PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick should trade the 1st rounder for Garoppolo

I wonder how much of this is legit and how much is posturing on the niners part.

I don't doubt they will stick with Jimmy if they don't have a viable replacement. But you also don't check in on every QB in the trade market if you are happy with your guy.
Probably a little of both. But it does not make any sense from them to move on from Jimmy without a replacement. I just wonder how attractive Jimmy is in any trade deal. I would imagine he would just be a throw in for the Houston deal and they would still have to give up multiple 1s to get Watson.

Sports fans don't spend $$$ on a crappy product regardless of past success. That is why sports entertainment is a production business and as soon as the production falls, people are gone. The ratings for Pats games were down 26% in TV ratings. Believe me that is not lost on Kraft. We don't even know how bad fan attendance would have been because of Covid. The QB is the most important position to attract fans to spend $$$. That is why is is paramount that the Pats get a legit QB this year. Whether that is through the draft or FA or trade. Otherwise that 26% will drop much further and fan attendance if it is back at all next year due to Covid will drop as well.
How will fans attendance go down when there is a waiting list for season tickets 20 years long?
Many Pats are not band wagon jumpers like you apparently are and support the team, aren’t just here to latch on to success, and have been fans through much leaner times that heading to the Tobin over 7-9.
It would take many horrible seasons to affect attendance. Ratings are league wide, and would only have an impact in tv contract negotiations, one teams ratings don’t affect its revenue, and are a drop in the bucket of the tv if any impact at all because other teams having up years probably balance it out.

When was the last time you went to Foxboro? It’s not the easiest place to get to or get away from for that matter. Ticket sales are only part of the business of Patriots football. A bad team might sell its tickets as people will not want to lose their season tickets. But, just because you sell a ticket doesn’t necessarily translate to people actually attending the game, paying for parking, shopping or dining at Patriot Place and paying $9 for every bottle of Bud.

That’s not even considering the Club Suites and Luxury Boxes and corporate commitments. Of course, the Krafts need to worry about the business. They’ve built a money machine down there, and I’m sure they don’t want the money to stop flowing in especially considering they lost $100 to 150 million of revenue in 2020.

When was the last time you went to Foxboro? It’s not the easiest place to get to or get away from for that matter. Ticket sales are only part of the business of Patriots football. A bad team might sell its tickets as people will not want to lose their season tickets. But, just because you sell a ticket doesn’t necessarily translate to people actually attending the game, paying for parking, shopping or dining at Patriot Place and paying $9 for every bottle of Bud.

That’s not even considering the Club Suites and Luxury Boxes and corporate commitments. Of course, the Krafts need to worry about the business. They’ve built a money machine down there, and I’m sure they don’t want the money to stop flowing in especially considering they lost $100 to 150 million of revenue in 2020.
Yes they’ve built a money machine so a bad year or 2 isn’t going to affect it.
in any event during the GOAT HC who is responsible for all the success certainly isn’t going to help.
If $ drowned upon winning you don’t fire guy who wins.

Good discussion on who Pats may be targeting at QB and why. Rex Ryan is not in the his segment. It is mis-titled.

It's not mis-titled by accident. It's click bait.

Absolutely no way you give up a 1st rounder for Jimmy.. The reason we only got a 2nd rounder was because the team trading for him also had to sign him to a huge contract. He's still under that huge contract and has raised larger concerns regarding his injury history and sustainability.

His value has not gone up in the last couple years, at best it has stayed the same but with more inherent injury risk involved.

I wouldn't be against signing him, but not at a top elite QB contract without some incentives in there to protect against injury. The $18m a year range sounds perfect, because we'll need that extra $7m a year to get a solid backup who will inevitably have to come in for a stretch of games when Jimmy gets injured again

So I just played around with Miguel's cap tool and realized that we could pretty easily get to almost $90M in cap space by releasing Hightower, Cannon, a few JAGS and altering Gilmore's deal. Lots of financial flexibility for us. BUT...also have some UFA's we probably want to bring back. Guy being the one I least want to lose.

Could you link to the cap tool?

I don't know if this was mentioned but Zo strongly insinuated yesterday that the Pats are going after Jimmy. Beetle asked him who he would put all his money on as the week 1 starter and Zo said he would bet it's Jimmy.

