PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barring Trades Are All Of These 23 Defensive Locks (or almost locks)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we can safely assume that Duron Harmon is a lock for multiple reasons, the first being that he continues to play at a very high level.

Williams is a 2nd round pick in his rookie year. He’d really have to have a terrible attitude for them to move on from him.

My fault on the Williams selection. I thought he meant Terrance Brooks, which I though was Terrance williams. As for Harmon, I think he’s a great player, but I see Obi getting a real shot. I think we just have a nice defense this season and there are going to be some surprise trades and cuts, that’s why I listed so many.

Butler is 100% a lock. He went far under the radar for how good he was last year. He is going to have a breakout year.
He seemed to be better vs the run last year as well

Butler is 100% a lock. He went far under the radar for how good he was last year. He is going to have a breakout year.

He was good last year.

The reason I removed Butler from the "lock list" is because his camp so far has been sort of disappointing. He is losing in the one on one drills (most losses by ANY defensive lineman). Bedard reports he has put on weight to become a more every down lineman and this has resulted in a loss of the quickness that made him a good situational player.

As I said in the Pennel thread, DT is a position things change quickly. Butler is still a favorite for a roster spot, but BB has moved quickly in the past when he feels a DL has lost his edge. I am not saying that is the case with Butler, but it raises enough doubt in my mind to not consider him a 100% lock.

Jones is absolutely a lock this year. Keeping him gives BB the versatility he hasn’t had since 2003. This is arguably the best CB group BB has ever had.
I want that to be true. But, I also remember thinking Milloy and Mankins were locks. BB is a sneaky dude.

The team, IMO, is better WITH, but for the original reasons stated, I wouldn’t be shocked if BB moved him.

Cutting Wise would be a surprise. Maybe others feel differently, but I’d be shocked.

He's a reliable DE that's good against the run and can rush the passer but doesn't excel at any one thing. I feel like he's a starter against some teams and a backup against others.

How much of a factor is tradeability of a player? For example if Roberts and Calhoun are even but Flores or Patricia are hot after Roberts since they coached him and surrender a draft pick then Calhoun makes the team.

My fault on the Williams selection. I thought he meant Terrance Brooks, which I though was Terrance williams. As for Harmon, I think he’s a great player, but I see Obi getting a real shot. I think we just have a nice defense this season and there are going to be some surprise trades and cuts, that’s why I listed so many.

Harmon i s a free safety - Obi is more in the Chung role. Harmon isn't going anywhere, I don't think. Would be a shock cut.

Best (worst) thing about that article, depending on how you look at it, us: this team has sick depth and the practice squad will have several players who should be on an NFL team.

They certainly wouldn't need to cut Wise.

He's a 25 year old last year until injured starter still with two years on his rookie contract counting less than 800K against the cap.

They aren't cutting Wise.

He was good last year.

The reason I removed Butler from the "lock list" is because his camp so far has been sort of disappointing. He is losing in the one on one drills (most losses by ANY defensive lineman). Bedard reports he has put on weight to become a more every down lineman and this has resulted in a loss of the quickness that made him a good situational player.

As I said in the Pennel thread, DT is a position things change quickly. Butler is still a favorite for a roster spot, but BB has moved quickly in the past when he feels a DL has lost his edge. I am not saying that is the case with Butler, but it raises enough doubt in my mind to not consider him a 100% lock.

It's preseason but I thought he looked good against the Lions. I'll pay closer attention against the Titans and Panthers to see how he's doing.

Cutting Wise would be a surprise. Maybe others feel differently, but I’d be shocked.
Almost impossible. He is the best run defending DE we have by far. I actually missed that he was listed probably because i couldn’t believe anyone would think that. August is crazy time.

How much of a factor is tradeability of a player? For example if Roberts and Calhoun are even but Flores or Patricia are hot after Roberts since they coached him and surrender a draft pick then Calhoun makes the team.
calhoun and Roberts play different positions.
Having coached a player means you know him. It doesn’t necessarily mean you want him. In the case of Roberts it’s debatable that the more you know him the less your opinion may be.

DEFENSE (23 LOCKS OR ALMOST LOCKS)
4 DE - Bennett, Wise, Simon, Winovich
4 DT - Guy, Pennel, Shelton, Butler
6 LB - Hightower, Van Noy, Roberts, Collins, Bentley, King
5 CB - Gilmore, McCourty, Jackson, Jones, Williams
4 S - McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Brooks

TOP CONTENDERS FOR 1 OR 2 ROSTER SPOTS
DE - RIVERS
DT - Cowart, Parry, Kamalu
LB - Calhoun, Sam
CB - Crossen, Dawson, MELIFONWU
S - Ebner
Pennel and Roberts are definitely not locks.

I strongly disagree with the idea that Crossen is far better at St's than Ebner or King

Crossen's a lock because of his ST value. He's a far better ST'r than Ebner or King.

Off of the Bedard list - my guess is that Thomas, Meredith and Ebner remain on PUP moving those decisions until later in the year. Gordon remains suspended until after the season starts. (am guessing 6 games)

One of Beck or Izzo gets cut and picked up on Practice squad

I thought Roberts played fairly well last year but could be a victim of the numbers game. Would not be surprised to see him moved for a conditional pick. Expect the same with a CB or 2 but hard to say which one. Dawson appears to be in trouble.

Would be very surprised if Meyers, Harmon and Simon did not make the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down