PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick should trade the 1st rounder for Garoppolo

Watson to Denver would be awesome. That team is in great shape besides QB.

Imagine a division with Mahomes, Watson, Herbert, and Carr. Jesus.
Denver would immediately be a player in the AFC and may become a favorite in that division over KC. As a Pats fan, a racist, and a homophobe, I’d much rather he go to San Fran.

Jimmy G is overrated as hell and can’t handle a full season of football.

Overpaying for trash QBs is what loser teams do on an endless carousel of garbage trades, signings, and mediocre, hype-failing seasons.

We should draft our QBs and cut them loose when their rookie contracts are up if they suck.

So I went back 27 years, to the start of the Cowboys dynasty. Good a place as any to consider the modern era, although I know the game has changed quite a bit since then.

Thing is, I’d say the importance of getting the QB has actually been underplayed. In that time, these quarterbacks have won multiple SBs:

Brady—7

Aikman—3

Roethlisberger, Elway, both Mannings (I know)—2

QBs with one (group 1) Favre, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Warner, Mahomes

QBs with one (group 2): Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Nick Foles

So, that’s 27 years, with 32 quarterbacks a year having the chance to win the Super Bowl (864 individual QB “seasons”) and in total FIFTEEN have won. Of that 15, 12 are arguably Hall of Famers (Eli getting in would be a joke, but you know he has a shot). Trent Dilfer rode a historic defense. The opposing coach Foles played against decided to bench the starting defense or something (my memory’s hazy on that one). The Brad Johnson TB team had a pretty great defense too.

Point being, what difference does ANYTHING else make if you don’t have the guy? Hope for a historic defense?

I’m not saying JG is the guy, excuse the clickbait :) I honestly have no idea. I’m just saying if BELICHICK thinks he’s the guy—or if he thinks somebody else is the guy—giving up draft picks is a trivial price to pay. Otherwise you’re hoping for some historic outlier. The thing is, of course, you gotta be right. But come on, Belichick's a genius, right? He must know who the guy is.

Houston keeps saying they are not trading Watson. Has that changed?

Nothing.

It's not like a good negotiator would sit there and announce they can't wait to dump the guy.

Denver would immediately be a player in the AFC and may become a favorite in that division over KC. As a Pats fan, a racist, and a homophobe, I’d much rather he go to San Fran.

As a Belichickism denier, a racist against my own shameful race, and a potential homosexual, I’d much rather he go to Denver.

White-Knights.jpg

If Jimmy was generally healthy AND we hadn't traded him for a second, I could see the OP's point about QB importance and a 1st being trivial. But Jimmy has unfortunately been snakebit by injury, plays in a way that makes further injury likely, has a huge contract, AND we would be basically paying SF a lremium to stash him for 3 years while also putting wear and tear on him.

Hard pass.

I wouldn't even give up a 3.

Now does BILL think he is worth a 1?

We are going to find out.

If Jimmy was generally healthy AND we hadn't traded him for a second, I could see the OP's point about QB importance and a 1st being trivial. But Jimmy has unfortunately been snakebit by injury, plays in a way that makes further injury likely, has a huge contract, AND we would be basically paying SF a lremium to stash him for 3 years while also putting wear and tear on him.

Hard pass.

I wouldn't even give up a 3.

Now does BILL think he is worth a 1?

We are going to find out.
Quick point on this (and again I'm not saying JG is necessarily worth a 1st or a 4th or anything else)..I don't think it should matter what the Pats got for him regarding what they would give up for him now. Outside of a team's pride taking a hit, a guy's worth what he's worth.

Now whether they should have gotten more than a second in the first place is a different conversation.

Quick point on this (and again I'm not saying JG is necessarily worth a 1st or a 4th or anything else)..I don't think it should matter what the Pats got for him regarding what they would give up for him now. Outside of a team's pride taking a hit, a guy's worth what he's worth.

Now whether they should have gotten more than a second in the first place is a different conversation.
Fair...my point is that I don't believe ANY team would consider Jimmy worth a 1 right now. So basically Pats would be paying a premium. And at 15 you should be able to get a franchise player on a cheap deal...something we desperately need.

About the gay men/San Francisco comment, it was dumb.

As a straight man who lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 7 years, but have been back in the NYC area now for 15 years (born and raised in NYC), I can tell you, it’s a stupid stereotype to think the city of San Francisco is home to the largest homosexual population. NYC has the largest homosexual population (yet you didn’t make the same stupid comment if the Jets get Watson), followed by LA, then Chicago and then SF. The Bay Area is very diverse with many races and sexualities.

Like I said, I lived in the SF Bay Area for 7 years, and I think I only knew 2 gay men personally as friends. It’s not like they overrun the area and yell out their sexuality to the world. It’s just like any big city, mostly straight, and has a gay population. I like everyone, gay, straight, black, white, etc.

As a straight man who lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 7 years, but have been back in the NYC area now for 15 years (born and raised in NYC), I can tell you, it’s a stupid stereotype to think the city of San Francisco is home to the largest homosexual population. NYC has the largest homosexual population (yet you didn’t make the same stupid comment if the Jets get Watson), followed by LA, then Chicago and then SF. The Bay Area is very diverse with many races and sexualities.

Like I said, I lived in the SF Bay Area for 7 years, and I think I only knew 2 gay men personally as friends. It’s not like they overrun the area and yell out their sexuality to the world. It’s just like any big city, mostly straight, and has a gay population. I like everyone, gay, straight, black, white, etc.
Heck even Atlanta has an entire area that is heavily gay (Midtown) . That was my point that he missed...the comment just made no sense at all let alone on a football thread that was going well otherwise.

Heck even Atlanta has an entire area that is heavily gay (Midtown) . That was my point that he missed...the comment just made no sense at all let alone on a football thread that was going well otherwise.
If you will all just quit white knighting a non-issue, the thread will be fine.

They didn’t say “HELLOOOOOOO... it’s f.ucking BEAUTIFULLLLLLL out today?” That’s disappointing. But thank you for qualifying that you love everyone at the very end. I wasn’t sure at first, but now I’m filled with knowledge. You’re very virtuous. Maybe more virtuous than anyone else in this thread. Definitely more virtuous than I am.

If you will all just quit white knighting a non-issue, the thread will be fine.
When I first started dating my wife, her gay friends Luis (the officiant at my wedding) and Adam came from Tally for a night in St. Augustine for my wife’s birthday. Among them were another married straight couple and my wife’s roommate at the time. The husband of the other couple, I guess, kept brushing Adam’s leg during dinner and Adam told Luis who then told me at one of the bars later on. I said, “I’m not one to argue with a gay dude, but I think your gaydar is off. He’s married.” Luis said, “uh... no. He’s a [insert the word that also means a cigarette in the queen’s English].” Could you imagine if the two Karens taking issue with the joke I made in this thread had heard that?

1613341242363.gif

Two years later, homeboy got caught having an affair with a dude and came out as bisexual.

When I first started dating my wife, her gay friends Luis (the officiant at my wedding) and Adam came from Tally for a night in St. Augustine for my wife’s birthday. Among them were another married straight couple and my wife’s roommate at the time. The husband of the other couple, I guess, kept brushing Adam’s leg during dinner and Adam told Luis who then told me at one of the bars later on. I said, “I’m not one to argue with a gay dude, but I think your gaydar is off. He’s married.” Luis said, “uh... no. He’s a [insert the word that also means a cigarette in the queen’s English].” Could you imagine if the two Karens taking issue with the joke I made in this thread had heard that?

View attachment 30536

Two years later, homeboy got caught having an affair with a dude and came out as bisexual.
Ok, 2 things this your post made me like you more. You mentioned St Augustine, I love St Augustine. I’m not a big Florida fan, but I love St Augustine. Visited there many years ago, when I was a kid, I’m talking like almost 50 years ago. But now my favorite uncle lives there, and I went there to visit a few years ago, still love it.

Secondly, my ex wife’s best friend was the officiant at OUR wedding. So we have that in common.

As far as gaydar, it’s an indeed a thing. I’m not trying to be disrespectful to gay people. My ex wife’s best friend was the first person I ever heard say gaydar. And HIS was never wrong. He too could tell which alleged straight people were hiding the fact that they were gay.

So I went back 27 years, to the start of the Cowboys dynasty. Good a place as any to consider the modern era, although I know the game has changed quite a bit since then.

Thing is, I’d say the importance of getting the QB has actually been underplayed. In that time, these quarterbacks have won multiple SBs:

Brady—7

Aikman—3

Roethlisberger, Elway, both Mannings (I know)—2

QBs with one (group 1) Favre, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Warner, Mahomes

QBs with one (group 2): Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Nick Foles

So, that’s 27 years, with 32 quarterbacks a year having the chance to win the Super Bowl (864 individual QB “seasons”) and in total FIFTEEN have won. Of that 15, 12 are arguably Hall of Famers (Eli getting in would be a joke, but you know he has a shot). Trent Dilfer rode a historic defense. The opposing coach Foles played against decided to bench the starting defense or something (my memory’s hazy on that one). The Brad Johnson TB team had a pretty great defense too.

Point being, what difference does ANYTHING else make if you don’t have the guy? Hope for a historic defense?

I’m not saying JG is the guy, excuse the clickbait :) I honestly have no idea. I’m just saying if BELICHICK thinks he’s the guy—or if he thinks somebody else is the guy—giving up draft picks is a trivial price to pay. Otherwise you’re hoping for some historic outlier. The thing is, of course, you gotta be right. But come on, Belichick's a genius, right? He must know who the guy is.

So for so many, he goes and gets Brady.
Happy?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes