.

Also the Team that pulls the trigger will be getting a Starter from Day 1 and not a Rookie crap-shoot stuff, Butler is just going into his prime. I think this bears watching I wish we would just lock him up he's kept his mouth shut worked the man deserves to get paid.

Yes, you pretty much are.
It's far fetched.

No one is "dismissing" the level of coaching he has received.
By making this all about how great the coaching is that they took a scrub off the heap pile and made him a stud, it actually "dismisses" how great Butler's own talent and development is. In that case, how poor was our coaching in the lack of development of the following: Wilhite, Wheatley, Crable, Gus Scott, Ras-I, Tavon, Cyrus Jones, Dobson, Boyce, Taylor Price, Chad Jackson or any other busts we've drafted?
It has to cut both ways.
The coaching and development is great but Malcolm Butler deserves most of the credit.

Butler was a beast from the first moment he walked into mini-camp.

Source with knowledge tells me Malcolm Butler's extension talks were "brief" & the number he was offered in season didn't change much post.

Mike Giardi on Twitter

Source with knowledge tells me Malcolm Butler's extension talks were "brief" & the number he was offered in season didn't change much post.

Mike Giardi on Twitter

Yikes

It looks to me like the Pats are hoping he gets an offer sheet so that they can either match it, or just take the pick. This draft is, supposedly the deepest in recent memory at the CB position.

It looks to me like the Pats are hoping he gets an offer sheet so that they can either match it, or just take the pick. This draft is, supposedly the deepest in recent memory at the CB position.
There's depth. And then there's replacement of talent. Hopefully thats not the plan and it is resolved

It took us a long long time to find quality dbs. I still remember how bad we were. 1st rd tender and 4$mill is not much for a starting shutdown db. Sometimes you just want the pats to reward our own players that have been through the grind, like McCourty.

I'd like to get it done now cause i can't help but feel if they don't get it done this year that will tick Butler off and they might lose him over it next year. It is hard to talk a player into taking a home town discount when you did everything you could to keep him from getting paid before his big contract.

If we don't pay Butler this year he enters FA with about 3M to his name and will feel he was a bit screwed over and look to be paid cause he knows it is now or never. He would want to be sure himself, his future kids, his future grand kids and family are set for life. That ain't cheap.

Give 6 years 91 M and 55 guaranteed and make it start this year. Come 2 years it will look like a good contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes