PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 OL

I'm not sure that this makes or breaks a season but how is it that when our tackles go down, our only recourse is to out of work lying on the couch cheetos eating has beens?

We had Marshall Newhouse in 2019 and now Conor McDermott.

It's just odd to me that we have no one on the practice squad ready to go, instead we rely on guys who were doing nothing to jump right in and play NFL football.

I'm not sure that this makes or breaks a season but how is it that when our tackles go down, our only recourse is to out of work lying on the couch cheetos eating has beens?

We had Marshall Newhouse in 2019 and now Conor McDermott.

It's just odd to me that we have no one on the practice squad ready to go, instead we rely on guys who were doing nothing to jump right in and play NFL football.

At least McDermott was on a practice squad this season... I know it was the JeteStank PS, but still...

It's less-than-useless wastes of Time And Space like the Comedian, the Pizza-Maker & the failed college TE that really, Really piss me off.

At least McDermott was on a practice squad this season... I know it was the JeteStank PS, but still...

It's less-than-useless wastes of Time And Space like the Comedian, the Pizza-Maker & the failed college TE that really, Really piss me off.
What are your thoughts on the O-line next year? We obviously have to draft an OT very high.....Do you want Trent back and if you do, move him to his better position of RT? Interesting to see if Steuber is better than Cajuste as a swing tackle. Also, with Hines, where do you see him playing, I know the Pats love his physicality and abilty to run block, but can he stay healthy? Would also love to get an upgrade for Andrews.

Questionable off-season moves, not enough depth and horrendous play by the OL is killing this team.
To be clear, I was fine moving on from Mason because Onwenu can really play nowhere else.

I was also fine not signing Karras because frankly, I never thought Karras could play, he's extremely limited.

I have always been a Cole Strange doubter but that's irrelevant since we never had a LG anyway.

If anything, I would've drafted MORE OL and tackles instead of Harris or Pierre Strong, indeed instead of Zappe as well!

What are your thoughts on the O-line next year? We obviously have to draft an OT very high.....Do you want Trent back and if you do, move him to his better position of RT? Interesting to see if Steuber is better than Cajuste as a swing tackle. Also, with Hines, where do you see him playing, I know the Pats love his physicality and abilty to run block, but can he stay healthy? Would also love to get an upgrade for Andrews.
Yes, yes, yes, yes. LOL. I mean, we do need a lot of them. Can't get them in free agency. So you have to draft them. What a mess.

What are your thoughts on the O-line next year? We obviously have to draft an OT very high.....
Extremely high, top 100 for sure if not the 1st round itself... and it's gotta be a Left Tackle.

Do you want Trent back and if you do, move him to his better position of RT?
He's Without A Doubt a RT-Only now, and we hold the salary-cap cards on him next season, so we should Demand he take another pay cut or we'll simply throw his lousy ass out and actually SAVE money in the process.

Interesting to see if Steuber is better than Cajuste as a swing tackle.
Stubby ****ing Sucks. Period. Absolutely ****ing Sucks. NEVER should've been even drafted in the First Place. He's Less Than Nothing to me.

Also, with Hines, where do you see him playing, I know the Pats love his physicality and abilty to run block, but can he stay healthy?
Very disappointed that he wasn't given Any(?) snaps at Center during TC or pre-season whenever he was rolled off the sick bed... If he isn't capable of at least Backup-quality work there, then he's just a Camp Body, no more.

Would also love to get an upgrade for Andrews.

They've had opportunities in the past - Connor McGovern in 2019, Tyler Badass in 2020, Quinn Meinerz in 2021, Zachary Tom this year - but Billy flatly REFUSES to consider ANYONE other than the punk-ass b!tch Thanksdad.

I've been a Trent supporter. When healthy and motivated he is very good. It seems this year he may not be either. Reluctantly, I expect that we have to replace him. Just can't count on him anymore. Steuber hasn't even seen the field so we should not have any expectations until that happens. At this point all of them except Strange, Andrews and Onwenu are physical unknowns. I think we need a grumpy, nasty O-line coach.
I think the whole team needs a shot of nasty. We need a few Brian Cox types.

Extremely high, top 100 for sure if not the 1st round itself... and it's gotta be a Left Tackle.

He's Without A Doubt a RT-Only now, and we hold the salary-cap cards on him next season, so we should Demand he take another pay cut or we'll simply throw his lousy ass out and actually SAVE money in the process.

Stubby ****ing Sucks. Period. Absolutely ****ing Sucks. NEVER should've been even drafted in the First Place. He's Less Than Nothing to me.

Very disappointed that he wasn't given Any(?) snaps at Center during TC or pre-season whenever he was rolled off the sick bed... If he isn't capable of at least Backup-quality work there, then he's just a Camp Body, no more.

They've had opportunities in the past - Connor McGovern in 2019, Tyler Badass in 2020, Quinn Meinerz in 2021, Zachary Tom this year - but Billy flatly REFUSES to consider ANYONE other than the punk-ass b!tch Thanksdad.

As of right now, this is a bad O-line.
O-line doesn’t seem improved from last year.
Jimmy Fallon Comedy GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

We should draft multiple OT, preferably one in the first two rounds. Id also like them to add a long term center replacement for Andrew’s who probably doesn’t have much time left. I do think a coaching can improve the unit though. Mac drops seem deeper this season than last season, if he was a yard further up field (either by taking a shorter drop or immediately climbing the pocket at the end of his drop) when the edge rush came they would run by him. It seems like early on Mac got scared of the pressure and refused to climb the pocket like he did last year.

I have trouble not placing at least some of the blame on the coaching staff for the poor line play and I’m hopeful that, that coaching will improve next year along with better personnel.

My $0.02:

1. Top priority is to redo the entire offensive coaching staff led by a coordinator with actual leadership skills and a stellar track record in developing talent. Kick Patricia back to the Ernie Adams role and hand Judge a glowing reference letter for his job hunt.

2. Let Wynn retire as he seems to not want to actually play football anymore. They don’t need his crap attitude around to infect anyone on the team so I would hand him his bus ticket and apple today.

3. IMHO the two rookies who have the best potential to be good are Strange and Hines. Both are in dire need for major improvements in strength and conditioning. This has to start for both of them as soon as possible after the season and in Hines’ case even sooner. The only other young OL who I think is worth keeping for next season is Russey. They cannot go into 2023 with Ferentz as the OC2, he just isn’t capable of winning his matchups at the NFL level on a more than 50% rate which has to be the threshold for keeping anyone on your roster.

4. Sign a veteran tackle in free agency who is capable of starting for the next two seasons. Elgton Jenkins from Green Bay is an example of whom I’d like them to consider, as opposed to Orlando Brown who will cost a lot more money wherever he winds up. Previously I thought this move should be specifically a RT but it’s apparent that Brown cannot be counted on while a rookie is developing. Make Brown your OT3 while a rookie is being groomed to become LT1 in 2024. Other than that I’d save the cap money they will have for a player of Judon’s caliber who can make an immediate impact. Roquan Smith or Daron Payne are two examples.

4. Draft the future LT1 in the 1st or 2nd round. The emphasis should be on athleticism and matching skills-wise with Strange, or whatever the new OC and OL coach think is the best sign setup for the future. I personally like Parris Johnson from OSU or Jaelyn Duncan from Maryland for this role. I do not offer any particular skill or knowledge when it comes to this type of assessment, it’s strictly based on trying to focus on certain guys while I watch college ball in TV. Those two guys have stood out for me in terms of playing quick and winning at a high rate in the very limited time I’ve spent watching them. I would not want the Pats to spend more than one of their first three picks in an OT. I feel they must add someone who can br a CB1 and another who can replace “Oops” Agholor with the other two of those picks.

5. Draft the future OC1 in the middle rounds, unless Russey is clearly the guy, and an OT4 with actual athleticism later. I like the kid at Michigan a lot and also the one at Notre Dame but they may be more likely to go earlier than I’d like to see the Pats go for this position.

Last edited:
Draft the future LT1 in the 1st or 2nd round
The Syracuse kid works for me. Bergeron. And then bring in Jack Conklin as a free agent from the Cleveland Browns to man RT.

Trent Brown can stay to compete.

Get a center a la Dave Wohlabaugh in a mid round.

Perhaps most important: Get a d-mned experienced, respected coach to get them playing better.

Pulling a name out of a hat, I get Greg Adkins from the University of South Carolina. Cole Popovich is still my top choice. He’s been successful at New England and now Troy University. But he chose to remain in control of what he puts into his body and refrained from getting the experimental Covid jab. He had to go.

Last edited:
I honestly don't care where we draft our tackles in the first 4 rounds. Some teams are hugely disappointed by the tackles they drafted in the top 20 picks. Other teams like the Chargers are very happy they took Jamaree Salyer in the 4th round. He's not the only rookie tackle performing well who wasn't in the 1st round.

I would just draft them anywhere, at least 2 of them, preferably 3.

Hoping one is at least a starter and the other 2 are more capable backups.

Since Andrews has come back from his injury, his play hasn’t been as solid as it once was. In the video below he is too preoccupied babysitting the rookie left guard to help out on Onwenu’s paltry effort.

Even Onwenu, the best player on the line, has seen his performance become spotty at times.

Mediocrity must be contagious. Especially when Patricia is in charge of you.

The o line is a mess right now. Hopefully Trent Brown can play better in Arizona. RT is a mystery to me.

Any news on Wynn?

Well, Ferentz is getting a lot of reps with the starters. Not sure who is filling in at RG.

Anyone know the status of Hines and Cannon?

We are in a parlous state with our OL, which is killing off what little offense we have. You can see it in the play calling.

Well, Ferentz is getting a lot of reps with the starters. Not sure who is filling in at RG.

Anyone know the status of Hines and Cannon?

We are in a parlous state with our OL, which is killing off what little offense we have. You can see it in the play calling.

You are right, our OL is the main issue imo right now. Getting either HInes or Cannon back would significantly help, especially if Onwenu's illness is going to keep him out on Monday. Both are now able to come off IR, but we haven't seen nor heard anything about them in weeks.

OMG, another week with 3 OL not practicing? I'm hoping it's just extra rest for Brown/Onwenu - I didn't think they had any injury last week? Wynn is no savior, but still experienced backup when we need him (and plays well in stretches).
Still the most disappointing part of Patricia - he took over OL, and EVERYONE has seriously regressed.

I sure hope Meyers can return healthy. Did he officially get diagnosed with a concussion? If so, he may not play this week, and that would suck!

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back