PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick should trade the 1st rounder for Garoppolo

Two plays that he was criticized for. Didn't see Kittle on a third down play and threw somewhere else and the overthrow in the end zone. The story seems to be that Shanahan and the rest of the team were wonderful and Jimmy sucked. No, the defense collapsed in the fourth quarter and Jimmy was getting heavy pressure and Shanahan's terrific run game stopped working. Yes it would have been great if the pass was on target but it was in the right spot, too long, and surprise a QB under duress didn't throw a perfect long bomb. Jeez! You don't remember but yet you criticize. Rewatch the whole game.
Not sure if this is for me or the guy who mentioned the play.

If for me, I've actually been generally supportive of JG that year--regardless of the SF defense or the running game support he had, he led a team to the Super Bowl with a 10 point lead and what, 8 minutes left. So kudos for that. I was just saying that, factually, he didn't get it done. The team didn't. They lost.

Somewhat OT, no desire to rewatch that or really any other game. Not a big rewatcher overall. I did rewatch the 4th quarter of the Pats-KC championship game the weekend of the super bowl. Damn, that game almost literally gave me a heart attack...I rewatched because I think I had blacked out for stretches of it the first time around.

Why not, HT is just about done...
Honestly I think his $$$ far outpaces his expected production and he has shown strong resistance to the idea of restructuring in the past. Also SF's LB aren't fantastic so mayne something there. I'd rather keep Gilmore for another year by giving him an 8M raise and then get the 3rd rounder next year. I think this is Hightower last season either way (if he plays at all) so get what you can for him now.

A 1st? NO!!!
Our 2nd? No!
I'd consider our 3rd. Oh, wait! Bobby Kraft's video MORONS cost us that excellent pick. So maybe one of our 3rd comp picks. Maybe.
Toss in a player, say Harry or more seriously Sony, but in that case it would be a 4th round pick.

Why not, HT is just about done...

Because unless Winovich, Uche, Jennings, Bentley, AND Maluia take big leaps forward next year, we NEED linebackers on this team. I don't think Hightower is "just about done". He took a year off due to COVID, and should still be a solid rotational player at a position that is desperate for veteran leadership. Gronk was "just about done" too when he retired, and after one year off came back and was a key contributor to a Super Bowl team.

Because unless Winovich, Uche, Jennings, Bentley, AND Maluia take big leaps forward next year, we NEED linebackers on this team. I don't think Hightower is "just about done". He took a year off due to COVID, and should still be a solid rotational player at a position that is desperate for veteran leadership. Gronk was "just about done" too when he retired, and after one year off came back and was a key contributor to a Super Bowl team.
I believe our 1st rd pick will be a LB personally. I think that's where the value will be at 15

I know that the world thinks Belichick still loves this guy because he developed him and reports that Belichick wanted to trade Brady to San Fran instead of Jimmy. But maybe Belichick has cooled on the guy.

Everyone said that Groppolo going to the 49ers was the best thing for him because of the coaching staff could develop him. But even in 2019, he was still very mistake prone.

And let's face it. The guy cannot stay on the field. He has has been a starter for four years now and three of those years he missed games due to injury with two years him missing most of the season.

I am not sure Belichick wants Garoppolo back now. No matter what Belichick thinks of him as a player, he can't make plays from IR.
Definitely agree with this.

He might be in BB’s top 5, though.

1613323061133.gif

Plus you need character and player expertise LEADERSHIP in a rebuilding effort with lotsa new guys. Need High.

I try not to buy into every rumor I hear during the season (because there's a lot of crap thrown against the wall), but it doesn't feel like a coincidence that Winovich was supremely effective in a 3rd down role with no behavioral issues when he was on a team with a group of veteran linebackers, then had some (reported) issues when he was 2nd only to Bentley on team seniority. He might grow into a more mature player, but having a vet who's won before in the room to keep young players focused is one of those intangibles that can't be understated. Having Mayo as a coach is good, but it's different when it's coming from a guy who's on the field with you.

I believe our 1st rd pick will be a LB personally. I think that's where the value will be at 15

It might very well be. But I never like to rely on rookies for prominent roles in their first year. If they earn it, that's awesome, but I'd rather have Hightower to be there to give the rookie guidance and a bar he has to surpass to earn more playing time. Just handing the reins to a rookie because there's little other competition is a bad move IMO.

It might very well be. But I never like to rely on rookies for prominent roles in their first year. If they earn it, that's awesome, but I'd rather have Hightower to be there to give the rookie guidance and a bar he has to surpass to earn more playing time. Just handing the reins to a rookie because there's little other competition is a bad move IMO.
I hear you...and in a vacuum I agree. But Hightower at a $10 M cap hit? I'll pass.

EDIT: His cap hit is actually $12.445 Million. No way Bill keeps that IMO.

Will Nick Foles be available?

I hear you...and in a vacuum I agree. But Hightower at a $10 M cap hit? I'll pass.

I'm guessing they restructure him, but even if they don't this is the year we actually HAVE cap space to work with, so the valuation is different. If keeping Hightower at $10m means missing out on another good player we could add, then that's a different argument (and I'd have to look at the particulars), but if he doesn't? I don't really care what he makes.

If you trade for him, you not only lose what you traded but you’re stuck with his contract. Oh sure, they could restructure it but it would give Garoppolo an incredible amount of leverage.

If you trade for him, you not only lose what you traded but you’re stuck with his contract. Oh sure, they could restructure it but it would give Garoppolo an incredible amount of leverage.
Great point...I don't love Jimmy if we trade an asset AND have to pay him $26M this year. I LOVE him if we sign him because he was released for around $18M

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back