PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

23rd Overall Draft Pick ISAIAH WYNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then we’l have a quality guard opening holes for Michel. I’m not so sure though.
I thought exactly the same. Wynn taken to create holes for Michael:)

Wow, what a surprise to see so much like for this pick.. after reading the pundits I came here last and am surprised that PatsFans think this is such a good choice..

UGA the new pipeline for the Pats...

I've watched a bit of Wynn in the past hour and I'm starting to think he can play tackle. Not just play it but play it well. Either way he'll be starting week one for us. Unlike some of the bigger OTs in this draft he doesn't need that much work in my view.

He just doesn't give up any pressures. He's an absolute technician, has a beautiful kick slide, really uses his hands and leverage well. He's really light on his feet and his height may help him with the players Solder used to struggle with - the shorter speedier DEs (Melvin Ingram etc). As @manxman2601 said, he also has great vision. Lost track of the number of times he blocked his man and then switched to a unblocked rusher at the last second.

A thought occurred to me that maybe given the trend in the nfl on defence is towards smaller speed based players (even at OLB/DE) that tackles are actually getting too tall. It's hard for 6'7 or 6'8 guys to get the knee bend to block them consistently. Wynn may struggle with the JJ Watt type ends of the world but how many 6'6' 295 ends still exist? All these DEs now just want to get the corner - Wynn excels there.

Who are examples of elite offensive tackles under 6'3" in the NFL in the last 20 years?

Again, not being sarcastic, genuine question.

PP, you may be onto something. Short tackles means short QB. If Belichick signs Johnny Clipboard off his "Spring League" and Texas A&M NFL day it will be party time in Foxboro. I can just see Brady eating guacamole ice cream in the locker room while Manziel and Joker are doing Tequila shooters.

BTW, I had the Pats taking Wynn with their 1st pick over on the draft sub-forum. He is 6'3, 313 - two inches shorter than your prototypical OT, but his weight, quickness, bench press, are all right there as far as guys drafted early. He is a good comparison to Laremy Tunsil 6'5" of the Dolphins who went in the 1st round out of Mississippi.

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - ISAIAH WYNN | NFL.com

I've watched a bit of Wynn in the past hour and I'm starting to think he can play tackle. Not just play it but play it well. Either way he'll be starting week one for us. Unlike some of the bigger OTs in this draft he doesn't need that much work in my view.

He just doesn't give up any pressures. He's an absolute technician, has a beautiful kick slide, really uses his hands and leverage well. He's really light on his feet and his height may help him with the players Solder used to struggle with - the shorter speedier DEs (Melvin Ingram etc). As @manxman2601 said, he also has great vision. Lost track of the number of times he blocked his man and then switched to a unblocked rusher at the last second.

A thought occurred to me that maybe given the trend in the nfl on defence is towards smaller speed based players (even at OLB/DE) that tackles are actually getting too tall. It's hard for 6'7 or 6'8 guys to get the knee bend to block them consistently. Wynn may struggle with the JJ Watt type ends of the world but how many 6'6' 295 ends still exist? All these
DEs now just want to get the corner - Wynn excels there.

I remember watching and really being comfortable to give Lamp a strong grade after he put on a clinic against Bama. Handled, Allen, Williams, Payne, everyone w/out blinking. When a guy can handled and excel vs that type of talent w/out missing a beat he can play at a high level. Wynn's tape vs bama was great.

Very strong hands, prob top 3-5 in the class. When he gets a hold of you its over. Very impressive.

Hes also the perfect OL'm for todays passing game. He beats almost everyone to his spot. Ive seen it on twitter for months, you watch Michel and Wynn is everywhere, fast.

A thought occurred to me that maybe given the trend in the nfl on defence is towards smaller speed based players (even at OLB/DE) that tackles are actually getting too tall. It's hard for 6'7 or 6'8 guys to get the knee bend to block them consistently. Wynn may struggle with the JJ Watt type ends of the world but how many 6'6' 295 ends still exist? All these
DEs now just want to get the corner - Wynn excels there.

