PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns now say pick #4 is for sale. IMO we go for it....but not a QB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draft JAG in round 2
  2. Trade JAG for a 2nd round pick
  3. Trade a bunch of picks to move up to take a new QB at the top of the first round
Am I the only one who can picture BB nearly choking to death on the mere thought of that scenario?
Sounds like a stupid, fictitious movie. Maybe we can call it "Draft Day" or something.

The Browns have been taking offers for #4 and have been reluctant. Of course if some one came for pick #1 that is a bigger haul.

They now say they will listen.

Pick #4 is worth 1,800 points accord to the Draft Trade Chart.
Our picks #23, #31 and #43 are worth 1,830
To be sure the Browns are inundated with picks.
Perhaps they would spin back a fifth rounder we do not have #150 with a value of 31 points.
1,800 vs. 1,831

The good news for the Browns is 3 first rounders and 4 second rounders.

O.K. We make the deal. Which QB?

Nope Cousins, I am going for Bradley Chubb.

Instead of sitting on the bench for two or three years, he plays day one and brings new youth and talent to our talent limited D line.

If I am going to give up that wampum, rather have a "blue chipper" to start now.

So now:
#4 Chubb

#63 Jewell LB?
#95 Lauletta QB?
#150 P.J. Hall DT?
#198 Trade with Eagles for Kendrick OLB?
#210 Brandon Parker OT
#219 Jordan Thomas TE

Thoughts?
DW Toys
I hate to be agreeable but I would really like this collection of players. WE NEED PASS RUSH!!

I am hoping we draft Alexander now ahead of a guy like Evans if both are there at 23.

Did they bring Alexander for a visit?

Actually, the percentage of 1st round QB success stories is nothing to write home about.

29 QBs drafted in round 1 over the last 10 years and 15 have been busts. Basically you have a 50 - 50 shot at 51% of landing a keeper.

Paxton Lynch
Jameis Winston
Manziel
Ted Bridgewater
EJ Manuel
RG3
Brandon Weeden
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Same Bradford
Tebow
Sanchez
Josh Freeman

We have not even touched JMarcus RusselL and Brady Quinn territory.

DraftHistory.com
Please don't include Teddy Bridgewater in that sorry group.

I wonder if DW Toys women are as wild as his trade ideas? Hmmmmmm. He sure likes him some wild trades.

Dak got carried by an offensive line and running game. He is struggling now.

Russel got carried by his defense his first few years and got to slowly develop into his own.

Jimmy G played 6 games, he's not proven yet.

Nick Foles is a back up who gets streaky.

Cousins is a good.

Dalton is largely mediocre.

Cassell is not a starter.

Lynch is incomplete-IO have stated this many time on this forum. This is taboo and DW to be chastised by my Cousins, but I would call Elway and trade for Paxton Lynch.
He injured his shoulder in pre-season 2016
He injured his ankle last year and got involved in Head Coach Vance Joseph's(a "D" coach) 2017 game of musical QB swapping. Elway admits he did not give Lynch a fair shot.
But besides Keenam, they spent $ on, they have Chad Kelly whom they seem to be happy with coming off of a college injury.

“That’s coaching and that’s the league,” Joseph said. “We have to give them time to develop and learn how to play the position. Now, some guys come in and they [can] play. It’s different. [Colts QB] Andrew [Luck] came in and he played. That’s a different guy. Some guys need more time.”

With Lynch it's been health and motivation, not the tools.

In 4 starts he has had a 61.7% completion record. In college he was over 62% and almost 9k yards in three years with 59 TDs and went from 10 Ints as a Frosh to only 4 in his Drafted Jr. year. His arm is better than Darnold , Mayfield and Rosen. His % is better than Allen and Jackson.

Check Steve Young's stats when he started taking over for Montana....awful. He turned out pretty good with playing time/snaps to take over for a HOF QB? He was picked up on the cheap in TRADE from Tampa Bay who gave up on him. Hmmmmm

Lynch is a former first rounder BB likes to salvage. I think Elway trades him. Could be a low cost/low risk , minimum gamble, good value move to put him with Josh for two years or so. He's only 25. This beats stretching for a top first rounder and he fits the Pats better than Jackson for sure.

The best part is he can be a "roster saver". If we Draft a kid we have to keep Hoyer on the roster. BB had just Jimmy G as the lone Brady back up a few years ago. Lynch has had NFL starts (4) and has won beating the Jags last year. Maybe BB keeps just two QBs? At the least he is competition if we Draft a mid round QB. At the best he is a trade chip.

