PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle Thoughts - the West Coast edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I almost posted something before the game to the effect that the Pats were in a no win situation in this game. If they won big, it would passed off as a product of SF's ineptitude, if they won like they did, it would be passed off as the Pats' ineptitude. There was no way this team could have come out of this game looking good. And until they play and beat the Bronco's next month NOTHING this team does on the field will be met with any acceptance by the media, the whining part of the fan base, haters, and more than a few of us here (if the game day thread and all of last week's post game breast beating is any indication)

So be prepared for more of the same this week from the mediots, etc. You see the Pats are now forever graded on a higher scale than the rest of the league. It's a grade where mere wins are not good enough to satisfy the so called arbitors of what is good and bad and the week will be filled with criticisms and angst about the coming weeks. I know I won't be listening to it, just like I didn't last week. Try it, you blood pressure will be better for it.

But the game has some interesting insights to talk about and some real critiques to make on first impression. So lets get started, I want to watch Madam Secretary, Elementary, and still get this done before 2am. ;)

The Offense:

1. The OL - Brady was sacked just once, and that was a one of those one handed sacks that we all hate to see happen since we've missed about a dozen of those sacks this season already....and the running game accounted 171 more yards. Doug Kyam tweeted that "Brady looked uncomfortable for most of the game", yet I would say the opposite. Brady looked entirely comfortable with his protection, which constantly gave him holes to step up or move within the pocket. In fact about the only time the protection failed was on Brady's TD pass to Amendola, when the protection failed to create middle that middle hole and Brady just made a fantastic play.

Solder WAS guilty of the hold that negated Blount's TD run and might have blown the game open early. But in his defense, at least his hold was at the point of attack and critical to the success of the play. So often we see killer penalties called that weren't germain to the play.

Finally Marcus Cannon was excellent.....AGAIN. He was never mentioned (always a good thing for an offensive lineman) but on a replay you could see him eat up a rusher. BTW- Cliff Avril, who got his 10th sack today (tied for first in the league) is the same guy Cannon stoned last week.

2. Receivers

a. If I were Marty Bennett, I'd be pissed. No Gronk and only 3 targets. Meanwhile SF was fully using their TE's to great effect (at least in the first half). I really hope only winning matters to him, because he was very underutilized in this game.

b. Edelman must have some of those Brady Italian pictures because he got almost half of Brady's 40 throws targetted to him, plus 2 runs. It seemed to be complete overkill to me on Brady's part. Meanwhile Edelman wound up with only 8 catches on those 16-20 odd targets, but he was open on more than a few of them, but Brady wasn't his usual accurate self on his long throws this week.

c. Amendola - was once again made the most of his targets and again made an impact on the game while playing limited snaps

d. Mitchell - Well if this is "a start of a beautiful relationship", it was a good one. Mitchell not only had 4 big catches for almost 100 yds, his best catch of the day was the OTB's catch. He showed great hands, good speed, and nice adjustments. He has already shown some flashes this season, and this one confirms all the good feelings we had about this kid. It was nice that he got his first TD today. Hopefully more will follow.

3. RB's. I know James White had done yoeman's work for us this season, but if today pointed out one thing, it was the talent gap between him and Dion Lewis is a big one. Everytime Lewis touched the ball he made at least one person miss, even on his one yard run. Everytime White got the ball, the first guy who touched him was the guy who got credit for the tackle.

I have been calling all season for the Pats to use LGB more in the passing game, if only to break some strong tendencies. Well it's clear no one is listening. BUT having Lewis back there DOES give us a decent run/pass option from the RB position that we don't have with Jame White back there. White is an excellent back up to have, but his limitations limit this offense for getting to be all it can be. I suspect his snaps will only decrease while Lewis is healthy.

b. LGB was at the top of his game, with over 120 yds, and 6.5 ypc. I really wanted him to get that TD at the end, but kneeling was the right thing to do. He may not be a great RB, but he is a very good one, and more than enough to make this offense work.

QB- Not Brady's best work of the year. He "only' completed 60% of his passes, and missed on a couple of long passes that were open and had about 50 yds taken away by mere inches on the sideline. Once again I was astounded by his footwork and escapablity in the pocket. I can't recall it EVER being better. Missing those few deep throws only made him seem human. That being said I have 2 complaints to lodge about Tom. First was he seeming obsession with getting the ball to Edelman most of the game. Mitchell actually could have 2 TD's today, if Brady had seen him wide open in the 4th when instead he went with Edelman for the first down. The 2nd is his seeming inability to throw the ball to a player who isn't completely open.

In a league where more and more QB's are throwing those 50/50 balls all over the place and getting results I wish Brady would do it more often. The perfect example was at the end of the first half, when he refused to let it go, even on the last play of the half. Watching him refuse to take a shot, when he was standing for 4 or 5 seconds without pulling the trigger sometimes pisses me off. I know someone is at least partially open out there. Bennett, Gronk, Hogan and Mitchell give him 4 bigger and stronger guys to throw to in those situations. Maybe 17 years of "throwing to the open man" is just too much for him to adjust to, but I wish he'd just do it a little bit more often.

4. Defense

a. DL - before we all over the DL for not shutting down the Niner running attack, concider the offense they run. Most of the time it's a true read option which takes away potential defenders from the point of attack to cover the QB and passing threats. Besides Hyde is a good RB playing on a bad team. Given that, the 110 yds they gave up was reasonable and really didn't hurt the defense. The 5 sacks and multiple pressures will be ignored by the whiners. It will never be enough, because most of those sacks were by design and NOT cause by individual effort, and we all know that individual effort is much more important that good results. :rolleyes:

BTW- It was another strong game by Malcolm Brown in the middle Not much on the stat sheet, but I noticed him a lot.

LB's Well Hightower made at least one impact play with a strip sack, but otherwise was pretty quiet. He was too often a penny late and a dollar short in coverage, and I want more than 6 tackles from my top potential FA if in fact he wants to be my top free agent priority.

b. Elandon Roberts looked like a low round rookie today. He was lost in coverage and not much of a factor in the run game. LB's should have huge days against teams that run read option. He didn't.

c. Ninko, Van Noy both flashed on occassion, while McClellan, despite 4 tackles, didn't...at least to my eyes.

d. I still want to see Mingo get more of a run at LB in the regular D. I think we need his speed and long arms in coverage would be an improvement over Hightower and Roberts and if he's coming from the middle he has proven he can be a factor in the pass rush. Where I don't see him helping is as an edge rusher from the DE position. I saw him lined up there a few times at the end of the game and each time he got stoned on the LOS. Just not enough lead in the pants to do that job. If he's to rush off the edge he needs to do it from a LB position.

e. A MUCH better job by the DB's today. They didn't even try to throw on Butler. Ryan had a much better game and contested a lot of throws. Also Rowe gets a thumbs up. He provided tight coverage most of the time and got his head turned around on that key 3rd down deep pass that "might have gotten called if he hadn't.

MOST of the damage done by the Niners were throws to their RB's and TE's crossing in zone coverages or pick plays. That is stuff that can be fixed over the next 6 games I believe. But the improvement will have to come from LB's or dime backs. Maybe it's time for Cyrus Jones to make an impact in the secondary.

f. A quick check of the stats showed that, after a very slow start, the defense ended up only allowing a 35% conversion rate on 3rd down

g. My final comment about the defense is an old one and my biggest concern right now. Its the virtual lack of any TO's that is really starting to disturb me. Now SF fumbled 5 times according to the stats, and we got NONE of them. Statistically if you fumble the ball you have a 50/50 shot at getting it. Clearly we defied the odds. I haven't seen us miss so many fumble opportunities since the 2011 superbowl. :eek: Taking the ball away a few times would make these games a LOT easier to win.

5. ST's did solid job all around. I didn't even worry about Gotskowski's miss. It looked like a slip on his approach to me. If it wasn't that it was something different about his approach to that kick than his others. The rest of the coverage was excellent and DA did some nice work on punt returns

General Comments.

1. I did see a bit of the Dallas/Ravens game, and Dallas looks like the real deal. I'm not sure how good their defense is, but their offense is going to cause a LOT of problems for any team that faces them. Dax Prescott looked very impressive to me, both in his accuracy and poise. They have a lot of bigger receivers to throw 50-50 balls to and an Edelman clone as a safety valve. It took me a long time to get to this point, but they look like the class of the NFC.....thus far.

2. Always happy to see the Ravens lose, even though I usually root for the AFC team when it isn't the Jets, Colts, Ravens, or Denver.

3. With the Bills and Dolphins winning again, the AFCE is the 2nd best division in the conference

4. I REALLY hope the Jets stick with the Bryce Petty experience this week. Fitzpatrick has had a horrible season to date, but he IS capable of putting up some great numbers on a given Sunday, and I just don't want it to be NEXT Sunday.

5. I thought the officials did a good job today, by mostly keeping the flags in their pockets with only 15 being accepted. The Pats had one of their better days with only getting flagged 5 times for 40 yds with half of that coming on 2 concecutive plays (Solder and Brady) Most of the Niner penalties were procedure and off sides to go along with 2 unsportsmanlikes 68. IIRC there was only one long PI called that was a key play in the Niner's first drive, and it looked like a good call.

6. Looking ahead at the schedule, it looks like there are only 3 threats over the last 6 games, and 2 of those don't exactly have me shaking in my boots (Ravens, Dolphins) I oddly feel pretty good about the Bronco game as well. We shall see.

7. I didn't watch any of the post game stuff, so I'll leave that to you to fill me in.

OK 1:20am I give up. This should be enough to start the discussion. I await your comments....but not until tomorrow. ;)

Last edited:
a. If I were Marty Bennett, I'd be pissed. No Gronk and only 3 targets. Meanwhile SF was fully using their TE's to great effect (at least in the first half). I really hope only winning matters to him, because he was very underutilized in this game.

There's no ego in T-E-A-M, PFK ;-)
I'm not worried. Gronk and Bennett help each other out. The wonderful thing about having 2 great tight ends is they can feed off each other, or if one is having a quiet day, then the other can go off.

d. Mitchell - Well if this is "a start of a beautiful relationship", it was a good one. Mitchell not only had 4 big catches for almost 100 yds, his best catch of the day was the OTB's catch. He showed great hands, good speed, and nice adjustments. He has already shown some flashes this season, and this one confirms all the good feelings we had about this kid. It was nice that he got his first TD today. Hopefully more will follow.

Real good day from the rookie. The key for Mitchell is to learn where he needs to be -- which is where Brady expects him. So if that continues to happen and he builds confidence with one of the best QB's in the NFL today, or ever, good things will continue to happen.

3. RB's. I know James White had done yoeman's work for us this season, but if today pointed out one thing, it was the talent gap between him and Dion Lewis is a big one. Everytime Lewis touched the ball he made at least one person miss, even on his one yard run. Everytime White got the ball, the first guy who touched him was the guy who got credit for the tackle.

I've been saying the same thing even before we got Dion back healthy. White is a nice player who will make good contributions. But Dion is pure electricity. He can make plays happen, sometimes all by himself.

In a league where more and more QB's are throwing those 50/50 balls all over the place and getting results I wish Brady would do it more often. The perfect example was at the end of the first half, when he refused to let it go, even on the last play of the half. Watching him refuse to take a shot, when he was standing for 4 or 5 seconds without pulling the trigger sometimes pisses me off. I know someone is at least partially open out there. Bennett, Gronk, Hogan and Mitchell give him 4 bigger and stronger guys to throw to in those situations. Maybe 17 years of "throwing to the open man" is just too much for him to adjust to, but I wish he'd just do it a little bit more often.

Isn't that called, throw up a 50/50 ball and hope to draw one of those little yellow flags? Personally I'm glad that Brady remains disciplined. It's for this reason that he has one of the best TD to INT ratios in the history of the NFL. Brady has learned the importance of not killing the team with unnecessary mistakes.

I'll take that every time over a 'gunslinger' who thinks he can make something out of nothing and causes a turnover half of the time. I will say that Brady has added that back shoulder throw to big targets though. He will throw contested balls when he knows his man has a great chance of winning the battle.

BTW Only in New England, can a QB pass for 280 yards 4 TDs with a 114 QBR and fans complain he had an 'off day'. Aren't we getting a LITTLE spoiled here, Ken? Hell Grogan or Flutie would have killed to put up those types of numbers.

g. My final comment about the defense is an old one and my biggest concern right now. Its the virtual lack of any TO's that is really starting to disturb me. Now SF fumbled 5 times according to the stats, and we got NONE of them. Statistically if you fumble the ball you have a 50/50 shot at getting it. Clearly we defied the odds. I haven't seen us miss so many fumble opportunities since the 2011 superbowl. :eek: Taking the ball away a few times would make these games a LOT easier to win.

Turnovers always help. But the fumble recovery rate today was probably just a statistical fluke. I'm just glad that we corrected a lot of what went wrong against the Seahawks. We've got a long way to go, and improvements can always be made. But it was very encouraging to see our secondary be a strength this game.

Now who's going to rush the passer for us? :) Oh yeah, that's right, we ended up with 5 sacks and the pressure came from all over the field. Chung, Hightower, Van Noy, Long, and Valentine all got sacks. If you don't have the best individual rushing talent, you can still scheme pressure.

As a final note -- Congratulations to Tom Brady for playing a very impressive game against his boyhood team, in front of his family, etc., and most importantly winning the game. Because I know to Brady that is the ultimate accomplishment, not the stats, but the W.

With today's win, Tom Terrific also tied Brett Favre for 2nd in the all time career wins list. And I believe it's safe to say he will top the #1 spot later this season. As the #1 holder is Peyton Manning with 200 career wins. Go Tom and Go Patriots!! Let's continue to win... and rub it in Goody's face!! :)

Thought Mitchell was outstanding. As has been noted in other threads, BB thought his block on the DB during LG's big 1st quarter run was his best play. You could tell LG loved it as well and knew that, without Mitchell, the gain would have been far shorter.

Looking ahead, I agree with your sentiment surrounding the section of our fanbase who won't be satisfied with a defensive performance until we can 'prove' ourselves against Denver. Notwithstanding, if you accept that line of thinking (which I don't), I think that a good showing against Baltimore should satisfy them somewhat. They definitely don't have me shaking in my boots either, but I think that the speed of Smith Sr (although not what it was)/Wallace/Perriman will provide a good challenge for our DBs along with Aiken.

Personally I'm glad that Brady remains disciplined. It's for this reason that he has one of the best TD to INT ratios in the history of the NFL. Brady has learned the importance of not killing the team with unnecessary mistakes.

I'll take that every time over a 'gunslinger' who thinks he can make something out of nothing and causes a turnover half of the time. I will say that Brady has added that back shoulder throw to big targets though. He will throw contested balls when he knows his man has a great chance of winning the battle.

BTW Only in New England, can a QB pass for 280 yards 4 TDs with a 114 QBR and fans complain he had an 'off day'. Aren't we getting a LITTLE spoiled here, Ken? Hell Grogan or Flutie would have killed to put up those types of numbers.

My thoughts, as well.

I think that a good showing against Baltimore should satisfy them somewhat. They definitely don't have me shaking in my boots either, but I think that the speed of Smith Sr (although not what it was)/Wallace/Perriman will provide a good challenge for our DBs along with Aiken.

It isn't necessarily the BAL offense that I worry about, considering that their defense currently lead the NFL in yards allowed at 281 per game. Like you, I'm not exactly shaking in my boots, but I definitely take them seriously and I'm sure the team will, too.

Madam Secretary? o_O

Heh, seriously though, solid write up and one of my favorite weekly "columns" to read. That said, I echo the other sentiments that it's Brady's discipline is part of what makes him so valuable. I can't imagine tossing another 3-4 INTs into the turnover battle this season.

I thought White played with some extra toughness, bowling over that one defender to get into the end zone and lowering his pads on another run. Lewis' return might have lit a small fire with White, but you're right; Lewis is something else to watch.

It looked to me that the Solder penalty was a case of the 49er guy slipping and Solder's arm riding up as a result, making it look worse than it was. I understand the call in real time, but it was unfortunate.

I hope so too, that he cares only about wins. Look at bennett on the amendola TD. looks simply disinterested after the TD,standing next to him, not going to congratulate Danny ,nothing.

Obviously we don't get a great view every play for a particular player but I thought Bennet would have been one of the stars of the game and only targeted 3 times. Maybe if Brady took about 5 targets away from edelman and hit Bennet a couple times our offense might not have sputtered.

Way to many targets to Edelman and he isn't really the over the top type receiver. Not only that but during the sputtering portion of the game Brady was trying to squeeze the ball to Edelman over the middle and it just wasn't there.

Hopefully it was a fun game for them to just mess around with and get stats in their home town... I don't know it didn't make much sense.

Last edited:
Real good day from the rookie. The key for Mitchell is to learn where he needs to be -- which is where Brady expects him. So if that continues to happen and he builds confidence with one of the best QB's in the NFL today, or ever, good things will continue to happen.

May be off base, but seeing a David Givens like trajectory for Mitchell.

Hard to watch a game on TV and see more of what is going on, other then the highlighted play. My impression was that Bennett and Edelman were getting the focus of the SF defense. Brady forced one throw to Bennett in tight coverage and it went through his hands, after that Bennett wasn't targeted much by Brady. Brady was forcing the ball to Edelman as it seems that is the only receiver he trusts in tight coverage. Bennett does not have the ability to get open like Gronk can. I thought Mitchell was finally getting to the right place at the right time. I thought the OL played great. It was nice that both sides of the OL line were opening holes for Blount to run through. Usually it seems he always ran to the left side.

The running game looked great as it should have against the SF defense. Blount looked great and I was rooting for him to get a TD at the end of the game. Nice to see Lewis get his feet wet. Looks like he is able to be a major part of the running game if needed. Looks like Lewis spelled Blount and White was just used in the passing game. Both White and Lewis were effective in the passing game but Lewis is clearly better at the run game.

I thought the DL had a good game. Not a dominating performance as they could have set the edge better.
The LB group is a work in progress as BB tries to figure out how to replace Collins coverage skills that are no longer available. I thought there was better communication and a lot less confusion this game. Still, there is room for improvement. The secondary had a great game. Does anybody know if McCourty was playing CB or strong safety for part of the game? He was sure playing alot closer to the LOS then he normally does. It's nice to see that they did not make an average QB look like a Hall of Fame one.

ST had a good game other then Ghosts missed PA and Allen one less then stellar punt. It nice to see that BB trusted Cyrus Jones on Kickoffs in raining conditions. I though for sure he would be benched again after his fumble last week. Ghost missed the PA but all his other tries were solid, so I think he is over whatever troubles he had. Still I wondered at the end of the half if they could have let Ghost try a long FG one in the rain but it was probably too far. Too bad Slater got injured, last report I saw he had a walking boot on and was on crutches.

I thought it was one of the best officiated games this season.

Great write up as usual, one of the best reads for me on any website all week.

In my opinion not enough is being made of the weather conditions. The difficulty which Brady had was forcing him to go back to Edelman as his security blanket the way Brady often did with his favoured slot receiver. With Gronk out and Hogan not an option either I was not surprised at all that Brady favoured Edelman a lot with the targets.

Colin Kaepernick was having trouble holding onto the ball, passes coming out less than tight spirals and fumbles. The weather made it more difficult yesterday for all QBs. I doubt many of you watched the Miami @ LA game but neither QB there could do anything in the wet conditions in California yesterday. So I'm going to give Brady a better rating than most today because I think he acquitted himself very well in the conditions and he used the run game sensibly.

Very nice to see Dion Lewis back in the team. He really adds another dimension to the offence and I think any team is going to find it very tough to stop us going forward in the play-offs if we can avoid injuries.

How badly injured is Michael Slater? Perhaps give him some rest if needed as he is essential to the team in the play-offs.

Should we be hearing news about Tre' Jackson and Seb Vollmer this week? Don't we have to make a decision whether to move them from PUP to IR, play them or cut them?

My thoughts, as well.

I second this. Great post @VJCPatriot.

I'll just add this chart of SF's drives:

IMG_20161120_230237.jpg

So the Niners only gained 3 1st downs after their TD drive & pre garbage time. Some are going to bemoan the fact that it is the Niners, but I don't care who they played, that's improvement over what we've seen in previous weeks. And there is still time to improve it further.

Once again kudos for not only an informative piece, but well written as well.

What concerns me greatly are the mediots who will tear this apart and lament every decision BB has made in the past two years in their quest to make it more about them, and less about the Patriots. You touched on this in your second paragraph..

In the past I could not wait for sportstalk radio, now I cannot wait to turn it off.. unfortunately the guys who know the most about the game are drowned out by self absorbed low information commentators..

One thing you did not mention was the weather and its impact, particularly in the first half, from afar HD seems to make it disappear... but if you noticed the shots horizontally it was raining very hard, which may have impacted 1st half play..

Would like more input but it seemed to me that SF was only rushing 3 most of the time and on occasion blitzing a fourth except when Blount was in the game. So I agree with the "throw more with Blount in the backfield" sentiment to shake things up a bit. Tough to throw against 8 in coverage especially when 3 DL are getting pressure.

I agree with getting Benett getting more targets even if it's 50/50 throws when up by 2 TD's.

Good stuff Ken.

I want to watch Madam Secretary, Elementary, and still get this done before 2am. ;)

Good thing for us that "Matlock" and"Murder She Wrote" aren't still on the air :D

Seriously though, awesome work as always. Two quick points to respond on:

1. Ignore the mediot noise, all they care about is attention and "things are horrible" is the way to get it. Works for them a lot better than insight and fact-finding.

2. Agree about the OL, and to me this is a great under the radar story. What Scar has done this year is spectacular but as usual taken for granted. Isn't it funny how with all the talent BB has cultivated here, the one guy he inherited on his coaching/admin team may be the most valuable?

"MOST of the damage done by the Niners were throws to their RB's and TE's crossing in zone coverages or pick plays. That is stuff that can be fixed over the next 6 games I believe. "

People keep saying this and I think people will continue to say it until the week before the season ends. "Sure, their defense isn't great but they have ONE more week to fix it! Don't worry!"

How come they haven't fixed it in the previous nine games?

It isn't necessarily the BAL offense that I worry about, considering that their defense currently lead the NFL in yards allowed at 281 per game. Like you, I'm not exactly shaking in my boots, but I definitely take them seriously and I'm sure the team will, too.

Baltimore's D is always up for facing Brady. That game does worry me. Dallas is the real deal. They will be a tough out for anyone. Their O-line is excellent and they have sold overall play on both sides of the ball.

I almost posted something before the game to the effect that the Pats were in a no win situation in this game. If they won big, it would passed off as a product of SF's ineptitude, if they won like they did, it would be passed off as the Pats' ineptitude. There was no way this team could have come out of this game looking good. And until they play and beat the Bronco's next month NOTHING this team does on the field will be met with any acceptance by the media, the whining part of the fan base, haters, and more than a few of us here (if the game day thread and all of last week's post game breast beating is any indication)

So be prepared for more of the same this week from the mediots, etc. You see the Pats are now forever graded on a higher scale than the rest of the league. It's a grade where mere wins are not good enough to satisfy the so called arbitors of what is good and bad and the week will be filled with criticisms and angst about the coming weeks. I know I won't be listening to it, just like I didn't last week. Try it, you blood pressure will be better for it.

But the game has some interesting insights to talk about and some real critiques to make on first impression. So lets get started, I want to watch Madam Secretary, Elementary, and still get this done before 2am. ;)

The Offense:

1. The OL - Brady was sacked just once, and that was a one of those one handed sacks that we all hate to see happen since we've missed about a dozen of those sacks this season already....and the running game accounted 171 more yards. Doug Kyam tweeted that "Brady looked uncomfortable for most of the game", yet I would say the opposite. Brady looked entirely comfortable with his protection, which constantly gave him holes to step up or move within the pocket. In fact about the only time the protection failed was on Brady's TD pass to Amendola, when the protection failed to create middle that middle hole and Brady just made a fantastic play.

Solder WAS guilty of the hold that negated Blount's TD run and might have blown the game open early. But in his defense, at least his hold was at the point of attack and critical to the success of the play. So often we see killer penalties called that weren't germain to the play.

Finally Marcus Cannon was excellent.....AGAIN. He was never mentioned (always a good thing for an offensive lineman) but on a replay you could see him eat up a rusher. BTW- Cliff Avril, who got his 10th sack today (tied for first in the league) is the same guy Cannon stoned last week.

2. Receivers

b. Edelman must have some of those Brady Italian pictures because he got almost half of Brady's 40 throws targetted to him, plus 2 runs. It seemed to be complete overkill to me on Brady's part. Meanwhile Edelman wound up with only 8 catches on those 16-20 odd targets, but he was open on more than a few of them, but Brady wasn't his usual accurate self on his long throws this week.

c. Amendola - was once again made the most of his targets and again made an impact on the game while playing limited snaps

I have been calling all season for the Pats to use LGB more in the passing game, if only to break some strong tendencies. Well it's clear no one is listening. BUT having Lewis back there DOES give us a decent run/pass option from the RB position that we don't have with Jame White back there. White is an excellent back up to have, but his limitations limit this offense for getting to be all it can be. I suspect his snaps will only decrease while Lewis is healthy.

b. LGB was at the top of his game, with over 120 yds, and 6.5 ypc. I really wanted him to get that TD at the end, but kneeling was the right thing to do. He may not be a great RB, but he is a very good one, and more than enough to make this offense work.

QB- Not Brady's best work of the year. He "only' completed 60% of his passes, and missed on a couple of long passes that were open and had about 50 yds taken away by mere inches on the sideline. Once again I was astounded by his footwork and escapablity in the pocket. I can't recall it EVER being better. Missing those few deep throws only made him seem human. That being said I have 2 complaints to lodge about Tom. First was he seeming obsession with getting the ball to Edelman most of the game. Mitchell actually could have 2 TD's today, if Brady had seen him wide open in the 4th when instead he went with Edelman for the first down. The 2nd is his seeming inability to throw the ball to a player who isn't completely open.

4. Defense

a. DL - before we all over the DL for not shutting down the Niner running attack, concider the offense they run. Most of the time it's a true read option which takes away potential defenders from the point of attack to cover the QB and passing threats. Besides Hyde is a good RB playing on a bad team. Given that, the 110 yds they gave up was reasonable and really didn't hurt the defense. The 5 sacks and multiple pressures will be ignored by the whiners. It will never be enough, because most of those sacks were by design and NOT cause by individual effort, and we all know that individual effort is much more important that good results. :rolleyes:

BTW- It was another strong game by Malcolm Brown in the middle Not much on the stat sheet, but I noticed him a lot.

LB's Well Hightower made at least one impact play with a strip sack, but otherwise was pretty quiet. He was too often a penny late and a dollar short in coverage, and I want more than 6 tackles from my top potential FA if in fact he wants to be my top free agent priority.

b. Elandon Roberts looked like a low round rookie today. He was lost in coverage and not much of a factor in the run game. LB's should have huge days against teams that run read option. He didn't.

c. Ninko, Van Noy both flashed on occassion, while McClellan, despite 4 tackles, didn't...at least to my eyes.

d. I still want to see Mingo get more of a run at LB in the regular D. I think we need his speed and long arms in coverage would be an improvement over Hightower and Roberts and if he's coming from the middle he has proven he can be a factor in the pass rush. Where I don't see him helping is as an edge rusher from the DE position. I saw him lined up there a few times at the end of the game and each time he got stoned on the LOS. Just not enough lead in the pants to do that job. If he's to rush off the edge he needs to do it from a LB position.

e. A MUCH better job by the DB's today. They didn't even try to throw on Butler. Ryan had a much better game and contested a lot of throws. Also Rowe gets a thumbs up. He provided tight coverage most of the time and got his head turned around on that key 3rd down deep pass that "might have gotten called if he hadn't.

MOST of the damage done by the Niners were throws to their RB's and TE's crossing in zone coverages or pick plays. That is stuff that can be fixed over the next 6 games I believe. But the improvement will have to come from LB's or dime backs. Maybe it's time for Cyrus Jones to make an impact in the secondary.

f. A quick check of the stats showed that, after a very slow start, the defense ended up only allowing a 35% conversion rate on 3rd down

5. ST's did solid job all around. I didn't even worry about Gotskowski's miss. It looked like a slip on his approach to me. If it wasn't that it was something different about his approach to that kick than his others. The rest of the coverage was excellent and DA did some nice work on punt returns

General Comments.

1. I did see a bit of the Dallas/Ravens game, and Dallas looks like the real deal. I'm not sure how good their defense is, but their offense is going to cause a LOT of problems for any team that faces them. Dax Prescott looked very impressive to me, both in his accuracy and poise. They have a lot of bigger receivers to throw 50-50 balls to and an Edelman clone as a safety valve. It took me a long time to get to this point, but they look like the class of the NFC.....thus far.

2. Always happy to see the Ravens lose, even though I usually root for the AFC team when it isn't the Jets, Colts, Ravens, or Denver.

3. With the Bills and Dolphins winning again, the AFCE is the 2nd best division in the conference

4. I REALLY hope the Jets stick with the Bryce Petty experience this week. Fitzpatrick has had a horrible season to date, but he IS capable of putting up some great numbers on a given Sunday, and I just don't want it to be NEXT Sunday.

5. I thought the officials did a good job today, by mostly keeping the flags in their pockets with only 15 being accepted. The Pats had one of their better days with only getting flagged 5 times for 40 yds with half of that coming on 2 concecutive plays (Solder and Brady) Most of the Niner penalties were procedure and off sides to go along with 2 unsportsmanlikes 68. IIRC there was only one long PI called that was a key play in the Niner's first drive, and it looked like a good call.

6. Looking ahead at the schedule, it looks like there are only 3 threats over the last 6 games, and 2 of those don't exactly have me shaking in my boots (Ravens, Dolphins) I oddly feel pretty good about the Bronco game as well. We shall see.

7. I didn't watch any of the post game stuff, so I'll leave that to you to fill me in.

OK 1:20am I give up. This should be enough to start the discussion. I await your comments....but not until tomorrow. ;)

Great write up, just one thought on White. he is pretty good at making the first guy miss, not the second guy, but definitely the first. and on his touchdown reception he ran right through someone to get in. In fact, if this whole year White has made a show of not going down on first contact. Lewis is going to have to earn that role back from White. The coaches aren't going to just give it to him.

Last edited:
Great write up, just one thought on Lewis. he is pretty good at making the first guy miss, not the second guy, but definitely the first. and on his touchdown reception he ran right through someone to get in. In fact, if this whole year White has made a show of not going down on first contact. Lewis is going to have to earn that role back from White. The coaches aren't going to just give it to him.
I think White has improved, but that's only because the past two years he literally would get tackled by the heel. Though it is still at the point when he lowers his shoulder like yesterday or even breaks an arm tackle it is the exception, not the rule.

I've definitely come around more on him this year, but he's no more or no less than a solid B player. Not a difference maker but does his job. Lewis on the other hand, is a gamechanger who can manufacture his own yards.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but we definitely got away with a pretty long DPI. Either Rowe or Ryan, can't remember who, just prevented the receiver from lifting one arm even an inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes