PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Bolden signs with Dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not. But BBs always churning out the bottom few guys of the 53 you win some you lose some.

1) I don't think that we were planning to bring back Bolden. In any case, we kept special teamer Grissom and Grisby instead of Flowers, and Bolden. Also, for now, we have a healthy Ebner, King and Slater.

2) I'm fine with using a 2-day roster spot on a WR prospect for 2019, a prospect who is a potential to come back as special teams help in 2018.

3) We need 2 roster spots, one for an OL, and one for a WR. Lots of posters said that at the end of Day One. So, we signed Schwenke and Hansen. It is Schwenke that was the veteran that the patriots wanted to bring back. Perhaps the team made an arrangement with him, perhaps not.
====
As an aside, I would hope that Croston to another OL is being paid full salary. We need a backup.

Too bad: he was a good egg. Let's hope his replacement is not ... a bad egg, or or a chenelle of transfat, or something.

Too bad: he was a good egg. Let's hope his replacement is not ... a bad egg, or or a chenelle of transfat, or something.

As a RB, we brought in Michel and Hill.

At ST's, we brought back Grissom, King, Slater, Grisby and King.

I don't see a "replacement". The roster replacement was Schwenke.

Probably not. But BBs always churning out the bottom few guys of the 53 you win some you lose some.

If they really wanted to keep him, there was no reason to lose Bolden over the two stiffs that they claimed. It was a needless blunder. Dismissing it as "you win some you lose some" is ridiculous.

As a RB, we brought in Michel and Hill.

At ST's, we brought back Grissom, King, Slater, Grisby and King.

I don't see a "replacement". The roster replacement was Schwenke.

I was thinking more of his locker room presence than of his ST skills, valuable as they are. As good eggs go, Slater is a Jumbo, so I assume we'll be fine. Schwenke is the approximate shape of an egg, so that's promising.

If they really wanted to keep him, there was no reason to lose Bolden over the two stiffs that they claimed. It was a needless blunder. Dismissing it as "you win some you lose some" is ridiculous.
Not dismissing it. They very likely wanted to bring back Bolden and they obviously misplayed it. It appears they did the same thing with Schwenke. Hence you win some you lose some. They had to do something about the WR position.

Good luck to Bolden, but it doesn't impact the team at all.

I wish him all the best, except when he lines up against New England. Then I hope he gets the fumble yips and contributes to Dolphin losses.

Not dismissing it. They very likely wanted to bring back Bolden and they obviously misplayed it. It appears they did the same thing with Schwenke. Hence you win some you lose some. They had to do something about the WR position.

For crying out loud. Just for once, stop mainlining the Koolaid. This wasn't a "you win some you lose some" situation. This was a "You done screwed the pooch, needlessly" situation. They are not the same thing.

If they absolutely could not move on without such an important, core player, they wouldn't have cut him in the first place.

Belichick has said it himself in the past. You don't cut someone you're not willing to lose.

If they absolutely could not move on without such an important, core player, they wouldn't have cut him in the first place.

Belichick has said it himself in the past. You don't cut someone you're not willing to lose.

They reportedly tried to get him back. So they wanted him and lost him over a pair of WR stiffs. Don't go down the same rabbit hole signbabybrady's already leapt into.

For crying out loud. Just for once, stop mainlining the Koolaid. This wasn't a "you win some you lose some" situation. This was a "You done screwed the pooch, needlessly" situation. They are not the same thing.
Whoa who peed in your Cheerios this morning? Quite argumentative over the 52nd and 53rd spot on the roster. Bill can do whatever he wants with those to spots and I'll drink the koolaide everytime.

Apparently, Bolden didn't want to wait.

Completely understandable. If he's on the roster for Week 1, his full salary is guaranteed. [More precisely, he's eligible for termination pay, which is the remainder of his 2018 salary.]

They reportedly tried to get him back. So they wanted him. Don't go down the same rabbit hole signbabybrady's already leapt into.

I'm sure they did try to keep him.

That said, if he were really an indispensable piece of the team, he never would have been cut in the first place.

For all the *****ing, and complaining, and gnashing of teeth about Belichick keeping core special teamers on the roster the last few seasons - I didn't think losing one, one who was truly a 'break glass in case of emergency' offensive player at this point - would spark such a visceral reaction.

Bolden's job on the team is covered by players who are already here, just as well. It's unfortunate the player's gone, but a little perspective is in order here, I think.

I'm sure if the Pats really wanted Boldin, they could have outbid Miami for him. I thought of the three core STers, he would be the one to make it over Slater and Ebner.

Given that they signed Ebner and Slater to two-year deals, but not Bolden, I would have been very surprised by that. Especially Slater, who had a $1M signing bonus.

Last year, the Pats cut Bolden (temporarily) in order to get another player onto the IR/Eligible to Return list, then brought him back the next day (or day after).

This year, I think the Pats were trying to do the same with Izzo, but they also left an extra roster spot open in case one of their waiver claims for a WR came through. Because two of them came through, they ended up having to send Izzo to IR early, thus ending his season, and there was no room to bring Bolden back immediately.

Since there were multiple reports that Bolden's helmet and gear were still in place in his locker, it seems reasonable to assume that the Pats intended to bring him back at some point this week or next week at the latest.

Apparently, Bolden didn't want to wait.

Agreed, and by signing with Miami now, his salary is guaranteed for the year. Patriots were probably going to bring him back after week one, whereupon his salary is not guaranteed.

They probably signed him for more than he was paid here- a matter of security.

Gase is trying to change the culture of the locker room. Shrewd move by him.

Whoa who peed in your Cheerios this morning? Quite argumentative over the 52nd and 53rd spot on the roster. Bill can do whatever he wants with those to spots and I'll drink the koolaide everytime.

Nobody peed in my Cheerios. You're allowed to make stupid posts that defend needless mistakes, and to consistently behave like a mindless zombie rather than a thinking human being. I'm allowed to call you out for making stupid posts that defend needless mistakes and for consistently behaving like a mindless zombie rather than a thinking human being.

The same is, or would be, true in the reverse.

That's what this place is for.

Last edited:
I'm sure they did try to keep him.

That said, if he were really an indispensable piece of the team, he never would have been cut in the first place.

For all the *****ing, and complaining, and gnashing of teeth about Belichick keeping core special teamers on the roster the last few seasons - I didn't think losing one, one who was truly a 'break glass in case of emergency' offensive player at this point - would spark such a visceral reaction.

Bolden's job on the team is covered by players who are already here, just as well. It's unfortunate the player's gone, but a little perspective is in order here, I think.

I've got no problem with Bolden being gone. He seems like a great guy, but I'm not worried about an ST only player who's not a P/K/LS, and is on a team that already has several good ST only guys. I've got a problem with him being cut loose for scraps, if they wanted him kept (which is what's been reported). Knowing what was likely to become available, it was obvious that must have WRs weren't making it the the second to last waiver slot. Must have OL weren't making it to the second to last waiver slot, either.

Or, to put it another way:

If this had happened in reverse, we'd be mocking the hell out the Dolphins.

Alright, Alright, Alright...Football is back, Let the brawling commence!!!!
140226190236-11-matthew-mcconaughey-exlarge-169.jpg

Good for him. He’s a winner and they certainly need more of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back