I remember watching and really being comfortable to give Lamp a strong grade after he put on a clinic against Bama. Handled, Allen, Williams, Payne, everyone w/out blinking. When a guy can handled and excel vs that type of talent w/out missing a beat he can play at a high level. Wynn's tape vs bama was great.

Very strong hands, prob top 3-5 in the class. When he gets a hold of you its over. Very impressive.

Hes also the perfect OL'm for todays passing game. He beats almost everyone to his spot. Ive seen it on twitter for months, you watch Michel and Wynn is everywhere, fast.

Isaiah Wynn T/G age 21
Joe Thuney G age 25
David Andrews C age 26
Shag Mason G age 25
Marcus Cannon T age 30

Waddle/Garcia/Croston/Karras

Man, this OL group is friggin awesome. If Thuney can take another step forward & BB/Dante trust Wynn at LT, it’s in discussion with the best unit in the league behind the Eagles.

It may be a homer thing to say but Wynn could honestly be an upgrade over Solder performance wise this early. As @reamer & others have said, Wynn was so technically sound & dominant in college (way more than McGlinchey & Miller). Solder gave up the 5th most pressures of all tackles according to PFF.

I don’t expect Wynn to be as good as Nate in the run game but damn he can be an upgrade as a pass blocker.

For a unit that helped pave 5.1 ypc without Cannon vs. the Eagles front & really gelled towards the end of the year Michel has to be pumped lol. Light fronts & a stud OL.

Why did he play guard if he’s such a great tackle prospect? Are Georgia’s tackles that good?

Isaiah Wynn T/G age 21
Joe Thuney G age 25
David Andrews C age 26
Shag Mason G age 25
Marcus Cannon T age 30

Waddle/Garcia/Croston/Karras

Man, this OL group is friggin awesome. If Thuney can take another step forward & BB/Dante trust Wynn at LT, it’s in discussion with the best unit in the league behind the Eagles.

It may be a homer thing to say but Wynn could honestly be an upgrade over Solder performance wise this early. As @reamer & others have said, Wynn was so technically sound & dominant in college (way more than McGlinchey & Miller). Solder gave up the 5th most pressures of all tackles according to PFF.

I don’t expect Wynn to be as good as Nate in the run game but damn he can be an upgrade as a pass blocker.

For a unit that helped pave 5.1 ypc without Cannon vs. the Eagles front & really gelled towards the end of the year Michel has to be pumped lol. Light fronts & a stud OL.
Chargers’ O-Line may have something to say about that.

Why did he play guard if he’s such a great tackle prospect? Are Georgia’s tackles that good?

Started at LT in college. If players don’t meet height/arm length thresholds they are projected to play guard but Wynn could be an exception.

Not excited by a short tackle, defense is a mess.

Wynn was more than likely selected to be Mason's replacement next season. He'll be a depth tackle and guard this year assuming Garcia is good to go.

His arm length is one inch too short. His height is two inches too short. But he dominated in the SEC and Senior Bowl at OT. I would rather have a technition that is a little undersized than a measurable guy with many technical flaws. I love the pick. He will play day one.

A thought occurred to me that maybe given the trend in the nfl on defence is towards smaller speed based players (even at OLB/DE) that tackles are actually getting too tall. It's hard for 6'7 or 6'8 guys to get the knee bend to block them consistently.

My pre-draft thought exactly

He started all 15 games at LT in 2017 and was the starting LG in 2016.

Incredibly happy with Wynn but...

Why but? because of T question?
It was either either to me in Draft Day thread.
Both great, both can play all (Wynn probably less center versatility while Ragnow has all the traits to step in at T if necessary).

Kind of funny that both D masterminds from Foxboro took OL monsters w 1st pick..
____

add.

Michel and Wynn served as two of the four Georgia captains on last year’s team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference