PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blake Bortles on verge of losing job to Chad Henne

If their season goes predictably down the ****ter they will have a full front office shakeup with Coughlin in charge of that.

If Coughlin hires the right people, I wouldnt be surprised if this became a job that might be interesting to Josh or MattyP. The Jags have pieces on both sides of the ball and if they could land an above average QB they would be formidable at the very least.
Marrone is a good football coach. No way he is getting fired after 1 year. He will improve that team. I see 6-7 wins.

Has the problem been with Bortles (not putting in enough film study, not willing to listen to coaches, etc.)?

Has it been due to poor coaching (not working with him on his mechanics, etc.)?

Or is it neither (i.e., he was over-hyped and more worthy of being a 3rd round QB, not 3rd overall draft pick)?
Well he's been known to go out to the bars and binge-drink on the Fridays before home games so the problem seems to be with Bortles.

You think the 49ers are going to win a division with Seattle and Arizona in it? How? If they won 5 games it will be a miracle. They were probably worse than the browns last year and have done little to improve.
That's actually not a bad football team by any stretch. Good stable of runners, good receivers, strong defense. The problem is, and will continue to be, the quarterback position for them.

Bortles got ruined by his horrendous last season. From not working with Tom House (blame Gus Bradley) to throwing a ton of INTs really hurt his confidence. Prior to last season I think there is definitely potential, but thank the incompetent Jags for ruining a promising QB.
Bortles 2015 numbers were inflated by garbage time yards and TDs. Essentially when the defense was playing in a soft zone shell to avoid the big play. He's never shown the ability to beat man coverage.

We supposedly had Bortles ranked 1
As well as having Jimmy G and Johnny Football ranked the same.
Man the draft is a crapshoot especially at the QB position.

That's actually not a bad football team by any stretch. Good stable of runners, good receivers, strong defense. The problem is, and will continue to be, the quarterback position for them.
Sf?
They have Hyde. Not sure where you see a stable of runners. Garçon is their best WR and he sucks.
Their defense was the worst in the NFL and I don't see where it improved
Are we talking about the same team?

We supposedly had Bortles ranked 1
As well as having Jimmy G and Johnny Football ranked the same.
Man the draft is a crapshoot especially at the QB position.
That Patriot QB ranking may very well be true, though I am not sure of its veracity. The Patriots typically use a relatively limited draft board, and don't bother scouting, listing and ranking players they have no intention of drafting.

Regardless, I doubt that the Patriots would have utilized a first round pick on any of them, and certainly not a number three pick overall.

Sf?
They have Hyde. Not sure where you see a stable of runners. Garçon is their best WR and he sucks.
Their defense was the worst in the NFL and I don't see where it improved
Are we talking about the same team?

Nope. I quoted the wrong post. Meant to quote this one...

Marrone is a good football coach. No way he is getting fired after 1 year. He will improve that team. I see 6-7 wins.

The Jags have some decent talent on Offense which are being held back by Mr. Bortles. He has had many chances and flopped every time Henne is addition by Bortles subtraction.

The Jags have some decent talent on Offense which are being held back by Mr. Bortles. He has had many chances and flopped every time Henne is addition by Bortles subtraction.
I think bortles struggles this camp are concerning but the rest is overblown.
He has been stuck in a bad team with awful coaching. If he can get straight and play well now that there is some talent and a coach who knows what he is doing his first 3 years are a success.

In 2014 he did more than most rookie QBs.
In 2015 he threw 35 TD passes and 4400 but went 5-11 with about the worst d in the NFL. That is a very positive year 2
Last year was a major step back but he had zero support from the running game or d. A typical step back year for a 3rd year QB.

This is definitely a guy who has shown ability but also a guy who has shown he can fit into the suck (probably a future Jete)
The question is whether he is a guy who can take the reigns and lead an improving team or whether he just isn't mentally the guy.
So far in 2017 it looks like its going the wrong way for him but it's a long season.
Winning 7 games and putting up number like 2015 would make him the man again.
They have 7 games against bottom feeders, indyx2, la, la, njj, Cleve,SF
And although 4 are in the road this should be a 7 win team.

You think the 49ers are going to win a division with Seattle and Arizona in it? How? If they won 5 games it will be a miracle. They were probably worse than the browns last year and have done little to improve.
You could argue they had the worst roster in the NFL last year. Kaepernick wasn't an amazing can't miss guy, but before the political story line and all I said he could be a good value for somebody. Thought he was pretty impressive given the situation. Aside from Carlos Hyde and Joe Staley, that's a real dogshit offense.

Why is Bortles playing at all this week? If he's not their long-term starter, then they either need to cut him or glue him to the bench to ensure that they're not paying out next season's injury guarantees.

Has the problem been with Bortles (not putting in enough film study, not willing to listen to coaches, etc.)?

Has it been due to poor coaching (not working with him on his mechanics, etc.)?

Or is it neither (i.e., he was over-hyped and more worthy of being a 3rd round QB, not 3rd overall draft pick)?

every time i see him throw a pass he seems to miss a wide open target. Not sure if that's mechanics or just a lack of talent.

You could argue they had the worst roster in the NFL last year. Kaepernick wasn't an amazing can't miss guy, but before the political story line and all I said he could be a good value for somebody. Thought he was pretty impressive given the situation. Aside from Carlos Hyde and Joe Staley, that's a real dogshit offense.
Kaepernick is awful. Going 2-14 with 2-14 talent is not impressive. The only value kaepernick has is to steal a couple games by stressing the defense with his running threat but he really isn't interested in doing that. Since it is only a gimmick anyway he is a gimmick QB who thinks he shouldn't be a gimmick. Much like tebow.

Why is Bortles playing at all this week? If he's not their long-term starter, then they either need to cut him or glue him to the bench to ensure that they're not paying out next season's injury guarantees.

He is playing on his 5th year option, so his 19 million salary is gaurenteed.

They haven't made a decision yet. Both are playing with the 1s, hence goes first. It's a bad sign but not a final decision. Could just be to light a fire because the season is over if they anoint henne the starter.

Maybe they are trying to Jete it

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back