PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT BGC 2021 Pre-Draft/Patriot-Type Prospect(s) thread

I did a quick Mock Draft utilizing your Patriots Draft Board. I used Fanspeak with Steve Shoup's rankings.

Trade #15 and 2022 Number 1 to DET for #7

7: R1 P7 QB Trey Lance - North Dakota State (1)

46: R2 P14 LB Zaven Collins - Tulsa (1)

96: R3 P32 C Quinn Meinerz - Wisconsin-Whitewater (2)

120: R4 P15 CB Aaron Robinson - Central Florida (2)

122: R4 P17 WR Shi Smith - South Carolina (2)

139: R4 P34 DL Tyler Shelvin - LSU (3)

177: R5 P33 S Divine Deablo - Virginia Tech (4)

188: R6 P4 WR Cornell Powell - Clemson (4)

197: R6 P13 FB Ben Mason - Michigan (5)

242: R7 P14 RB Elijah Mitchell - Louisiana (4)

I would take this draft any day of the week. It is very unlikely the Draft will fall this way because I agree with the rankings BGC has given these players.

My final mock draft, posted just before the draft, will be based upon your Patriots Draft Board

Cooper has been on my radar since the Collegiate all-star game. He played in the Hula Bowl but the East-West Shrine game was canceled. I see Cooper as a priority Free Agent.

I would also take this draft any day of the week...I would Not make that trade for Justin Fields of course...But for Lance it's worth it here because there are some people (perhaps Bill is among them) who believe that he's the 3rd-best QB prospect in the draft; so if SF actually goes ahead and chooses Mac Jones at #3 and Lance becomes available at #7, then trading up for him now would kinda be the same as trading all the way up from #15 to #3 for him, and if the cost is simply a 2022 #1, then that's still less than the price Lynch & Shanny paid for the same general opportunity, if one cares to rationalize it that way...

Absolutely love the next 3 picks...

Shi Smith & Cornell Powell are ok where they were taken...Maybe a Simi Fehoko/Dax Milne combo at 122/188 would be something to consider...

Love the Tyler Shelvin pick here, where it's worth the chance that he's a better player than tester...

I ass-ume that you plan on converting the Divine Devil to Full-Time Weak-Side LB, as I would do...If so, then great pick! Dude's a Legit 6'3 - 226 now, with the frame for 235 or more; and also has the quicks to match, so he should have the ability to stick with both TEs and RBs, and hang closer to the LOS too...

Big fan of Ben Mason...though I wonder if I might take the chance that he'll be available at 242 if there's a DE i like at 197...or even at 188 and then wait for Powell (or another WR) at 197...

Another draft I like. Feel like I’m starting to get it down regardless of how it unfolds. Hats off to everyone of the draft board. You guys are rad

6A33E2D4-A5FB-4904-9A54-6DE5F129E8DF.jpeg

I tried one using your board still having trouble with PFF's draft simulator trying to slow it down, but minor issue. This is what I came up with. Not horrible for no trades.

1617912525584.png

Duplicate, please delete

Last edited:
Did a mock on PFF and it finally got to the point where I felt compelled to trade down from 15. After these 14 were off the board I didn’t like who was left quite enough to stick with the pick:

028C7B52-6252-48CA-8B8F-3407D6A5C410.jpeg

5F1485DD-21F3-408C-B69E-54A290E14E11.jpeg

So I traded with the Steelers, swapped 1st rounders with them, in exchange I upgraded two of my 4ths to a 2nd and 3rd. Steelers took Slater with their pick. I took Bateman, almost went with Zaven Collins who ended up going to the Jaguars with the next pick.

BBE8235E-CF63-424B-BA0D-C535F47FC881.jpeg
EA396AC9-7F69-4C39-BEC1-A34015E2C6E0.jpeg
Here are my final results:

FBE73ADB-CF61-467A-AC94-475742133FAA.png
Not thrilled with it to be honest. Drafted Asante Jr. for laughs, I don’t think there’s any way the Pats want to deal with Asante Sr. ever again. But just wanted to share the findings, considering the worst case scenario at 15 (for me at least).

Attachments

• 0B8D7041-3D40-4227-9D05-2764E80F2BA0.jpeg
    0B8D7041-3D40-4227-9D05-2764E80F2BA0.jpeg
    561.6 KB · Views: 1
Did a mock on PFF and it finally got to the point where I felt compelled to trade down from 15. After these 14 were off the board I didn’t like who was left quite enough to stick with the pick:

View attachment 32011

View attachment 32007

So I traded with the Steelers, swapped 1st rounders with them, in exchange I upgraded two of my 4ths to a 2nd and 3rd. Steelers took Slater with their pick. I took Bateman, almost went with Zaven Collins who ended up going to the Jaguars with the next pick.

View attachment 32008
View attachment 32009
Here are my final results:

View attachment 32010
Not thrilled with it to be honest. Drafted Asante Jr. for laughs, I don’t think there’s any way the Pats want to deal with Asante Sr. ever again. But just wanted to share the findings, considering the worst case scenario at 15 (for me at least).

you might be quite the unicorn passing on Slater at 15 :)

you might be quite the unicorn passing on Slater at 15 :)
I’ll admit to being oblivious to where Slater’s stock is at. It was either him or Farely at that spot and I didn’t feel comfortable with it. Is Slater that much better than the likes of Darrisaw or Vera-Tucker? He would be quite the long term asset for sure, since he could replace either Wynn or Brown depending how BB wants to proceed beyond this season. I also underestimated the depth at offensive tackle. Had a chance at drafting Little at 49 but went corner instead (which I should’ve known better). Fun exercise either way!

I’ll admit to being oblivious to where Slater’s stock is at. It was either him or Farely at that spot and I didn’t feel comfortable with it. Is Slater that much better than the likes of Darrisaw or Vera-Tucker? He would be quite the long term asset for sure, since he could replace either Wynn or Brown depending how BB wants to proceed beyond this season. I also underestimated the depth at offensive tackle. Had a chance at drafting Little at 49 but went corner instead (which I should’ve known better). Fun exercise either way!

https://twitter.com/nickfalato/status/1377642911915970566

He was on the fence for me. Should I add him?

I would, but it's your board. You can put an asterisk with my name next to it, haha.

His work against Pitts was the best of any safety I watched. He also balled out against Alabama against the run and in coverage. His lack of turnovers and mediocre pass breakups bothers me, but otherwise I see a good Adrian Phillips replacement who has the speed (but not yet the processing) to eventually step into the McCourty role. As mid round gambles go, I've seen worse.

It seems Pitts isn't going to fall to NE...

Mark Daniels of the Providence Journal did a mock draft of his own of the Patriots picks.

Link (paywall FYI) Pats go for DB first in this mock draft

I found it intriguing. Here’s who he selected with all 10 picks:

First round, pick 15: Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina

Second round, pick 46: Davis Mills, QB, Stanford

Third round, pick 96: Amon-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC

Fourth round, pick 120: Baron Browning, LB, Ohio State

Fourth round, pick 122: Spencer Brown, OT, Northern Iowa

Fourth round, pick 139: Bobby Brown, DT, Texas A&M

Fifth round, pick 177: Chris Evans, RB, Michigan

Sixth round, pick 188: Dax Milne, WR, BYU

Sixth round, pick 197: Jonathan Cooper, DE, Ohio State

Seventh round, pick 242: Ian Book, QB, Notre Dame

Mark Daniels of the Providence Journal did a mock draft of his own of the Patriots picks.

That wouldn't be a half bad draft.. Though the number of Browns is kinda funny.. 4 straight picks of Brown/Browning.. LOL..

The pick of Milne is a waste, though.. There isn't enough room for 2 WRs... Better off taking a safety. Also, I don't see the Pats double dipping at QB..

I'd rather have a front-7 defender at #15, but Horn is certainly a top-20 talent...

#46 is 30 picks too early for Mills, plus he's kinda damaged goods already...

I'm ok with the next 4 picks, especially LT Spencer Brown at 122...

Probably not taking Evans in ANY round (I'd rather have Ben Mason at 242)... I'm taking the best available DE here...

Love the Dax Milne at 188 pick...

Neither Cooper nor Book, on the other hand, are worth drafting at all, though they would make nice UDFA signings...I'd rather look for the best available C/G like maybe Jimmy Morrissey...

Last edited: