PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

23rd Overall Draft Pick ISAIAH WYNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the OL is being reconfigured, my guess is that Wynn is slotted at LT (Brown at RT).

So where's Cannon?

I mean, maybe he won't be physically ready but I have a hard time thinking an All-Pro won't be on the field.

So where's Cannon?

I mean, maybe he won't be physically ready but I have a hard time thinking an All-Pro won't be on the field.
Fair question. I'm just spitballing as the pieces don't fit at the moment, and another shoe may drop. Someone will be out a job when the music stops, because I see Wynn and Brown as starters. If they kick Wynn or Cannon inside, that bumps another starter. Interesting situation.

If I remember correctly on 4 and 1 Georgia goes for it and Wynn's guy tackles Michel three yards deep in the backfield, he got completely beat to the inside on a 4 and 1 run! I think it was late in the first half. Eason was running for his life the entire game! But none of those Auburn DEs are getting drafted! Wynn will not hold up against NFL DE (well maybe in practice, as he will be going against the worst ones in the NFL) but once the games start, you will see, he has no business playing tackle in the NFL. Maybe a serviceable guard, not exactly what you are looking for with the 23rd pick. Especially when you considered you traded away Brandon Cooks for Isaiah Wynn????????

1 year of Brandon Cooks for 8.5m for 5 years of Wynn on a rookie deal.

So your position is that Cannon is the odd man out? Seems bold.
We could have a lottery to guess the starting OL and it would be much like guessing BB's next draft pick. We spitball as well as the "experts"!

Fair question. I'm just spitballing as the pieces don't fit at the moment, and another shoe may drop. Someone will be out a job when the music stops, because I see Wynn and Brown as starters. If they kick Wynn or Cannon inside, that bumps another starter. Interesting situation.

This goes to why I'm worried about Shaq. I'd love to hear that they signed him to a long term extension, but I'm having Logan Mankins flashbacks (and yes I understand they're completely different situations). Is there a team out there that is desperate for a guard but is flush with OLBs?

Day 1 starter or it was a waste. No grey area? No learning curve? And what if he is a day 1 starter at guard?
Then it was a Waste if Bill doesn't think that Wynn can become a starting LT here, because he's not replacing either Thuney or Mason - neither of whom can play LT - at Guard this season.

As soon as Tennessee jumped ahead of him to 22, Bill should have IMMEDIATELY been making phone calls to trade Down from 22.

1 year of Brandon Cooks for 8.5m for 5 years of Wynn on a rookie deal.
I would have preferred Ryan Ramczyk on his own rookie deal, plus last year's 3rd-rounder and this year's 4th to having one season of the Lost Little Cookie, this year's 6th and Isaiah Wynn...and it's not even close.

Last edited:
Then it was a Waste if Bill doesn't think that Wynn can become a starting LT here, because he's not replacing either Thuney or Mason - neither of whom can play LT - at Guard this season.

As soon as Tennessee jumped ahead of him to 22, Bill should have IMMEDIATELY been making phone calls to trade Down from 22.
You are being extremely short sighted. If your evaluating rookies only on how you perceive their impact on this season then there is no need for further debate.

I was watching the patriots war room draft video and on the Duke Dawson one you get a quick shot of the Patriots depth chart on the wall. If you freeze frame you can see that the two rookies (at that point only Wynn and Michel had been picked) are highlighted in yellow. Wynn is clearly listed as a left tackle.

They also clearly had gaps where they wanted to fill out their depth chart. They have 4 LBs, 4 CBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 2 DTs, 2 TE and 1 QB listed as gaps that need filling. Interestingly there was nothing at defensive end so it suggests they are happy with that for now.

It matches up pretty well with what they ended up putting together as a 90 man roster.

First Look At Patriots’ 90-Man Roster After 2018 NFL Draft, UDFA Signings

Didn't;'t think this was worth its own thread but interesting intel none the less.

I was watching the patriots war room draft video and on the Duke Dawson one you get a quick shot of the Patriots depth chart on the wall. If you freeze frame you can see that the two rookies (at that point only Wynn and Michel had been picked) are highlighted in yellow. Wynn is clearly listed as a left tackle.

I think Wynn will be playing LT unless and until he shows that he is not ready to play LT. I also think that Brown, if he can make the switch, gives the team more leeway when it comes to the Wynn evaluation.

They also clearly had gaps where they wanted to fill out their depth chart. They have 4 LBs, 4 CBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 2 DTs, 2 TE and 1 QB listed as gaps that need filling. Interestingly there was nothing at defensive end so it suggests they are happy with that for now.

Rivers is, essentially, that rookie edge guy in their minds, probably. Wise is the 2nd year guy. My guess is that they'll be very interested in veterans who get released, though.

It matches up pretty well with what they ended up putting together as a 90 man roster.

First Look At Patriots’ 90-Man Roster After 2018 NFL Draft, UDFA Signings

Didn't;'t think this was worth its own thread but interesting intel none the less.

They really need to find LB help and safety depth, and I hope they haven't decided to stand pat at CB and/or DT. There's really not a spot on defense that's good to go.

Wynn may be the left tackle of the future, but when the season opens I expect Brown to be playing LT with Wynn at RT. Thing is, they know Brown can play against NFL talent, while they don't know how Wynn will make the transition from college ball. So they'll entrust Brown with Brady's blind side until and unless he shows he can't handle the left side. That's lower risk and allows them to evaluate Wynn against next level competition.

I would have preferred Ryan Ramczyk on his own rookie deal, plus last year's 4th-rounder and this year's 4th to having one season of the Lost Little Cookie, this year's 6th and Isaiah Wynn...and it's not even close.
Wynn will be better than ramczyk

They've got 3 likely OTs:

Brown
Cannon
Waddle

The IOL starts with:

Thuney
Andrews
Mason

Wynn's going to get a shot to play either OT, IOL or both.

That leaves 1-3 open spots on the line, depending on how many OL they carry (8-10 range), and barring surprises, cuts, or trades. From there, the mini-dramas practically write themselves.

"Will Cannon bounce back to his high level of play?"
"Will Brown be a starter, rotational, backup or cut?"
"Does Waddle make the team now that the Brown trade has happened?"
"Will Mason be traded?"
"Will Thuney be demoted to backup?"
etc...

I'm enjoying the irony of you claiming Wynn cannot replace Thuney at guard. You know, Thuney, the awful pick you thought the Pats made 2 years ago, the guy with t-rex arms.

So either you need to admit you were wrong about Thuney (and many others since you hate every player we've ever added) or it must have been one of the worst talent pools ever in this draft if a guy taken right around the area most projected him to go isn't good enough to replace a player like Thuney. It's one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News