PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick should trade the 1st rounder for Garoppolo

Good discussion on who Pats may be targeting at QB and why. Rex Ryan is not in the his segment. It is mis-titled.

I can see it's time for some levity.

Three couples, two heterosexual couples and two gay men, were on a boat that got hit by a giant wave that overturned the boat and killed them all.

As the three couples waited outside the pearly gate to see if they’d be admitted to heaven, St Peter spoke to the first heterosexual couple and said to the man, “I’m sorry but you will not be allowed to enter because you cherish money too much. You even married a woman named Penny. ”

St Peter then spoke to the second heterosexual couple and told the man, “I’m sorry but you will not be allowed to enter because you cherish food too much. You even married a woman named Candy."

That’s when one of the gay men turned to the other and said, “let’s get out of here ****.”

Last edited:
ABC (Anyone But Cam)

But I wouldn't spend much on JG.

Good discussion on who Pats may be targeting at QB and why. Rex Ryan is not in the his segment. It is mis-titled.

Interesting:

1. Trading to #7 (DET) to pick Mac Jones. What would that cost?
2. Go for Mariota in a trade.
3. Focus on rebuilding defense instead of QB.
4. Someone else thought Brissett was better than Mariota.

I like Nico's take, rebuild defense 1st if you can't find a QBOTF. I just don't see any good options at QB. Another good point made, what WR/TE would want to go to NE w/o knowing who's throwing ball to them. There's just way too many holes on the team to try to fix them all at once. BB probably brings back Cam and tries to continue to play old style football.

Because he hasn't nearly been worth what they have to pay him in any (but possibly one) of the fours years he's already been there, and they can get rid of him with minimal dead money.

Now, unless they find someone better who can stay on the field, they'll probably ride with him, but I have no doubt that they'd like to upgrade that position, or at least, not hold their breath every time their QB drops back to pass.

I wonder if eventually Jimmy gets tired of this see saw ride.

They keep saying publicly they are confident in him. But if they were they wouldn't be in on every veteran QB.

Jimmy's dead cap hit is even smaller next year so if they do stick with him they are likely going through this exercise again.

Interesting:

1. Trading to #7 (DET) to pick Mac Jones. What would that cost?
2. Go for Mariota in a trade.
3. Focus on rebuilding defense instead of QB.
4. Someone else thought Brissett was better than Mariota.

I like Nico's take, rebuild defense 1st if you can't find a QBOTF. I just don't see any good options at QB. Another good point made, what WR/TE would want to go to NE w/o knowing who's throwing ball to them. There's just way too many holes on the team to try to fix them all at once. BB probably brings back Cam and tries to continue to play old style football.

I think they could get a #1 receiver to sign here to play with a mid level guy like Mariota, Fitzpatrick, etc. They'd definitely have to pay market though, so the question becomes: Do you pay for a top of the market guy, potentially wasting him on years when you don't have the QB to take full advantage? Or do you try to find another "#2" receiver and maybe a TE to round out the offense, then go for the big WR fish once you have a QB of the future established?

I think most of our assets should go towards:

A) Keeping the OL together, or bolstering it if Thuney and/or Andrews leave. We've seen it too many times with young QB's. Even if we found the next Tom Brady at #15, if his OL stinks he's going to get physically wrecked before he has a chance to really shine.

B) Bolstering the front 7, with a little more emphasis on the DL (IMO).

This has a ripple effect. The problem with our defense last year was we were CONSTANTLY in 3rd and short situations because we couldn't stop the run. This negated the biggest strength of our defense which was the secondary. If we can get teams in more 3rd and long situations, it creates more punts (which Gunner was good at) and more turnover opportunities for our talented DB's. This gives any QB, rookie or mid level vet, more short fields and lets them manage the game without having to do too much. Then you give them a strong OL to protect them and give THEM a good running game, and this is a playoff team. Not a Super Bowl contender yet, but good enough to get in the dance and see what happens.

This doesn't exclude adding pieces to WR/TE, but I feel like those can be added in more moderate fashion as long as the other areas are strengths.

Lynch and Shanahan aren’t getting fired. They were given 6 year deals specifically because they had fired their HC 3 straight years and also dumped the gm along the way (twice?).

Ownership saw them pass on brady this past offseason for Jimmy. Who went 3-3 before he got injured again. Their division just got stronger and alot of their guys are almost up to get paid.

Their window is closing. If they go 8-8 with Jimmy, underperform or he gets injured again I dont think ownership will be happy with their "keep riding the same team" approach

I have to wonder how much teams discuss picking up the next Jim Plunkett.

So many must be wondering if they're picking up unmined gold with Wentz, Mariota, etc.Hoping against hope that they can ride the next Plunkett to a Super Bowl win.

You can’t trade 15 for a veteran qb unless it’s Wilson or Watson because you need 15 to draft a QB.
Even if drafting a QB at #15 is a huge reach and using the pick on a different position would get you a much more talented, impactful player? That makes no sense. We don't HAVE to find the long term answer at QB this year. Odds are we wont have that opportunity anyway. No need to flail away at a pitch that's three feet off the plate.

Last edited:
Even if draftuing a QB at #15 is a huge reach and using the pick on a different position would get you a much more talented, impactful player? That makes no sense. We don't HAVE to find the long term answer at QB this year. Odds are we wont have that opportunity anyway. No need to flail away at a pitch that's three feet off the plate.

People acting like you definitely are getting a quality QB at #15.

It depends on the draft and how many needy teams there are. When we drafted Jimmy G he was a 2nd round pick but was also only the 4th QB drafted that year.