I’m sure they don’t want the money to stop flowing in especially considering they lost $100 to 150 million of revenue in 2020.
Making $100 million when you thought you'd be making $200 million is not a loss.

This is the point I've been trying to make. Don't trade for a contract you wouldn't offer the player as a free agent. The only thing keeping Garoppolo employed at $25M is the idea that the 49ers can't move on unless they get a replacement first.

I don't know if this was mentioned but Zo strongly insinuated yesterday that the Pats are going after Jimmy. Beetle asked him who he would put all his money on as the week 1 starter and Zo said he would bet it's Jimmy.

Could you link to the cap tool?
This isn't Miguel's, but it works pretty well. You can adjust for designating a cut as June 1, or how a trade affects the cap, extensions, etc. I have found it to be quite useful for assessing the possibility of some of the trade rumors we hear about (click on the logo for each team for that).

For example in the case of SF and Garoppolo, designating him to be a post-June 1 cut leaves the 49ers with a modest $1.4 million in dead money, and a cap savings of $25 million. Trading him is not much different ($2.8 million / $23.6 million). Right now he is scheduled to take up 14.5% of the 49ers cap space ($26.4 million) in 2021, and another $27 million on the cap in 2022. His 2021 and 2022 salaries could potentially scare off potential trade partners, thus lowering his trade value.

So SF is cutting Jimmy and going with who at QB

Absolutely no way you give up a 1st rounder for Jimmy.. The reason we only got a 2nd rounder was because the team trading for him also had to sign him to a huge contract. He's still under that huge contract and has raised larger concerns regarding his injury history and sustainability.

His value has not gone up in the last couple years, at best it has stayed the same but with more inherent injury risk involved.

. . .
backup who will inevitably have to come in for a stretch of games when Jimmy gets injured again

Several folks have said similar (value not gone up); but I would argue it has gone up in one-two respects:

1. Pats were trading in WEEK 8!! If SF gives him up the recipient gets him for passing camp, TC, etc and a starter who is fully integrated in team system. That is at least a half-full round upgrade (or a downgrade the pats paid on the trade value to have an insurance for ‘old man Brady’).

2. Value is relative. JG knows the P-E system from being here before. Others teams may not want hjm, be willing to pay as much as the pats might.

do those two upgrades offset or go past the injury history downgrade??? I don’t know; but I would never give up a whole draft for Herschel walker either.
I dont think JG WILL be the answer, but IBBWT.

I would be very interested to see Jimmy back. Either we draft someone early or take Jimmy. I'm okay with either option. I'm not particularly impressed with how he played in SF but I know that he is capable if he can stay healthy. If we build a beast of a team around him we could win that way. We have plenty of cap space and our picks to rebuild this roster.

The 49ers have been involved in every QB rumor, from Watson, Stafford, and Cousins all the way down to Wentz, Darnold, and trading up for a rookie. The "tier 3" reporters (SI fan blog quality) at the Senior Bowl were being told by somebody in Mobile that Stafford was almost a done deal. There's always Josh Rosen too, who has one big advantage in that they could spend the $24M difference on a better surrounding cast. I have a hard time seeing them sticking with Garoppolo after all this smoke, with that roster and those free agents.

It would take some work to appease all three sides here, but I think it'd be great if they could work out a deal where the Patriots trade a nominal pick for Garoppolo, who restructures his deal to take a pay cut but gets some (or maybe even all) guaranteed. The 49ers get a 4th or 5th or some kind of swap for taking on the risk of making Garoppolo available before his replacement is in place, and Garoppolo gets a guaranteed starting job for 2021 instead of risking being released in April or May when the cap room around the league has been spent and the starting jobs have been filled. Technically it could happen as late as September, especially if Josh Rosen finally shows up in training camp.

Complicated...maybe. But if the 49ers are as willing to move on as it looks like right now, then there's definitely a win/win/win opportunity here that doesn't cost a high pick and $25 million.

49ers will either trade for a QB (Watson, Ryan or Cousins) or draft one early and keep Jimmy G. I don't believe the BS the 9ers are rolling only with Jimmy again as that's way too much of a risk.

Belichick should trade the 1st rounder for Garoppolo​

giphy.webp

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots