SOURCE:WEEI

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Giants
Thu
Aug 29th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Pats Best Rookie?
Chase Winovich is off to a terrific start here in preseason and looks to have a bright future ahead of him.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Barring Trades Are All Of These 23 Defensive Locks (or almost locks)?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Aug 10, 2019.

1. TheFlyingWedge

TheFlyingWedge In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,580
    Say what you will about Roberts, but he has put in some solid years for the Pats and held up well when he was needed. BB says that often a player’s greatest ability is his availability. I don’t think he’ll get cut... Traded maybe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SBLIII

SBLIII In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,507
    don't see even that. Roberts is a valuable piece in the rush defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheFlyingWedge

Ratings:
    +2,580
    Odd to see Duron Harmon getting reps in the first preseason game though isn’t it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. TheFlyingWedge

Ratings:
    +2,580
    They have a lot of depth at LB though. If a trade is made, it would be at a position of depth with a player, most likely, who is valuable to the Pats or to another team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21,864
    I can see how you would feel that way, but we just watched Patrick Mahomes and Baker Mayfield get reps in the first preseason game, too. Brady has done it plenty of times.

How long did he play for? I don’t pay much attention to the first couple of preseason games, so I still haven’t watched the replay, yet. If DMcC and Chung both sat, then I think it’s more understandable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. 203Pat

203Pat Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,072
    King just re-signed a couple months ago and would carry a $1 million cap hit if cut so he isn't going anywhere.
    I believe Roberts is a dead man walking. He is a solid LB but nowhere near as versatile as the other LB's. If this was 1994 he would be great. He is a thumper who can blow up some running plays but doesn't offer much more than that. With Bentley back I think his fate is sealed. With that said if the numbers work out and he stays in a backup role I wouldn't be mad.
    Ebner always seems to stick around and would have a dead cap hit of $600k if released so I believe Crossen would really need to stand out to take his spot on the roster. With that said if Crossen is close he is significantly cheaper and also offers a little bit on the defensive side as well where as Ebner does not.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,389
    You suggest having Cowart/Butler, Crossen, Obi, Rivers/Calhoun, and cutting King and Brooks from my list of 25 (including Rivers and Obi). I'd be fine with Cowart and/or Calhoun making the 53. Actually, I like Calhoun a lot.

So, I am OK with Cowart/Butler, Obi, and Rivers/Calhoun; the differences are in the STers: you would cut Brooks and King; and add Crossen. I would keep both Brooks and King; and cut Crossen.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
    Yes, the norm is 5 on the field. To me, that means we need 5 backups, including STers. I have 5 corners and 5 safeties (including Brooks and Obi). Crossen could beat out one of the last two, but I don't think that we need Crossen.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,389
    I strongly agree. I also think that Brooks' contract makes him a likely keep.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  9. Family

Family Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,048
    This is an excellent point. You only need to look at how they structure new signings to determine who is most likely to stick.

There is no advantage to cutting Brooks/King, while someone like Mike Pennel is easily cut.

• Sad Sad x 1
  10. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48,070
    I'd say that there are other factors that make calling this a difficult thing to do. Theoretical depth at unusual positions (i.e. QB, P) make it more difficult to determine how many slots are going to be available for defensive players. BB and Caserio also have to decide who they'd be willing to risk getting claimed if the team tries to get them to the practice squad. Also, in close call scenarios with those depth players, teams might be willing to make those trades you speak of, and those trades might change how we look at all the spots.

So, looking at the OP list, and going by the various reports as best we can, I think that there are some excellent candidates for trades, as much as candidates for cuts, and that takes players off the "lock" level, IMO. A CB like Jones or a LB like Roberts, for example, I'd say aren't locks, in part because of the very trade issue that your question requires us to ignore.

So, good question, IMO, and I can't really see a way to give you an answer that can fit the parameters.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,443
    Another factor here is Belichick's principle to make each year's team different, and to accentuate that in post-championship years.

12. Kdo5

Kdo5 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,072
    Harmon is a lock, no idea where you are getting that from. Wasn’t he a captain last season or the year before? And it’s not like his play has dipped. He is very consistent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. willard

willard On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +279
    Wow do we have a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball. I like Calhoun a lot based on what I am hearing. Rivers is balling. They make Wise more available. Sam has nice qualities as a linebacker. Roberts has proven himself. I sure hope we can leverage a trade for a good blocking tight end. There will definitely be players we cut or trade playing on other NFL teams. Bill has a pretty full cupboard on defense to help out our tight end position. Personally a lot more concerned with blocking than receiving with our left tackle position being the biggest question mark on the team. Right now our D is stacked and double stacked.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. BelichickFan

BelichickFan TB12, BB = G.O.A.T.s PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,467
    I think he'll make it. Not sure about a lock. He didn't play much in the Super Bowl even with Chung hurt. Cut/trade would save about $2M this year and about $4M next year. Depth has been added and we could probably get a mid to late draft pick for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Angelpats

Angelpats Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2,146
    What ^^^^ said.

16. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48,070
    • Useful Useful x 2
  17. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +7,866
    It saddens me to admit that, more likely than not, Brandon the King of ST Penalties is a lock, though I'd still rather keep Christian Sam, who also plays STs and obviously has a much higher ceiling as a possible contributor on defense...though I suppose he could pass through waivers unclaimed on Cut-Down Day, then be re-signed to the PS...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  18. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,775
    I would think so too, but FWIW Bedard has Harmon as a cut, one of several surprises (Deatrich Wise, Danny Shelton).

The tackle position is looking a lot less settled right now than we expected early in camp.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. dex13

dex13 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +83
    Chunt and Harmon are different safeties. I've always considered Harmon more a coverage safety while Chung plays closer to the line. Different skill sets so its not a one for one swap in the defensive scheme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kdo5

Kdo5 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,072
    Hmm I don’t know what insight Bedard has that no one else is aware of. I’ll believe it when I see it, I’d be shocked.

• Agree Agree x 1