PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Bolden signs with Dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I never got the love for him on this board as a RB, he always was a solid special teamer. Sorry to see him leave in that respect.

Sorry to see him go. In honor of his six years of solid special teams performance with the Patriots, I'm linking to my favorite play of his. He did a good job snuffing this out.

Apparently Miami cut a Center to make room for Brandon.

Should we fly him in for a workout? :eek:

Last year, the Pats cut Bolden (temporarily) in order to get another player onto the IR/Eligible to Return list, then brought him back the next day (or day after).

This year, I think the Pats were trying to do the same with Izzo, but they also left an extra roster spot open in case one of their waiver claims for a WR came through. Because two of them came through, they ended up having to send Izzo to IR early, thus ending his season, and there was no room to bring Bolden back immediately.

Since there were multiple reports that Bolden's helmet and gear were still in place in his locker, it seems reasonable to assume that the Pats intended to bring him back at some point this week or next week at the latest.

Apparently, Bolden didn't want to wait.
They didn’t need to leave a roster spot open for claims. They could have kept him in the 53 then cut him after being awarded a player.
They cut him. It wasn’t him not wanting to wait it was the team saying they didn’t have a spot for him.

If you cut a player to make room for another player you make moves the next day. It's been 3 days since Saturday, the player will not risk and wait that longer with the season on the line specially with a offer sheet hands.

I think Bolden was a Patriot model, an unofficial team captain and would talk with BB about his intentions. I Believe BB wouldn't treat him like a JAG so I believe this move was in the best interest of both. Bolden can play RB in this league and catch passes in the backfield but he wouldn't get many touches here. He needs to show up on the stat sheet in order to follow Blount footsteeps and collect pay checks around the league. I believe Bolden can be a 500 yard RB and get in the 2-3 million pay range before calling it quits.

"Very" mediocre?

You have some odd standards.

You're right, "decidedly below average" would be better. 3.6, 3.8 and 3.1 YPC and no meaningful contributions in the passing game.

Not sure what world those numbers (and a couple of goal line fumbles) make him anything better than mediocre at best and probably better described as below average

They didn’t need to leave a roster spot open for claims. They could have kept him in the 53 then cut him after being awarded a player.
They cut him. It wasn’t him not wanting to wait it was the team saying they didn’t have a spot for him.

If they didn't have a spot in mind for him, why keep his pads, helmet and locker around. In 19 years have you ever seen them keep a guys stuff around without the intention of bringing him back?

According to Armando Salguero, the Dolphins contacted Bolden as soon as he was cut.
When the Patriots heard this, they tried to re-sign Bolden but were not successful.

Seems like maybe Bolden felt unappreciated by being the token "cut him for roster flexibility" guy

If they didn't have a spot in mind for him, why keep his pads, helmet and locker around. In 19 years have you ever seen them keep a guys stuff around without the intention of bringing him back?
I’m sure they thought there may be circumstances they bring him back under. But they decided not to.
I don’t have access to the locker room so I can’t answer that but I seem to remember lockers not being immediately cleaned out and players didn’t come back.
They didn’t clean out McCarron and he was exposed to waivers.

Seems like maybe Bolden felt unappreciated by being the token "cut him for roster flexibility" guy
That’s ridiculous. If they did that, they do it with his knowledge and understanding.

I think the simple matter of it is he wasn't in our present top 53 players (according to the team), and while he would have been one of the first in when a spot opened up here, Miami called first. You don't turn down a job now for a probable job later. I think it's also telling that Schwenke re-signed so soon after.

Brandon Bolden isn't in a position to feel that way. Hes a back of the roster player and he knows it

We aren't talking about Tom "I'm Underappreciated" Brady here:p

Someone offered him a job and he took it.

What's the point of cutting a guy and then resigning him a few days later, like they did last year and likely wanted to do this year? I don't get it.

Aside from possibly Marquise Hill, no.

I can't understand a world where people's first reactions to something are always, "How angry must this person have been to do this?" Not everything is about feeling snubbed. Not everything is about anger, revenge, and sticking it to your old boss. Some people (and teams) just move on. Everyone is so quick to turn the NFL into a soap opera.

What's the point of cutting a guy and then resigning him a few days later, like they did last year and likely wanted to do this year? I don't get it.

One example is if the team wants to get another payer on IR/Eligible to Return. In order for the player to be eligible to return, he cannot be placed on IR until AFTER he's officially made the 53-man roster (after the cutdown deadline). The team may cut a healthy player who's a vested veteran (IOW, not subject to waiver claims) before the deadline, THEN move the injured player to IR after the deadline, thus opening a roster spot for the cut player to be re-signed.

As Doug Kyed so eloquently put it, "It's a stupid rule."

Or it seems like bolden was just beat out in a numbers game.

One example is if the team wants to get another payer on IR/Eligible to Return. In order for the player to be eligible to return, he cannot be placed on IR until AFTER he's officially made the 53-man roster (after the cutdown deadline). The team may cut a healthy player who's a vested veteran (IOW, not subject to waiver claims) before the deadline, THEN move the injured player to IR after the deadline, thus opening a roster spot for the cut player to be re-signed.

As Doug Kyed so eloquently put it, "It's a stupid rule."

Thank you, that's very good information.

Bolden was very useful player . Never knew why he wasn't involved more in the offense.. too valuable on sts to be used in offense..? o_O. Which leads to what will Miami do with him...? We shall see.. ;)

Bolden was very useful player . Never knew why he wasn't involved more in the offense.. too valuable on sts to be used in offense..? o_O. Which leads to what will Miami do with him...? We shall see.. ;)
Not good enough in offense to be involved in offense.
He had his opportunity in 2015 when everyone got injured. The team chose to sign decrepit Steven Jackson and play him instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back