PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

23rd Overall Draft Pick ISAIAH WYNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mason is excellent - we can't afford to give up OLine studs at this stage of Brady's career.

Did you see the contracts that were given to guards this offseason. Mason is very good but he's not the best - still has a few issues in pass protection - but someone will be willing to pay.

Pats have only picked 4 tackles in the first 2 rounds under BB and Scar. The first 3 were successes - Light, Vollmer, Solder. Scar has the benefit of any doubt here. But if he struggles it'll only be because of size, and he would fit right into Mason's spot next year if that is the case.

love solder the man . but wynn might be an upgrade of sort for a while if needed

4y/62M (35 gtd) vs 4y/10M + 1y option

BB is such a cool custumer..

I've consistently maintained that Wynn is the most technical OL in the draft, and that's more important than ever with the changes to practice rules. He needs the least amount of work with his technique, and he's ready to start right away. I also believe he is a tackle. He's 6026, so he's only a quarter of an inch under 6'3. It's not like he's an even 6'0. People get too caught up on height. He handled every single pass rusher -- LB, EDGE, DT -- who faced him, including some of the players drafted already tonight. Very happy with this pick.

Who are examples of elite offensive tackles under 6'3" in the NFL in the last 20 years?

Again, not being sarcastic, genuine question.

People freak out about arm length until plenty of tackles show its not a must. T/G hes an impact prospect and that's what todays game is. Get all the talent you can and figure "positions" later.

I've consistently maintained that Wynn is the most technical OL in the draft, and that's more important than ever with the changes to practice rules. He needs the least amount of work with his technique, and he's ready to start right away. I also believe he is a tackle. He's 6026, so he's only a quarter of an inch under 6'3. It's not like he's an even 6'0. People get too caught up on height. He handled every single pass rusher -- LB, EDGE, DT -- who faced him, including some of the players drafted already tonight. Very happy with this pick.
It has been established that he has QUICK FEET. That is better than being a few inches longer.

Great solid pick. As for critics, I would think Pats fans of all people wouldn’t get hung up on measurables and flashy names.

On his predraft podcast, Lombardi had Wynn as the 8th best offensive player in the draft (forth not including QBs). Says he can play multiple positions across the line and is a very physical player.

He can play OT but he has the tools to be a Pro Bowl OG.

^ I see him as a tremendous OG too ^. I need to be sold on tackle but wtf do I know

Great solid pick. As for critics, I would think Pats fans of all people wouldn’t get hung up on measurables and flashy names.

I learned the shiny names mean squat the year BB took this unknown named Logan Ryan.

Edit: Logan Mankins

Last edited:
Who are examples of elite offensive tackles under 6'3" in the NFL in the last 20 years?

Again, not being sarcastic, genuine question.

I got him at 6'3". Matt Light was 6'3" give or take

Really disappointed when Vrabel stole Rashad Evans from us. When I heard the name Isaiah Wynn, I said F*CK, another BB pick that I have to google. ;) So I know nothing about kid except he doesn't play defense. It is nice to see some of the draftniks enlighten me about his potential. A couple of thoughts

1. I'm still unhappy that we used the #23 on a guy who isn't going to have an instant impact on the team THIS year. If he was the guy who they wanted all along, then I would have thought they could have traded down and still got him. There wasn't another OLman selected after 23. Now it looks like we will have THREE developmental OT's on the team this season.

2. On a more positive note, count me among those who isn't concerned about his lack of height. The game has changed and 275+ DE's and edge rushers are now the exception rather than the rule. It's all about quickness and good feet, and according to reports, this kid has that in spades. Also, you should remember that a lot of the tall OT's have issues to deal with BECAUSE of their height. They often get over their heels to easily. They have balance issues, and too many of them have issues with pure speed rushers, like Nate sometimes did. These don't sound like issues Wynn will have.

So count me as being underwhelmed by this pick, but then again, the last time I was really excited about the Pats first round selections was the year Jones and Hightower were picked.

I had him as my second best player in the draft. Ignore that OG thing, he's a tackle until he proves otherwise. Great pick, phenomenal pick.

After our discussion I went and looked at his tape and read the reports. GREAT pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes