PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick should trade the 1st rounder for Garoppolo

Jimmy G. is a really, really good QB...when he is healthy. Playing on grass at Levi Stadium in a warm climate has got to be better for his health than coming to a frozen Gillette.

I don't know how he got injured; did he try to scramble when he should have swallowed the ball? Can such suicidal tendencies be unlearned? If so, he would be an excellent pickup, but I doubt that SF would part with him for less than a first....

The Pats need more first round talent, like Harry.

No way BB trades more for Jimmy than what he got when he traded him away. That 15 pick needs to be Smith, Waddle, Chase, or Pitts.

Trade a first?

how about just wait until he’s released
This.

Only way San Fran trades him is if it's part of a bigger deal for Deshawn Watson or Matt Ryan or even Kirk Cousins, and Jimmy G is just a side piece in the deal.

I doubt Bill trades anything for Jimmy. The Niners want a QB in return and we don't have one to give them.
Yeah, I don't think Garoppolo is available in trade until they acquire a different QB... at which time, his value goes down, because everyone knows they don't need him and want to offload his high cap number. If they never get another QB I think they'll just keep him.

I still think JimmyG is getting some unfair heat since the SB. He was minutes away from winning and let's not forget Shanaham has some experience losing SBs.

The injuries are a problem indeed. I think they could offer a package instead of the 1st.

Jimmy is a fit in this offense.

This.

Only way San Fran trades him is if it's part of a bigger deal for Deshawn Watson or Matt Ryan or even Kirk Cousins, and Jimmy G is just a side piece in the deal.
An interesting note here is that Garoppolo actually has a no-trade clause, so they would need him to sign off on any trade involving him. Obviously, they could say "let us trade you or we're just going to cut you", but he may prefer a release anyway. Several moving pieces there.

Another thought process is that they trade him in order to gain capital to move up for a QB in the draft. Could be in range of someone like Wilson or Fields if they move from #12 to #7 or something.

49ers are interested in Watson. BB (obviously) has a relationship with Caserio. BB might enable a SF trade for Watson by giving up a pick for JG. Just spitballing here.

I like Jimmy but that's too much to give up for him. 2nd rounder at most, or wait until he's released and hope he has fond memories of playing for Josh and Bill. His injuries are a concern, no doubt, but of all the options we've thought about to this point, he's the most "sure" thing since we already know he can play in this system when healthy.

49ers are interested in Watson. BB (obviously) has a relationship with Caserio. BB might enable a SF trade for Watson by giving up a pick for JG. Just spitballing here.
I can definitely see a three-way trade setup where Jimmy goes to NE and Watson goes to SF for SF's #12, a 2022 first, their 2021 second, and NE's 2021 second. So Houston ultimately gets #12, #44, #47 and next year's SF first. They can use those first three to move up and get a top-shelf QB and still have two firsts next year. Having said that... when do three-way trades ever happen in the NFL?

I can definitely see a three-way trade setup where Jimmy goes to NE and Watson goes to SF for SF's #12, a 2022 first, their 2021 second, and NE's 2021 second. So Houston ultimately gets #12, #44, #47 and next year's SF first. They can use those first three to move up and get a top-shelf QB and still have two firsts next year. Having said that... when do three-way trades ever happen in the NFL?
I love this, Ross.

My hot take is HOU might not think they are getting enough in return.

Having said that... when do three-way trades ever happen in the NFL?
Hershel Walker deal involved 3 teams... Dallas, Minnesota and San Diego

Absolutely not! Just sit back and wait and see what the 49ers do during the draft. If the Falcons draft a QB, Ryan will be traded to SF. Cousins is also rumored as well. Jimmy G will then be released. Seats are heating up in SF. Lynch finally admitted his blunder saying he's haunted by passing on Mahomes for the legend of Soloman Thomas.
Matt Ryan and his 47 million dollar cap hit?

I love this, Ross.

My hot take is HOU might not think they are getting enough in return.
If watson really wants out from under the God Squads thumb/out of Houston, he should convert to Islam ... DeShawn Ali Obama... and start going after Easterby... That will be enough return

Again. You trade a young guy with a promising career for a 2nd round pick. Many years later you want him back even though he’s gonna cost you a **** ton more money, and he has proven he can’t stay healthy so you offer a first? Hell no. How about a second? Same as what you trade him for? Hell. NO!

Paying out a first after for an oft-injured guy after shipping him out for a second?

Has that ever worked in the NFL?*

*Yes, the question is serious. Anyone researching the answer should feel free to ignore the injury part of the question, and even the specific round of the first half of the trade, if that makes finding the answer easier.

Matt Ryan and his 47 million dollar cap hit?
If they take a QB, it's time to move on from Ryan. Maybe he can lower his cap number before trading him.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back