This year there might only be 4 solid QBs and there might be 6 that go in the top 10.

Last thing a team should do is draft for need vs BPA. That's how you end up with dwayne haskins (who was drafted around #15) who ends up being cut when you could've gotten an impact player at another position

Not sure who these "defensive studs" are that Nink is talking about that would come to NE. The 2001 Patriots defense was already in place. Law, Bruschi, Milloy, McGinest were all already there. They were on the Patriots 1996 Super Bowl team and weren't exactly rookies in 2001. There's nobody out there that the Pats anywhere near that caliber.

If the Pats fall short again in 2021, which I'd say is much more likely than unlikely right now - then that will be tough to swallow especially with the what-if questions around Brady with his team having as good a chance to repeat as any team has had in recent memory. But it's good to be realistic too. 2021 is Year 1 of the rebuild. If the Pats have a young foundation in place by the end of this coming season then that's a success to me. I'll feel pretty good about the window starting to open a little again in 2022.

Last edited:
People acting like you definitely are getting a quality QB at #15.

It depends on the draft and how many needy teams there are. When we drafted Jimmy G he was a 2nd round pick but was also only the 4th QB drafted that year.

This year there might only be 4 solid QBs and there might be 6 that go in the top 10.

Last thing a team should do is draft for need vs BPA. That's how you end up with dwayne haskins (who was drafted around #15) who ends up being cut when you could've gotten an impact player at another position
I agree in theory but the fanbase will not put up with another bridge QB year. Kraft knows this. He will fire as many bullets as needed to get a legit QB this year. Not sure if that is in the draft or FA or trade.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler updated the situation Sunday on SportsCenter:

"I'm told San Fran is looking at potential upgrades, but they still like Jimmy G. He's 24-9 as a starter, including the playoffs, with the Niners. They believe they can win with him, but it would take a big swing, like a Deshaun Watson effect here, to make that change. And I'm told that the 49ers are one of the teams that Watson's at least intrigued by. A source said, 'Which quarterback wouldn't want to be in that offense on that team with all those weapons and Kyle Shanahan?' So always a possibility, but the Texans have made clear they're not willing to deal Watson right now. Garoppolo's still a viable option for San Fran.

Even if draftuing a QB at #15 is a huge reach and using the pick on a different position would get you a much more talented, impactful player? That makes no sense. We don't HAVE to find the long term answer at QB this year. Odds are we wont have that opportunity anyway. No need to flail away at a pitch that's three feet off the plate.
Yes you do have to solve the QB position this year. You have at least 60 and maybe 80 million in cap space and a rare top 15 pick.
I advocate BOTH a veteran they believe they can contend with and a 1st round QB
Doesn’t matter how much else you fix if you throw a slug like newton in there you are t winning, and there are more than enough resources to build a contender with today.

I agree in theory but the fanbase will not put up with another bridge QB year. Kraft knows this. He will fire as many bullets as needed to get a legit QB this year. Not sure if that is in the draft or FA or trade.
The fan base has no say in the matter.
And a fan base that “wouldn’t put up with” 2 bad years after the run they have had isn’t really a fan base any way.

The fan base has no say in the matter.
And a fan base that “wouldn’t put up with” 2 bad years after the run they have had isn’t really a fan base any way.
The fanbase represents $$$. That is all that matters to Kraft.

The fanbase represents $$$. That is all that matters to Kraft.
Come on. The fan based was pisswd at how Kraft handled deflate gate. That didn’t stop him. There is a years long waiting list for season ticklers.
As I said a “fan base” that bails the greatest run in nfl history after 2 years never were the fan base. Especially this team whose true fan base has been around 30+ years.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler updated the situation Sunday on SportsCenter:

"I'm told San Fran is looking at potential upgrades, but they still like Jimmy G. He's 24-9 as a starter, including the playoffs, with the Niners. They believe they can win with him, but it would take a big swing, like a Deshaun Watson effect here, to make that change. And I'm told that the 49ers are one of the teams that Watson's at least intrigued by. A source said, 'Which quarterback wouldn't want to be in that offense on that team with all those weapons and Kyle Shanahan?' So always a possibility, but the Texans have made clear they're not willing to deal Watson right now. Garoppolo's still a viable option for San Fran.

I wonder how much of this is legit and how much is posturing on the niners part.

I don't doubt they will stick with Jimmy if they don't have a viable replacement. But you also don't check in on every QB in the trade market if you are happy with your guy.

I wonder if eventually Jimmy gets tired of this see saw ride.

They keep saying publicly they are confident in him. But if they were they wouldn't be in on every veteran QB.

Jimmy's dead cap hit is even smaller next year so if they do stick with him they are likely going through this exercise again.
Nothing Jimmy can do about it other than stay on the field and play better.
He’s nothin a position to “get tired of it”.

Come on. The fan based was pisswd at how Kraft handled deflate gate. That didn’t stop him. There is a years long waiting list for season ticklers.
As I said a “fan base” that bails the greatest run in nfl history after 2 years never were the fan base. Especially this team whose true fan base has been around 30+ years.
Sports fans don't spend $$$ on a crappy product regardless of past success. That is why sports entertainment is a production business and as soon as the production falls, people are gone. The ratings for Pats games were down 26% in TV ratings. Believe me that is not lost on Kraft. We don't even know how bad fan attendance would have been because of Covid. The QB is the most important position to attract fans to spend $$$. That is why is is paramount that the Pats get a legit QB this year. Whether that is through the draft or FA or trade. Otherwise that 26% will drop much further and fan attendance if it is back at all next year due to Covid will drop as well.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back