PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns now say pick #4 is for sale. IMO we go for it....but not a QB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think there's any chance that Belichick would do that, you haven't been even paying remote attention to this team the past 20 years. Or you celebrated 4/20 for a week.

1. Draft JAG in round 2
  2. Trade JAG for a 2nd round pick
  3. Trade a bunch of picks to move up to take a new QB at the top of the first round

Am I the only one who can picture BB nearly choking to death on the mere thought of that scenario?

The whole idea is rather silly, in my opinion. They’ll have to choose from a second/third tier of QB like Rudolph, Lauletta, White, etc and make the best of coaching him up. There’s no reason to sacrifice a few high round draft selections in order to take such a gamble. I also think some are undervaluing what it would take to move up so high based on a universal trading scale that may be outdated and/or irrelevant to trading with the N.England Patriots. For instance, trading both of the first rounders (23 and 31) may only get us to around 14-15, despite what the score suggests. Adding in a second probably isn’t going to get us all the way up to #4.

Selecting players (and possibly trading high into next year) will address both the current and future needs, while obviously letting them have more bites at the apple in an attempt to not only keep the team very competitive, but also prepare for times without Brady and Belichick.

Oh I think our best hope for anything like that is hoping that the Bills feel comfortable not trading up based on who the first 5 picks go (if Browns go Allen, Giants go Barkley, and Jets go Mayfield then maybe they will be content with either Darnold, Rosen or Barkley falling to them even if the Broncos pick). Then we are trying to trade into the top 10 to jump the Bills and and Cardinals.

Aside from that you hope Jackson falls past them and all of a sudden you have to jump to 14 to get him before the Ravens.

Oh I think our best hope for anything like that is hoping that the Bills feel comfortable not trading up based on who the first 5 picks go (if Browns go Allen, Giants go Barkley, and Jets go Mayfield then maybe they will be content with either Darnold, Rosen or Barkley falling to them even if the Broncos pick). Then we are trying to trade into the top 10 to jump the Bills and and Cardinals.

Aside from that you hope Jackson falls past them and all of a sudden you have to jump to 14 to get him before the Ravens.
It’s possible they could get Jackson by trading their two first rounders, although I don’t think I’d be too thrilled with the move. Then again, BB and McDaniels never call for my opinion, and sometimes we’re all thankful for that.

1. Draft JAG in round 2
  2. Trade JAG for a 2nd round pick
  3. Trade a bunch of picks to move up to take a new QB at the top of the first round
Am I the only one who can picture BB nearly choking to death on the mere thought of that scenario?

He wouldn't care. The situation when he drafted JAG was entirely different. Brady was coming off his worst year and JAG was considered insurance who wasn't also a draft reach. If he didn't work out, it wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world because you were still betting on Brady.

Today you have to go in assuming this "the next rookie QB we draft will still be under his rookie contract when Tom Brady can no longer play". You have to look at the next QB you draft as a massive commitment and as the guy you intend to role with as your starting franchise QB.

It’s possible they could get Jackson by trading their two first rounders, although I don’t think I’d be too thrilled with the move. Then again, BB and McDaniels never call for my opinion, and sometimes we’re all thankful for that.

For the 4 or 5 which is the only safe bet to get Jackson imo you would need to outdo whatever the Bills could do. And they could offer two higher first rounders.

If he falls in the mid teens you have a shot.

Here's the thing. He'll be one of the first 5 QB's taken and we know the Browns/Jets/Bills/Cardinals are going QB and the Giants/Broncos are a possible threat for QB.

Of course he'd care.
No he wouldn't because he is smart enough to know the situation today is not the situation it was 5 years ago. You don't lose sleep over making the best decision at the time.

At the time Brady hadn't won a Super Bowl in 9 seasons and was coming off his worst season. It was smart to look at insurance while still knowing you had Brady. It was a happy misfortune that Jimmy turned out really good (as intended) and Brady won 2 SB's and played the best 4 year stretch of football in his career (as hoped) anyways. You got two best case scenarios and had to choose one.

Today you don't have the situation where you can just assume Brady will be at a super high level at 45/46. If he is, then we hit the jackpot. Regardless it's time to look for a real player that you intend to be the successor.

No he wouldn't because he is smart enough to know the situation today is not the situation it was 5 years ago. You don't lose sleep over making the best decision at the time.

At the time Brady hadn't won a Super Bowl in 9 seasons and was coming off his worst season. It was smart to look at insurance while still knowing you had Brady. It was a happy misfortune that Jimmy turned out really good (as intended) and Brady won 2 SB's and played the best 4 year stretch of football in his career (as hoped) anyways. You got two best case scenarios and had to choose one.

Today you don't have the situation where you can just assume Brady will be at a super high level at 45/46. If he is, then we hit the jackpot. Regardless it's time to look for a real player that you intend to be the successor.

Nonsense

Of course he'd care. Having to move forward is not the same as not caring.

Nonsense

Of course he'd care. Having to move forward is not the same as not caring.
You make the best decision at the time. If you waste time thinking about how a situation changed in 5 years you wouldn’t be a good leader. If Belichick knew that Brady would have the next 4 years he had, he never would have drafted Jimmy. You can play that game all day. It’s pointless. He made the right decision at the time.

If the Pats move up, I hope it's for a franchise DT. A 1st and a 2nd could get us up high enough for Vita Vea, he looks like a mix of Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour. :)

For the 4 or 5 which is the only safe bet to get Jackson imo you would need to outdo whatever the Bills could do. And they could offer two higher first rounders.

If he falls in the mid teens you have a shot.

Here's the thing. He'll be one of the first 5 QB's taken and we know the Browns/Jets/Bills/Cardinals are going QB and the Giants/Broncos are a possible threat for QB.
If we’re talking moving all the way up into the top 4-5, then two firsts surely isn’t going to cut it. Not even close. As a matter of fact, I’m skeptical to believe that both firsts AND #43 would be good enough. It probably wouldn’t be.

Also, if they’d somehow choose to give everything up and move into the top 4-5 just to take Lamar freaking Jackson, I’d absolutely lose my sh!t.

I was speaking to the idea of Jackson falling into the mid-teens and Belichick moving up 8-10 spots by parting with both firsts, but again, I wouldn’t be too thrilled with that idea, either. Personally, I don’t think they’ll move up more than a few spots, if that’s the direction they choose to go. I’m also expecting one of the first 5 picks to be traded into next year. With 2 thirds from comp picks, that could set us up nicely, again.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. You don't trade up that high for that many picks for anything but a QB. A DE isn't worth it. This is a deep draft in so many ways, you could add 4 quality players in the first two rounds in a way that could legitimately reshape the core of one side of the ball for years to come.

Unless you have someone whose a QB that you view as the heir apparent to Brady who you are in love with, it's stupid to make that trade.

Exactly

This will be a terribly unpopular thought, but I’d personally feel more comfortable giving up 3 high round picks including the two firsts, to take Barkley, who I think could be more of a “sure thing” than any of the QBs. This is all hypothetical anyway, since none of these scenarios will happen and 3 high round picks wouldn’t be enough, but I think a franchise RB who can produce both as a bell cow back and a shifty receiver a la Elliot/Bell is worth quite a bit.

We’ve all seen what a superb rushing attack and strong defense can do, and I think you could take a flier on a guy like Falk, White, etc, with less of a gamble. I’m not all that sold on any of these so-called “franchise” QBs. I watched Darnold look like a bad high schooler at times. He looked downright pathetic in some of the bigger games. Allen and Jackson seem to have accuracy issues. Mayfield is already a loose cannon and has some questions due to his height and maturity. Rosen may be the safest choice.

I’m not suggesting that all of these QBs will fail because they won’t, but I’m pondering the idea of the RB being less of a gamble, and I haven’t seen anyone bring that possibility up, yet. Again, it’s a pointless exercise, but with all of this talk about moving up into the top 4-5, it’s something that I’m surprised didn’t at least get some discussion.

This will be a terribly unpopular thought, but I’d personally feel more comfortable giving up 3 high round picks including the two firsts, to take Barkley, who I think could be more of a “sure thing” than any of the QBs. This is all hypothetical anyway, since none of these scenarios will happen and 3 high round picks wouldn’t be enough, but I think a franchise RB who can produce both as a bell cow back and a shifty receiver a la Elliot/Bell is worth quite a bit.

We’ve all seen what a superb rushing attack and strong defense can do, and I think you could take a flier on a guy like Falk, White, etc, with less of a gamble. I’m not all that sold on any of these so-called “franchise” QBs. I watched Darnold look like a bad high schooler at times. He looked downright pathetic in some of the bigger games. Allen and Jackson seem to have accuracy issues. Mayfield is already a loose cannon and has some questions due to his height and maturity. Rosen may be the safest choice.

I’m not suggesting that all of these QBs will fail because they won’t, but I’m pondering the idea of the RB being less of a gamble, and I haven’t seen anyone bring that possibility up, yet. Again, it’s a pointless exercise, but with all of this talk about moving up into the top 4-5, it’s something that I’m surprised didn’t at least get some discussion.
I don't think BB would spend the money at RB that a top 5 RB gets.

I don't think BB would spend the money at RB that a top 5 RB gets.
Probably not, although at roughly 6m a year it wouldn’t exactly be a terrible investment, either.
Many here were lobbying for that kind of money to keep Dion Lewis.

I wouldn’t move up to #4. This is a really volatile draft, which imo means that teams are going to move around for needs and specific prospects, and some prospects who have been highly rated throughout the process are going to slip down boards. Wait and see how the top fifteen play out and then decide upon any potential moves, or stay put and take the prospects who fell to them. I also agree that there is going to be really good value available in the 2nd round, and I could see making a move then to pluck a 1st round prospect who fell into the 2nd round. Should be an interesting draft.

That draft chart is kind of outdated. But, if they're going to move up that far and give up the kind of capital necessary to do it, it needs to be for one of the QBs. I don't like the idea of giving up that much to move into the top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back