PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

23rd Overall Draft Pick ISAIAH WYNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, he will be facing pass rushers who have mastered their hand fighting techniques and with those short arms and reach, he may really struggle.

PFF grades are the dependent variable here so take with a grain of salt (but it's useful in the aggregate), but there's no correlation between arm length and tackle play: Does Arm Length Affect OT Play? | PFF News & Analysis | Pro Football Focus

Wynn has longer arms than Riley Reiff and Bryan Bulaga, and his arm length is about the same as Joe Thomas. It's just not a concern.

If I remember correctly on 4 and 1 Georgia goes for it and Wynn's guy tackles Michel three yards deep in the backfield, he got completely beat to the inside on a 4 and 1 run! I think it was late in the first half. Eason was running for his life the entire game! But none of those Auburn DEs are getting drafted! Wynn will not hold up against NFL DE (well maybe in practice, as he will be going against the worst ones in the NFL) but once the games start, you will see, he has no business playing tackle in the NFL. Maybe a serviceable guard, not exactly what you are looking for with the 23rd pick. Especially when you considered you traded away Brandon Cooks for Isaiah Wynn????????

Now I know you don't know anything. Fromm played that game, not Eason.

Holland spent a lot of time in the backfield -- you know, the guy who rushed against the RIGHT tackle. I am rewatching the game right now and charting snaps, and so far Wynn is an absolute brick wall, as usual. The only thing that makes sense to me is that you literally think Wynn is a different person, because Wynn was a monster in this game, just like all of his other games. I really don't think you know what you're talking about.

Exactly. The right tackle is 71 and he gave up 2 or 3 sacks in the Auburn game, while Wynn gave up none. Most of the game Wynn battled against Nick Coe, a RS freshman who had no tackles and no assists in the entire game.

Watch the FCS Championship game. Williams, Hand, Evans and Payne were all pretty well contained by Wynn. Two (Evans and Payne) of those 4 were drafted in the first round. Hand is projected to go in rounds 2-3 and he was neutralized. Williams is a highly regarded blue chip freshman who didn't deserve to be on the field against Wynn. Wynn didn't even break a sweat blocking him. There's one play where Payne stunts around Wynn and he picks up the stunt effortlessly and stopped Payne in his tracks.

Too short to play tackle in the NFL? Charlie Leno says hello and Wynn is better. Wynn is a really good offensive lineman.

PFF grades are the dependent variable here so take with a grain of salt (but it's useful in the aggregate), but there's no correlation between arm length and tackle play: Does Arm Length Affect OT Play? | PFF News & Analysis | Pro Football Focus

Wynn has longer arms than Riley Reiff and Bryan Bulaga, and his arm length is about the same as Joe Thomas. It's just not a concern.
1/8 of an inch longer than Vollmer too, despite the 4 7/8 inch difference in height.

If I remember correctly on 4 and 1 Georgia goes for it and Wynn's guy tackles Michel three yards deep in the backfield, he got completely beat to the inside on a 4 and 1 run! I think it was late in the first half. Eason was running for his life the entire game! But none of those Auburn DEs are getting drafted! Wynn will not hold up against NFL DE (well maybe in practice, as he will be going against the worst ones in the NFL) but once the games start, you will see, he has no business playing tackle in the NFL. Maybe a serviceable guard, not exactly what you are looking for with the 23rd pick. Especially when you considered you traded away Brandon Cooks for Isaiah Wynn????????

ncZUg6z.png

yZjpr7N.png

xTSxg4o.png

tVRu9A8.png

pOfmGxP.png

Feel free to play Where's Wynn here in the photos of the sacks, hurries, and tipped balls in that game. I'll give you a hint: he's the one stoning his man in every single photo.

You're really just talking out of your ass.

[QUOTE="Snooky97, post: 5307002, member: 37953"
We could have one of the most destructive O-Lines within the next 2-5 years!

We lost Solder, and will likely lose Mason next year. Wynn can't replace both players. We needed a Mayock draft to do that (Miller and Daniels).[/QUOTE]

We do have Garcia, who is in the same boat as Wynn basically...

Miller i just wasn't a fan of, and i don't get how he went top 15!

Here's my not so bold prediction: Shaq Mason will not be on our opening day roster. With Brown and Wynn being added, they're going to trade him rather than pay him. They're not going to let him walk away without getting good value in return and there should be a strong market for a young, borderline all pro guard with one year left on a fourth round contract.

I'm not advocating this and I don't want it to happen, but it almost feels inevitable. Hope I'm wrong.

Isaiah Wynn versus Rashaan Evans spin move.

And versus Minkah. That’s two first rounders dispensed with.

This was the highlight that solidified him at the top of my board. It's a very impressive thing to recognize and move with and stone a 1st round prospect on the blitz like that, but it's an altogether next level to finish the block with that kind of meanness. That's a kid who likes playing offensive line. That's a John Hannah block.

Here's my not so bold prediction: Shaq Mason will not be on our opening day roster. With Brown and Wynn being added, they're going to trade him rather than pay him. They're not going to let him walk away without getting good value in return and there should be a strong market for a young, borderline all pro guard with one year left on a fourth round contract.

I'm not advocating this and I don't want it to happen, but it almost feels inevitable. Hope I'm wrong.

His current value is (at least) one year of play plus a compensatory pick type of contract. What's it going to take for a trade to be more than that in the team's eyes?

His current value is (at least) one year of play plus a compensatory pick type of contract. What's it going to take for a trade to be more than that in the team's eyes?

And, if I'm correct, the same is true of Brown. They can use him for a year while the youngsters develop, then get a comp pick that will be close to equal to what they paid for him.

What do you see them getting that would exceed his value here + what is sure to be a decent compensatory pick?

Agreed, Deus.

Apart from your reasoning (which I completely agree with), let me try my own argument for why I would also be shocked to have Mason traded: We have a GOAT QB who is as good as ever, but he is turning 41 before the next season and he has taken a TON of hits the last few seasons. One of the most amazing things about Brady is the amount of hits he takes without missing time.

Now, let's look at what the Patriots have done in the last 24 hours:
  1. They have drafted an first round athletic lineman in Wynn who seems solid at both pass blocking and even more so, run blocking.
  2. The have drafted a first round RB that is outstanding in pass blocking, pass receiving, and being a dynamic runner. Because of his pass blocking and receiving skills, he could be the best every down (both run and pass) back the Patriots have had in years.
  3. They have just traded for a Mammoth Right Tackle from the 49ers.
Conclusion: I think that the Patriots have FINALLY (years after I expected) tried to significantly bolster the running game to decrease somewhat the number of hits that TB absorbs to prolong his GOAT career. At the very least, with a better stocked OL and a every down RB (that can pass protect), TB will have fewer downs where the defenders loose the hounds without fearing a running play.

With all of this evidence that the Patriots are trying to finally bolster the running game, does this really suggest that we are going to trade Mason, the best run blocker (at least currently) on the OL? I guess I'm in the minority, but I think this suggested re-emphasis in the run game means that Mason is more likely to be extended, not less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back