PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady on pace to get sacked a career-high 52 times

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is hanging onto the ball longer this season. I don't have the stat but am betting on it. Not having JE11 as a quick safety valve doesn't help either. Solder is obviously not 100% and that is an issue too.

They're going to need to or Brady won't last the season. Can't let a 40 year old absorb the kind of shots he's absorbing. He's as tough as they come, but the body simply doesn't recover like it used to at that age.
And, we forget that, last year, Brady, for all intents and purposes, played a 15 game season with three Bye weeks: Four Games, Bye, Eight Games, Bye, Two Games, Bye, SB.

I am NOT saying that accounts for his success, just that it is a fact.

Right now nothing's going right for this team. They're fortunate to be 2-2. I am still waiting for that game where you can say wow this team could make it to minneapolis.

He is hanging onto the ball longer this season. I don't have the stat but am betting on it. Not having JE11 as a quick safety valve doesn't help either. Solder is obviously not 100% and that is an issue too.

If anything, Brady is getting rid of the ball quicker this season. The tackle who is not 100% is Cannon.

Brady has to throw more often in order to out-score the opponent, so it stands to reason that he would be sacked more often too. My question is, are these sacks/total hits taken the result merely of a similar increase in pass attempts, or is he actually being hit at a greater percentage than 2014/2016?

Brady has to throw more often in order to out-score the opponent, so it stands to reason that he would be sacked more often too. My question is, are these sacks/total hits taken the result merely of a similar increase in pass attempts, or is he actually being hit at a greater percentage than 2014/2016?

Sack rate as % of snaps is his highest since 2001.

Code:
Year     Sk%
2001*    9.0
2002     4.9
2003     5.7
2004*    5.2
2005*    4.7
2006     4.8
2007*+   3.5
2008     0.0
2009*    2.8
2010*+   4.8
2011*    5.0
2012*    4.1
2013*    6.0
2014*    3.5
2015*    5.7
2016*    3.4
2017     7.7
Career   4.9

Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 10/3/2017.

Good thing Cannon is back playing, too
I remember a time when that statement would've been considered preposterous. He certainly redeemed himself last year, but this season so far has been rough for Cannon.

If anything, Brady is getting rid of the ball quicker this season. The tackle who is not 100% is Cannon.
Stats say otherwise. He was about 0.3 seconds longer than last year as I recall. Sorry I don't have the link.

Tom Brady on pace to get sacked a career-high 52 times

Clearly our defense is #1 concern, but this is really worrying. Regardless of age, our QB can't be hit all game, no QB could go through 16 games + playoffs unscratched like this.

Scar needs to work his magic fast. Good thing Cannon is back playing, too
Tom wants to break Tony Eason's record.

Someone needs to tell him it's not a good one to have.
th
"HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!"

Solder has way underperformed his $10m per year 2 year extension that (at the time) gave him Top 5 Tackle money. Seems he checked out after he was guaranteed $20m. Garbage last year, garbage in playoffs, garbage in Superbowl, garbage this year.

The only good thing he does is have the decency help a dazed/disoriented Tom Brady back to his feet after he gets tossed around to give up yet another sack.

Last edited:
Stats say otherwise. He was about 0.3 seconds longer than last year as I recall. Sorry I don't have the link.
Not surprised. he's throwing the long ball a lot and more screens so they take longer to develop. It's only partly Edelman not being there.

What are you assuming is going to change?

He's probably noting that making that extrapolation isn't necessarily valid. For instance, do we have examples of other years where the 16 game total was not four times the amount of the first four?

Also, the defense, running game and lack of receivers like Edelman and mitchell are probably short term factors.

I would bet on improvement over the season in those areas, much like the team has done over the years.

Don't be so harsh on Marcus Cannon he's battling ankle problems. That turn-style
Nate Solder needs to be replaced he's looked horrible every game.

Replaced with who? do you see a top ten or 20 pick coming our way? Most teams are struggling to fill the LT spot.

Replaced with who? do you see a top ten or 20 pick coming our way? Most teams are struggling to fill the LT spot.

I'm not a draft or college football guy so I have no idea but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the Pats take a LT with their 1 or 2 pick.

Sack rate as % of snaps is his highest since 2001.

Code:
Year     Sk%
2001*    9.0
2002     4.9
2003     5.7
2004*    5.2
2005*    4.7
2006     4.8
2007*+   3.5
2008     0.0
2009*    2.8
2010*+   4.8
2011*    5.0
2012*    4.1
2013*    6.0
2014*    3.5
2015*    5.7
2016*    3.4
2017     7.7
Career   4.9

Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 10/3/2017.

Are those after 4 games?

I'm not a draft or college football guy so I have no idea but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the Pats take a LT with their 1 or 2 pick.

Maybe they will, but what i understand is OLine is really weak and getting a possible backup at our pick isn't what we're looking for.

Maybe we can find a German who hasn't played much and has cancer.

Solder has way underperformed his $10m per year 2 year extension that (at the time) gave him Top 5 Tackle money. Seems he checked out after he was guaranteed $20m. Garbage last year, garbage in playoffs, garbage in Superbowl, garbage this year.

The only good thing he does is have the decency help a dazed/disoriented Tom Brady back to his feet after he gets tossed around to give up yet another sack.
I thought Solder played much better this past week.

Don't be so harsh on Marcus Cannon he's battling ankle problems. That turn-style
Nate Solder needs to be replaced he's looked horrible every game.

Solder battled an injury for most of TC and the preseason IIRC. Hopefully it's just getting up to game speed.

Actually I read a couple of posted tweets during one of the game day threads after Solder missed warmups that he was either in the locker room nursing a hamstring or taking a leak. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST