PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Offensive Line discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you suggesting that he be inactive? Even if he isn't a starter, I would expect Brown to be the Game Day backup at RT and LT. If he can't do that, we might as well have Waddle or Tobin in that role.

No. Our starters are Wynn, thuney, Andrews, mason and cannon. Reserves are waddle, brown and karras.

When cannon goes on ir, we slide in brown.

A couple of comments on the comments:

1. The first thing that came to mind as I read this thread, is that for the first time in a while the competition at ALL positions along the OL is going to be fierce this TC. And that can be said for a LOT of areas this year. Among the DBs, WR's and LB's I think the competition for jobs will be equally strong.

2. For some reason, I've been wanting to "upgrade" from David Andrews for the last 2 years. I say for "some reason" because it's not like he's proven to be a liability in the interior. Far from it. He has been dependable, solid, effective and many other adjectives along those lines. BUT, I wouldn't mind having the words "dominant and powerful" linked to our starting C, so when I saw the post that offered some possible OL options, I kind of liked the ones that had Thuney and Mason as possible C's.

3. Like I said earlier this will be a VERY interesting TC and we WILL spend hours talking about potential OL, WR. and DB personnel packages for all of the summer and beyond. But the fact remains, that high-level competition is nothing but good news for this team.

1. The first thing that came to mind as I read this thread, is that for the first time in a while the competition at ALL positions along the OL is going to be fierce this TC. And that can be said for a LOT of areas this year. Among the DBs, WR's and LB's I think the competition for jobs will be equally strong.

2. For some reason, I've been wanting to "upgrade" from David Andrews for the last 2 years. I say for "some reason" because it's not like he's proven to be a liability in the interior. Far from it. He has been dependable, solid, effective and many other adjectives along those lines. BUT, I wouldn't mind having the words "dominant and powerful" linked to our starting C, so when I saw the post that offered some possible OL options, I kind of liked the ones that had Thuney and Mason as possible C's.

3. Like I said earlier this will be a VERY interesting TC and we WILL spend hours talking about potential OL, WR. and DB personnel packages for all of the summer and beyond. But the fact remains, that high-level competition is nothing but good news for this team.

Now you have to do your entire post over again, with the Garcia release. ;)

Garcia cut.

The Sports hub had some quotes from Scar too. Basically Scar indicated Cannon likely to stay on the right. And Brown and Wynn will battle for LT. With Thunney out Wynn will get some reps at guard too.

Brings the OL depth into shape.

That's kinda how I was coming at it.

I really like Andrews & I'm not about shipping him out but if there was an upgrade that made sense, why not?

Mason would be my 1st choice. Loved him at GT. Not only bc of the type of player he is but it's great to have a walking example of how the OL in general should be played.

I think a line of Wynn at LT, Mason in the middle & Cannon at RT could be pretty special. All 3 guys at their best are nasty throwback types.

Two tackles in Wynn & Cannon at are always balanced,play smart & versatile. And a bulldog in Mason at C.

Will be fun to watch

Interesting if Mason can play center. Does Brown sit on the bench, however?

Wynn-Thuney-Mason-Cannon-Brown
?

If Brown really is a top10 pass blocking tackle, interesting if he doesn't even make the starting 5 in some people's lineups....

I'd like to see them with a couple more warm bodies at the tackle position
to carry them until Brown, Cannon, and Wynn are able to play.

I'd like to see them with a couple more warm bodies at the tackle position
to carry them until Brown, Cannon, and Wynn are able to play.
Waddle and Tobin are signed.

Captain Stone's posting about Garcia is going to be "must read".
As I wrote in another thread, it sucks to lose an asset, no matter its value, for absolutely nothing.

I also wrote of my hope that Boney Tony could win the starting LT job while Wynn adjusts to the pros as our Left-side backup, thus leaving Brown as our Swing Tackle, Waddle our Right-side backup and Karras our C/G backup.

So now, not only have we lost a top candidate to replace Solder as Brady's blind-side protector, but we have also lost the remaining value of last year's 3rd-round pick, used as part of the trade-up for Garcia in the first place.

Of course, if Little Billy Napoleon had done the Smart thing, for once, then he would've told Nawlins to Feck Off when they came seeking to dump the Lost Little Cookie. We therefore could've kept our 1st-rounder (plus the 3rd-round comp from Cleveland acquired in the risky Jamie Collins trade) and instead used it to draft our Real LT of the Future, Ryan Ramczyk.

As I wrote in another thread, it sucks to lose an asset, no matter its value, for absolutely nothing.

I also wrote of my hope that Boney Tony could win the starting LT job while Wynn adjusts to the pros as our Left-side backup, thus leaving Brown as our Swing Tackle, Waddle our Right-side backup and Karras our C/G backup.

So now, not only have we lost a top candidate to replace Solder as Brady's blind-side protector, but we have also lost the remaining value of last year's 3rd-round pick, used as part of the trade-up for Garcia in the first place.

Of course, if Little Billy Napoleon had done the Smart thing, for once, then he would've told Nawlins to Feck Off when they came seeking to dump the Lost Little Cookie. We therefore could've kept our 1st-rounder (plus the 3rd-round comp from Cleveland acquired in the risky Jamie Collins trade) and instead used it to draft our Real LT of the Future, Ryan Ramczyk.

You can't dismiss that Little Billy :)D) got basically their 1st and 3rd round value back when they traded "lost little Cookie" :)D) for the 23rd overall pick. So you should say it was a Wynn Wynn trade. Let's see how it plays out. I do like what they've done though which is to focus on the Oline. Not what I thought they would do but definitely am interested to seeing Tom Brady possibly getting more time to make plays.

Many would argue this is stronger than last year.

LT Wynn, Brown, (Tobin), (Jelks), (Ulrich)
RT Cannon, Waddle
C Andrews, Karras, (Ferenz)
OG Thuney, Mason, Croston, (Bowanko)

RT Cannon, Waddle
I wouldn't.

RT Cannon, Waddle

As of now, and according to what we can take from Scar's comments:

Cannon is Cannon
Mason is Mason
Andrews is Andrews
Thuney is Thuney
Brown/Wynn is the Solder replacement.

The significant difference between last year and this year is an apparent disappointment who was shipped out by his team and may have to flip OT positions, and a draft pick, one of whom will be replacing Nate Solder, who was an above average LT. Nobody of any reasonable mind should already be arguing that this is stronger than last year.

Last edited:
As of now, and according to what we can take from Scar's comments:

Cannon is Cannon
Mason is Mason
Andrews is Andrews
Thuney is Thuney
Brown/Wynn is the Solder replacement.

The significant difference between last year and this year is a disappointment who was shipped out by his team, and a draft pick, one of whom will be replacing Nate Solder, who was an above average LT. Nobody of any reasonable mind should already be arguing that this is stronger than last year.

Your post reminds me of the time when a hot lady was giving me the eye and my buddy leans over a says "dude, that's a man".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back