PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

23rd Overall Draft Pick ISAIAH WYNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

1. I'm still unhappy that we used the #23 on a guy who isn't going to have an instant impact on the team THIS year. If he was the guy who they wanted all along, then I would have thought they could have traded down and still got him. There wasn't another OLman selected after 23. Now it looks like we will have THREE developmental OT's on the team this season.

2. On a more positive note, count me among those who isn't concerned about his lack of height. The game has changed and 275+ DE's and edge rushers are now the exception rather than the rule. It's all about quickness and good feet, and according to reports, this kid has that in spades. Also, you should remember that a lot of the tall OT's have issues to deal with BECAUSE of their height. They often get over their heels to easily. They have balance issues, and too many of them have issues with pure speed rushers, like Nate sometimes did. These don't sound like issues Wynn will have.

So count me as being underwhelmed by this pick, but then again, the last time I was really excited about the Pats first round selections was the year Jones and Hightower were picked.
Could it be that Wynn being off the board was why there were no more OL picks in the first round?

If he was their guy I'm ok with picking him early instead of waiting. I've seen some draft reviews raving about him, makes me think some other team well might've grabbed him if we didn't.

We needed a starting quality LT. The top 2 were long gone. So, we drafted a starting LT who can start at OG next year.

Folks wanted defense. I would note two things. Apparently, Belichick thought that we needed help at LT (and OG in 2019). That made this position the #1 need. The fact that he got one of the top players in the draft is awesome.

I assume he'll start at LT. I hope the best for Garcia definitely but the reality is:

- Mason is a FA after this season.
- Our "starting" LT (before the draft) has never taken an NFL snap (I consider Waddle a really good swing backup).
- Our starting RT should be healthy but missed almost the whole of 2017.

Unlikely possibility - Not impossible Mason could be traded with one year left with Wynn slotting into his spot but I expect a Wynn-Thuney-Andrews-Mason-Cannon OL. Next year if Mason is gone and Garcia set physically is could be Garcia-Thuney-Andrews-Wynn-Cannon.

Because Nate Solder and Shaq Mason play the same position.:rolleyes:

You seem to be ignoring that you have no clue what the Pats Cap situation will be like when/if Mason is a Free Agent. You seem to forget that the Patriots agreed to extensions for guys like Cannon, Light, Koppen, Solder, Mankins, Andrews, etc, pretty easily the first time through.

Pretty easy extension with Mankins, when he held out for half the season and bad mouthed them publically during the process.....

It doesn't necessarily matter what the Patriots cap situation is; they use that to prioritize talent choices. If the Pats had 50m of free cap space this offseason, do you think they would have matched/beat the offer for Solder? I don't - I don't think they'd do that if they didn't think the player is worth it, they'd just move on and spend the 50m elsewhere.

Certainly Mason could sign a below market deal to stay with the team like the rest of those guys. I suspect the team reached out to Mason's agents already to see what he was thinking; I don't think they went in blind. And given the contracts that guards have commanded this offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if they do think of Wynn as a guard contingency plan if the market for Mason gets too hot.

I hope the Patriots know what they are doing with this pick. On the highlight reels, if you can call them that, he looked like a big floppy doofus. And he grabbed on every play... I don't get it. Can he pass block? It does not look that way...

• Ha Ha
Reactions: jah
He is likely to start at LT.

I would call that an instant impact.
"Likely" is a bit of a stretch, isn't it. MG.

But, regardless it is done, so here's a random thought. Joe Thuney was a LT in college and better fits "the profile". Maybe the plan is to move Thuney out to LT and start Wynn at LG this season. Of course, this presupposes that Garcia won't be a factor at all.

Pretty easy extension with Mankins, when he held out for half the season and bad mouthed them publically during the process.....

That was his second extension..

I hope the Patriots know what they are doing with this pick. On the highlight reels, if you can call them that, he looked like a big floppy doofus. And he grabbed on every play... I don't get it. Can he pass block? It does not look that way...

Nope, that is exactly what he is, I can't understand this pick.

"Likely" is a bit of a stretch, isn't it. MG.

But, regardless it is done, so here's a random thought. Joe Thuney was a LT in college and better fits "the profile". Maybe the plan is to move Thuney out to LT and start Wynn at LG this season. Of course, this presupposes that Garcia won't be a factor at all.

Thuney's taller but he's got short arms. Wynn's got longer arms by an inch, same arm length as Matt Light. That matters more for a tackle than height.

Why did he play guard if he’s such a great tackle prospect? Are Georgia’s tackles that good?

He played left guard for 26 starts then moved outside to LT where they needed him after Tyler Catalina left for the NFL after the 2016 season.

Could someone please explain t0 me the difference between height and length? I like the pick, but he doesn't have arms like plastic man, so where does the length come from?

Back in the old days, you had height and long or short arms.

Nope, that is exactly what he is, I can't understand this pick.

Sorry, FTW, but your characterization of Wynn is downright laughable. It truly is. Everything you've claimed about him is the exact opposite of the guy as a player..

If you focus on just HIM (#77) he's anything but a "big floppy doofus who grabbed on every play".

He mirrored the edge rushers perfectly on pass protection. In run blocking, he was doing very well.. almost always getting to the second level.

Why don't you actually look at the reel that @longdistance provided in his post

Could someone please explain t0 me the difference between height and length? I like the pick, but he doesn't have arms like plastic man, so where does the length come from?

Back in the old days, you had height and long or short arms.

Height is how tall you are.
Length is how tall you are with your hands above your head.

Wynn has good arm length for his height. He's got good quick feet. He's got good knee bend. And he fires out of his stance on run blocks extremely quickly, allowing for excellent leverage.

Sorry, FTW, but your characterization of Wynn is downright laughable. It truly is. Everything you've claimed about him is the exact opposite of the guy as a player..

If you focus on just HIM (#77) he's anything but a "big floppy doofus who grabbed on every play".

He mirrored the edge rushers perfectly on pass protection. In run blocking, he was doing very well.. almost always getting to the second level.

Why don't you actually look at the reel that @longdistance provided in his post

Watch the first Auburn- Georgia game, the one where Georgia got destroyed because Auburn's DE spent the afternoon in the backfield.

Wynn can not play tackle in the NFL. He is not better than either Thuney and certainly not Mason at Guard.

That was his second extension..

No, it was actually his first extension. He got royally screwed by the CBA. His first contract was a 5 year deal which lasted from 2005 through 2009. He was scheduled for unrestricted free agency prior to 2010, but when the owners exercised the option to shorten the CBA, one of the consequences (besides the uncapped year) was that players needed 6 years of service for unrestricted free agency, not 5 (current rules require 4).

So the Pats gave him a 1st round restricted free agency tender (about $1.5M) instead of the franchise tag (maybe 7-8M then) for 2010. That led to the whole holdout. He showed up midyear 2010, played the rest of year on the RFA tender, and then the Pats applied the franchise tag for 2011; they eventually reached an agreement on the contract during the summer of 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes