PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

Coming out of training camp, the Pats put Hines on the 53. That means they felt better about him than a lot of other options. They were concerned about losing Hines which means he is someone they want to keep. Nothing secret about that. The Pats put the best players on the 53, and Hines was on the 53 as a rookie, therefore the Pats think highly of Hines. Not too complicated. I have no inside info. The 53:

View attachment 48040
Coming out of camp Hines hadn’t practiced at all… he was injured the entire time. But they used a draft pick on him and wanted a better look at him when healthy so he made the 53. Once he got healthy and they understood more who he was he got the Foxboro flu.

The backend of the roster is flexible, they created roster lists all preseason to find guys who are out there sitting on practice squads elsewhere who could step in tomorrow and start at OG for them.

This team isn’t well coached, it’s not executing at a consistently high level. The same people blaming Patricia for everything, are the same people on this thread stating talent is the issue on OL.

Last week the Patriots lined up in their own redzone to punt, then incurred a delay of game penalty which pushed them further back into the redzone. Embarrassingly bad coaching.

This team wasn’t well coached last year WITH Josh McDaniels. This simply isn’t a good team, the level of athletic talent is the least of their problems.

Coming out of camp Hines hadn’t practiced at all… he was injured the entire time.
'The New England Patriots returned to the practice fields in full pads on Monday afternoon, and with rookie interior lineman Chasen Hines. The sixth-round draft pick has been cleared from the non-football injury list, head coach Bill Belichick confirmed as the team began its third week of…"

Hines was not injured the whole time - he was moved off the non-football injury list in the third week of practice. I am not sure what you mean.
But they used a draft pick on him and wanted a better look at him when healthy so he made the 53. Once he got healthy and they understood more who he was he got the Foxboro flu.
He earned his spot on the 53 because the Pats' coaches evaluated him well.
The backend of the roster is flexible, they created roster lists all preseason to find guys who are out there sitting on practice squads elsewhere who could step in tomorrow and start at OG for them.

This team isn’t well coached, it’s not executing at a consistently high level. The same people blaming Patricia for everything, are the same people on this thread stating talent is the issue on OL.
I am stating that the primary issue is the OL, and not blaming Patricia, so I am not sure what you mean again.
Last week the Patriots lined up in their own redzone to punt, then incurred a delay of game penalty which pushed them further back into the redzone. Embarrassingly bad coaching.

This team wasn’t well coached last year WITH Josh McDaniels. This simply isn’t a good team, the level of athletic talent is the least of their problems.
You must of missed last year's Bills playoff game. The lack of athletic talent with the Pats linebackers was obvious to anyone that watched the game.

'The New England Patriots returned to the practice fields in full pads on Monday afternoon, and with rookie interior lineman Chasen Hines. The sixth-round draft pick has been cleared from the non-football injury list, head coach Bill Belichick confirmed as the team began its third week of…"
He missed the majority of offseason team workouts, as well as mandatory minicamp, Hines would not see the practice field until Aug. 8, when he was activated from the non-football injury list.
Hines was not injured the whole time - he was moved off the non-football injury list in the third week of practice. I am not sure what you mean.
He arrived at the end of the process and they didn't know what they had in him.
He earned his spot on the 53 because the Pats' coaches evaluated him well.
He didn't see any action in any game and when Cajuste was healthy he went on the IR with the mystery illness... the Foxboro flu. Players who looked good in preseason like Arlington Hambright and Drew Dejarlais are/were sitting out there on practice squads after the team cut down to 53. Teams assemble roster lists of guys they can call if things go south, in this case at guard. There were options there when they finally got a look at Hines and decided what to do with him. But they had Cajuste coming back and Russey on the practice squad and he looked like the better player.
I am stating that the primary issue is the OL, and not blaming Patricia, so I am not sure what you mean again.
The offensive line has had execution issues going back to Scar leaving and the Patriots firing Gregg Popovich's son as the OL coach because he wouldn't take the jab. I wouldn't say this line has talent issues. Cajuste has played well at RT, Trent is the same player he's always been at LT... the problem is the team is a disorganized mess. I don't think much of Hines, he is large but not overly athletic... Russey on the other hands is talented, they have depth. But when you don't know who to block or the play calling is sloppy, athletic talent won't change much.
You must of missed last year's Bills playoff game. The lack of athletic talent with the Pats linebackers was obvious to anyone that watched the game.
I said Josh McDaniels offense was mistake prone and not particularly good, the defense wasn't mentioned. The 2022 team is more talented than the 2021 team... the execution is far worse and the mistakes are mind numbingly stupid.

& we as users are appreciative, both Ian & Ashley. It's cool you have the bug about getting the facts. (It is extremely helpful to enable our quasi-random speculation!) Thanks

He missed the majority of offseason team workouts, as well as mandatory minicamp, Hines would not see the practice field until Aug. 8, when he was activated from the non-football injury list.

He arrived at the end of the process and they didn't know what they had in him.

He didn't see any action in any game and when Cajuste was healthy he went on the IR with the mystery illness... the Foxboro flu. Players who looked good in preseason like Arlington Hambright and Drew Dejarlais are/were sitting out there on practice squads after the team cut down to 53. Teams assemble roster lists of guys they can call if things go south, in this case at guard. There were options there when they finally got a look at Hines and decided what to do with him. But they had Cajuste coming back and Russey on the practice squad and he looked like the better player.

The offensive line has had execution issues going back to Scar leaving and the Patriots firing Gregg Popovich's son as the OL coach because he wouldn't take the jab. I wouldn't say this line has talent issues. Cajuste has played well at RT, Trent is the same player he's always been at LT... the problem is the team is a disorganized mess. I don't think much of Hines, he is large but not overly athletic... Russey on the other hands is talented, they have depth. But when you don't know who to block or the play calling is sloppy, athletic talent won't change much.

I said Josh McDaniels offense was mistake prone and not particularly good, the defense wasn't mentioned. The 2022 team is more talented than the 2021 team... the execution is far worse and the mistakes are mind numbingly stupid.

Cole Popovich (the Patriots' former OL coach) is of no relation to Gregg Popovich.

You can stop stinking up the joint, Trent Brown.

I am not sure that is on Trent Brown. Mac's drop is way too deep because of the guy coming off the right, not left, edge. Not sure what went wrong there, but I think that was on Mac or a receiver. I believe the play design is to allow the free runner and release the ball quickly (like a screen).

Last edited:
Many college football teams have a better OL coach than we do. Just for that, and that alone, Belichick justifiably could be dismissed.

Here’s one:

Wynn is a mediocre to average LT, but a disaster at RT. And Brown, although at times has been exceptional at LT, has been making a lot of mental mistakes all season. Against the Bills he was just awful. Putrid.
Yep. Inconsistency, thy name is Trent B.

marcus cannon can be had cheap haha
And so it came to pass.

What’s next? We trade for Justin Herron?

Belichick has been curiously lackadaisical and reactive when it comes to the OL. It is now holding back the entire offense.

We have a Canadian, a pizza maker, a comedian, and a nepotistic incompetent on our line? I miss the days of Matt Light.

We couldn’t afford a free agent like this, even st a position of need, LT.

Wait, JonKnuckleHead Smith is our $50 million TE with only 200 yards to his credit so far this season.

So what’s going on here, could someone please tell me?

I am not sure that is on Trent Brown. Mac's drop is way too deep because of the guy coming off the right, not left, edge. Not sure what went wrong there, but I think that was on Mac or a receiver. I believe the play design is to allow the free runner and release the ball quickly (like a screen).

I think Stevenson deserves some of the blame. He runs around the free rusher than chipping him. He should have known that even if he was the target that Jones wouldn't have time to get it to him especially since he doesn't even look back for another two or three yards.

I've looked at it multiple times and there isn't a receiver looking back for the ball before the defenders were already on top of Jones. So it could be receivers were not fast enough to turn back, but it really looks like the blocking was the issue on that play.

Jones probably should have just thrown the ball out of bounds in the direction of I think it was Henry running towards the endzone. That is on him. But the play breakdown itself looks to be on blocking the rushers.

I've looked at it multiple times and there isn't a receiver looking back for the ball before the defenders were already on top of Jones.
Our receivers run out to look for daisies and butterflies. Our tackles hit the deck. And our QB runs backward like he’s Forrest Gump being chased by bullies. All orchestrated by Matt, a dear friend of our beloved coach.

Doesn't look like a screen-type play design, because Brown was trying to block him the whole time.

Reactions: Ian
Doesn't look like a screen-type play design, because Brown was trying to block him the whole time.

Agreed. Mac is too deep trying to avoid the free runner. Stevenson does not chip or turn around. Mac backpedaled to buy time. I assume Stevenson blew it. It was not Trent Brown like @State said. Maybe Henry was suppose to turn around. Leaving a free runner that close to goal line means it is a quick release.

Reactions: Ian
Agreed. Mac is too deep trying to avoid the free runner. Stevenson does not chip or turn around. Mac backpedaled to buy time. I assume Stevenson blew it. It was not Trent Brown like @State said. Maybe Henry was suppose to turn around. Leaving a free runner that close to goal line means it is a quick release.

Brown blew it too.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back