PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

The reason we’re here is Belichick’s frankly lackadaisical approach in the off-season.

Fine, can no longer afford the versatile Karras. That’s a guy who can come in and play center and we don’t miss a beat.

But this friends and family thing is causing problems. Ferentz is obviously not a long term solution at replacing anyone on the line.

There were plenty of veterans to bring in. They brought in a great candidate in Ryan Bates with the Bills. A reserve who in the past can come in and out play a starter. Just ask Bills fans.

We never made an offer. That’s very questionable. The Bears did but Buffalo matched with the restricted free agent.

And having Trent Brown as LT. Another questionable choice. He looks to be a RT from here on out.

But we traded our backup LT in Herron.

The ugliness is ugliest in the OL room.

OMG, another week with 3 OL not practicing? I'm hoping it's just extra rest for Brown/Onwenu - I didn't think they had any injury last week? Wynn is no savior, but still experienced backup when we need him (and plays well in stretches).
According to multiple reports, there is a "bug" going around in the locker room and players were seen wearing masks yesterday in the locker room. Hopefully, because it's a Monday game, they'll be healthy enough to play.

Well, Ferentz is getting a lot of reps with the starters. Not sure who is filling in at RG.

Anyone know the status of Hines and Cannon?

We are in a parlous state with our OL, which is killing off what little offense we have. You can see it in the play calling.

That list better be cleaned-up before their flight leaves; otherwise we'll be hard-pressed to score Any points, and Rham Tough will be hospitalized for heat exhaustion or over-use...

The reason we’re here is Belichick’s frankly lackadaisical approach in the off-season.

Fine, can no longer afford the versatile Karras. That’s a guy who can come in and play center and we don’t miss a beat.

But this friends and family thing is causing problems. Ferentz is obviously not a long term solution at replacing anyone on the line.

There were plenty of veterans to bring in. They brought in a great candidate in Ryan Bates with the Bills. A reserve who in the past can come in and out play a starter. Just ask Bills fans.

We never made an offer. That’s very questionable. The Bears did but Buffalo matched with the restricted free agent.

And having Trent Brown as LT. Another questionable choice. He looks to be a RT from here on out.

But we traded our backup LT in Herron.

The ugliness is ugliest in the OL room.
1) BACKUP CENTER (OK)
Belichick has no issues with Ferentz at backup center. That is an issue for the board, not Belichick.
2) FUTURE CENTER (OK)
For Belichick, this may be a bit early. He is fine with Andrews and Ferentz. HOWEVER, he brought in Russey, who folks were very happy with as a future potential backup or starters.
3) GUARDS (NEEDED A VET BACKUP)
Belichick plan was a high pick for LG and Onwenu at RG, and Hines for the future (and perhaps even Murray).
This was a fine plan. We lacked a veteran backup OG for 2022. Surely, Strange and Onwenu could miss a game or two, or need some time to develop)
4) TACKLE (THE COACHING DEBACLE AND THE REFUSAL to TRADE FOR A BACKUP
Before the coaching debacle, we though that we had Wynn at LT, Brown at RT, Heron as the LT backup, and Cajuste as the RT backup. This is Ok as a 4 man OT corps. However, many of us BEGGED for an upgrade or at least a veteran swing OT. But the plan wasn't terrible. Apparently, Cannon was an option for an upgrade, which was fine. This was an OK set of OT's for 2022, but not for the future.

And then Belichick blew it all up by bringing in Patricia, letting him develop the Offense and change the OL and OL system to match the rocket scientist's dream for a new Offense.

a) A below average (but serviceable LT and backup LG) was moved to a new position where his was horrible, especially without training.
b) An average (or a bit better) RT was moved to LT for no particular reason.
c) With this AWESOME new combo, no additional OT's were apparently needed now. Heron and Cajuste or Bust? When the team tired of Heron, they replaced him with a RT, leaving no backup LT.
===================================
BELICHICK'S LACKADAISICAL APPROACH
1) How can it be right to bring in Patricia to re-tool the Offense
2) AND not hire an OL coach to take on those responsibilities?
3) How is it right to have the fewest number of coaches in the NFL, especially with a team in transition?
4) How can it be right to refuse to bring in a veteran backup OG. Who was the backup OG? Was it really Ferentz?
5) How can it be right not to bring in a veteran backup OT to compete with Heron and Cajuste?
Sure, this might have required a bit of cap money, which is easily gotten as was demonstrated so many times.
Sure, this might have required a draft choice or two; but we do this all the time.
==============================
BOTTOM LINE
The team is better than many expected.
As many others expected, the Offense would take a long time to develop, but we would have a chance at the playoffs at the end.
So, here we are. Perhaps, we are strong enough to succeed in a run for the playoffs, maybe not. Even 3-2 gives us a shot.

HOWEVER, perhaps we should poll. How many of us think that we would have one or more wins if we had an OL coach, didn't switch the OT's and had a veteran backup OL available (at least after the trade deadline)?

IMO, THIS IS NOT SECOND GUESSING OR HINDSIGHT ANALYSIS. The result was easily seen by all but Belichick and Patricia, and perhaps a few fans.

OMG, another week with 3 OL not practicing? I'm hoping it's just extra rest for Brown/Onwenu - I didn't think they had any injury last week? Wynn is no savior, but still experienced backup when we need him (and plays well in stretches).
Still the most disappointing part of Patricia - he took over OL, and EVERYONE has seriously regressed.

I sure hope Meyers can return healthy. Did he officially get diagnosed with a concussion? If so, he may not play this week, and that would suck!
x100

I have a question for @ashley. You've posted more than once that the team is high on Hines; my question is if that opinion is sourced? Or, to ask it a different way, do patsfan.com moderators - @Ian, @Ross12 and you - have access to sources of information that us mere mortals don't?

I have a question for @ashley. You've posted more than once that the team is high on Hines; my question is if that opinion is sourced? Or, to ask it a different way, do patsfan.com moderators - @Ian, @Ross12 and you - have access to sources of information that us mere mortals don't?
I think that's based on a few things that were said/written in the preseason. Obviously, he got shelved for this year, but it's possible he could give them some help next year. Same potentially for Stueber.

Hi Brandon, just being a moderator, doesn't give any of us sources of information that anyone else wouldn't have access to. @Ross12 or @Ian may have built specific relationships with members of the media or players of the Patriots that could potentially give them information that regular fans aren't privy to. I have built some friendly relationships with people that are close to the Pats.

Speaking personally, I have absolutely zero connections whatsoever.

I think a slimmed down Hines, as a multiple year SEC starter, has the ability to come in and start. If we had Cole Popovich back or a legitimate coach for the OL group.

Ashley has mentioned glowing reports of him in training camp.

Ferentz and Bill Murray and the Duluth pizza maker—Quinnen Williams says Hi.

That ain’t gonna get er done against top flight interior D linemen.

It’s almost time to pray for a Christmas miracle in the desert against Arizona and LV.

Does anyone know if the team is just going to stay out West between the two desert games?

Get well, Cannon and Brown!

Someone on this board reported that Hines for LSU had a big time weight problem. Very similar to Onwenu at Michigan. A multitude year starter who performed at a high level.

This guy has a friend who is a huge LSU fan. He reports Hines can play at the next level. If he can keep his weight down.

So Patricia or Yates may have to make sure his diet is healthy.

Last edited:
I am always and will always be a Dante Scar fan but I hope it wasn't lost on anyone that Brady got the ball out quick and made the OL look great throughout his time here.

2019 was an outlier because I don't think anyone has ever looked worse on any OL in football history than Marshall Newhouse. That being said, we had a lot of unheralded OL who looked great in New England, but who were underwhelming elsewhere

And then Belichick blew it all up by bringing in Patricia, letting him develop the Offense and change the OL and OL system to match the rocket scientist's dream for a new Offense.
==============================
HOWEVER, perhaps we should poll. How many of us think that we would have one or more wins if we had an OL coach, didn't switch the OT's and had a veteran backup OL available (at least after the trade deadline)?

I think that's based on a few things that were said/written in the preseason. Obviously, he got shelved for this year, but it's possible he could give them some help next year. Same potentially for Stueber.

Hi Brandon, just being a moderator, doesn't give any of us sources of information that anyone else wouldn't have access to. @Ross12 or @Ian may have built specific relationships with members of the media or players of the Patriots that could potentially give them information that regular fans aren't privy to. I have built some friendly relationships with people that are close to the Pats.

Speaking personally, I have absolutely zero connections whatsoever.

Coming out of training camp, the Pats put Hines on the 53. That means they felt better about him than a lot of other options. They were concerned about losing Hines which means he is someone they want to keep. Nothing secret about that. The Pats put the best players on the 53, and Hines was on the 53 as a rookie, therefore the Pats think highly of Hines. Not too complicated. I have no inside info. The 53:

1670468460502.png

Coming out of training camp, the Pats put Hines on the 53. That means they felt better about him than a lot of other options. They were concerned about losing Hines which means he is someone they want to keep. Nothing secret about that. The Pats put the best players on the 53, and Hines was on the 53 as a rookie, therefore the Pats think highly of Hines. Not too complicated. I have no inside info. The 53:

View attachment 48040
So, am I to understand that you think that it was a good idea to have two new OG's and a rookie as the only backup at OG and OC?

Belichick could have had a veteran backup OG on the 53, especially since 8 OL's are active in every game.

View attachment 48040
Yeah, it was pretty straightforward. I just wanted to answer the part about our connections from a personal integrity standpoint.

Yeah, it was pretty straightforward. I just wanted to answer the part about our connections from a personal integrity standpoint.

Having inside sources is not personal integrity.

So, am I to understand that you think that it was a good idea to have two new OG's and a rookie as the only backup at OG?

No. Never said that.

Having inside sources is not personal integrity.
It is to him. It was alluded:

"@Ross12 or @Ian may have built specific relationships with members of the media or players of the Patriots that could potentially give them information that regular fans aren't privy to."

He wanted to clarify that was not the case. I appreciate that @Ross12

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back