PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler Extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambam94

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The Boston Herald reports the Patriots want to extend contract-year CB Malcolm Butler.

Butler was shopped this offseason, but there’s mutual interest on him returning. With Stephon Gilmore making top corner money, it’s going to be difficult for the Patriots to sign him. It’s possible Butler will be franchised if Jimmy Garoppolo isn’t tagged.

Happy to see it's still all business on the Patriots end and no bridges have been burned on their end. Obviously no idea about Butler's end; all aspects of the story to date have been that he's seeking top dollar. I would be very surprised to see the Patriots commit that much cap space to one position. We'll see how it goes.

Yes. Yes and yes. Butler has been spectacular.

The Boston Herald reports the Patriots want to extend contract-year CB Malcolm Butler.

Butler was shopped this offseason, but there’s mutual interest on him returning. With Stephon Gilmore making top corner money, it’s going to be difficult for the Patriots to sign him. It’s possible Butler will be franchised if Jimmy Garoppolo isn’t tagged.

Since there was no link, I want to confirm that this is the article: Mailbag: Assessing Patriots’ 2018 free agents

A few thing stick out to me in Howe's mailbag --

- no burned bridges on Butler's side, so that's good news. So it just comes down to money. Again, we'll see.....

- also Howe heard a month ago that the Pats were considering using the franchise tag on Butler.

- there had been speculation about Nate Solder potentially retiring. Howe says that Solder told him directly over the summer that he still wants to play after 2017, and Howe's expecting a 2 year extension like was done in 2015 at some point unless Solder's changed his mind.

Butler has been the best player on defense this year

Best player or not you still can't pay him more than 7 million. Even though he covers the #1 wrs and every once in a blue while those #1 wrs makes a great catch on him but people forget they make them on other #1cbs too he in no way is worth more than $7mill. That's like half of Gilmore.

He's a very good cornerback, plays with a lot of tenacity, and tackles well. I hope we keep him.

This is a top 5 'things I hope happen' when it comes to the Patriots for me.

I love Malcolm and would love to see him spend his entire career here. I always thought Adam shouldn't have left because he'd be a folk hero here. I mean, he still is but if he had stayed in a Pats' uniform his entire career (I think he had a brief stint with Jax in 1994) I think he would have enjoyed a life that the extra bucks Indy gave him can't buy. Imagine being worshipped by an entire region.

Isn't bademosi a UFA as well? Would like to find a way and keep him.

No he hasn't.
But given the overall D performance of games 1-4 and at minimum spotty lapses games 5-6, the "best player on D" trophy isn't quite as prestigious as it could be.
Well he seems to have made more big plays than everyone else on the defense combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back