DW Toys

I wonder if DW Toys women are as wild as his trade ideas? Hmmmmmm. He sure likes him some wild trades.

You ain't seen nothing yet. Look at my Lynch post.

By the way, this morning MMQB just had the same trade proposal this morning on their show with the pick of Chubb in #4 to the Pats. Say, you don't think?...............Na!
DW Toys

You ain't seen nothing yet. Look at my Lynch post.

By the way, this morning MMQB just had the same trade proposal this morning on their show with the pick of Chubb in #4 to the Pats. Say, you don't think?...............Na!
DW Toys

I don't doubt anything DW Toys says! I believe it all!! I just want to be invited to one of DWT's wild and crazy draft parties. I guess my invite got lost in the mail :-(.

There is nothing i've seen or heard about Bill Belichick over the last 19 years that suggests he would give up three first and second round picks for anyone on any draft board under any reasonable circumstances [if Brady had surprised the world and announced his retirement after the SB, I could maybe (just maybe) see him trading up to get a QB he was sold on. But otherwise? No how. No way.]

...of course, the above probably means that that is exactly what Belichick will do. ;)

There is nothing i've seen or heard about Bill Belichick over the last 19 years that suggests he would give up three first and second round picks for anyone on any draft board under any reasonable circumstances [if Brady had surprised the world and announced his retirement after the SB, I could maybe (just maybe) see him trading up to get a QB he was sold on. But otherwise? No how. No way.]

...of course, the above probably means that that is exactly what Belichick will do. ;)

I don't think it's happening either.

You could do the same type of commentary on many first rounders as well.
You could, but if anyone here made a list of the 20 QB's of all time, about 12-15. Only 2-3 would be third or later

Let's just hope for the sake of his offspring that his women are not also his cousins.

Three high picks including two 1st rounders for a Runningback?

It'll never happen. Pats value RB's pretty low and you have a chance to get a very good one anywhere between rounds 2-4. Shane Vereen and Ridley were 2nd and 3rd round picks respectively.

Kareem Hunt, he of the 1,200 rushing yards and 8 rushing TDs was taken at #86 in the 3rd round of the 2016 draft.

The value just isn't there for a runningback. Particularly not with two 1st rounders. Taking a shot in round 2 or 3 on a RB with upside and athleticism is perfectly fine though.

This will be a terribly unpopular thought, but I’d personally feel more comfortable giving up 3 high round picks including the two firsts, to take Barkley, who I think could be more of a “sure thing” than any of the QBs. This is all hypothetical anyway, since none of these scenarios will happen and 3 high round picks wouldn’t be enough, but I think a franchise RB who can produce both as a bell cow back and a shifty receiver a la Elliot/Bell is worth quite a bit.

We’ve all seen what a superb rushing attack and strong defense can do, and I think you could take a flier on a guy like Falk, White, etc, with less of a gamble. I’m not all that sold on any of these so-called “franchise” QBs. I watched Darnold look like a bad high schooler at times. He looked downright pathetic in some of the bigger games. Allen and Jackson seem to have accuracy issues. Mayfield is already a loose cannon and has some questions due to his height and maturity. Rosen may be the safest choice.

I’m not suggesting that all of these QBs will fail because they won’t, but I’m pondering the idea of the RB being less of a gamble, and I haven’t seen anyone bring that possibility up, yet. Again, it’s a pointless exercise, but with all of this talk about moving up into the top 4-5, it’s something that I’m surprised didn’t at least get some discussion.

Three high picks including two 1st rounders for a Runningback?

It'll never happen. Pats value RB's pretty low and you have a chance to get a very good one anywhere between rounds 2-4. Shane Vereen and Ridley were 2nd and 3rd round picks respectively.

Kareem Hunt, he of the 1,200 rushing yards and 8 rushing TDs was taken at #86 in the 3rd round of the 2016 draft.

The value just isn't there for a runningback. Particularly not with two 1st rounders. Taking a shot in round 2 or 3 on a RB with upside and athleticism is perfectly fine though.
Yes, I understand, but I’m simply comparing the safety of the pick to that of gambling with any of the QBs.

If you’re going to trade up, you’d better make sure that you hit on the pick, that’s all.

Well, looks like this thread was a waste of four pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand