PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Offensive Line discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
With the drafting of Wynn and trade for Trent Brown, interesting to see what the Patriots have to start at O-line for 2018.

1. Very high confidence, with Dante, that the line will be OK to protect 41 year old Tom Brady
2. Wynn is short but very agile, has played LT and LG. Brown is massive (Sebastian Vollmer size), rated as a top10 pass blocker at RT but a very mediocre run blocker
3. Internal considerations - Thuney is mediocre/weak and also where does Marcus Cannon play when he returns, might he be able to go from RT to LT?
4. Mason is a strong run blocker and will be a FA after this year.

There are a number of ways this lineup could look. For me the question is does Thuney stay? I don't think so. Can Cannon play LT ? Possibly.

Some possibilities:
Wynn, Cannon, Andrews, Mason, Brown
Cannon, Wynn, Andrews, Mason, Brown
Brown, Wynn, Andrews, Mason, Cannon

Last edited:
Yes thanks 2018 :)

OK so if a core assumption is Cannon stays at tackle, then is it a sure thing Wynn plays guard ? Brown can't play guard and the Pats didn't trade for him to be a backup. Early reports suggest Wynn is a rare kid who could play great LT despite being short

Yes thanks 2018 :)

OK so if a core assumption is Cannon stays at tackle, then is it a sure thing Wynn plays guard ? Brown can't play guard and the Pats didn't trade for him to be a backup. Early reports suggest Wynn is a rare kid who could play great LT despite being short
Cannon is a starting tackle either right or left. I think he'll end up our starting LT. But my real reason for responding is because I feel the Brown trade was done to be sure we have at least 3 if not 4 starting caliber tackles. So it sort of is about back up/depth. Brown has a good chance to start though too just now we have choices and depth and it's just a matter of finding the right combo/5 guys.

My early guess is:
LT Cannon
LG Thuney
C Andrews
RG Mason
RT Brown

If Wynn comes in ready to start day 1 things get interesting and reports are he is very pro ready. He could possibly start at LT, LG, or RT and depending where he starts other guys could shift too (depending on their own versatility).

If I assume versatility out of the right guys and I assume Wynn is starting I think this could be our best combo.
LT Cannon
LG Wynn
C Thuney
RG Mason
RT Brown
I struggle with who would be the better center Andrews obviously is the man but I like Thuneys size better and I feel sometimes Andrews gets over powered. I know Andrews grades out well but if Thuney could transition to C I think this could be our best 5.

Agree
So then if we see Wynn starting at LT then the kid must be really really good to supplant Cannon

I did I miss mention of Garci-?

Yes Brown as strong pass protector and mediocre run blocker does work best at LT

And, if they can play him there, they can start off with

Brown
Thuney
Andrews
Mason
Cannon

with Waddle as OT3, and Karras as either the IOL4 or the OC2.

That lets the rest of the OLs battle for position from there.

Brown was signed for a 1 round trade down. IMHO, he is NOT a lock to start. My options all include Thuney, Andrews and Mason as our 2018 IOL's. They have done fine together over the past 2 years

OPTIONS
Wynn-Cannon with Brown as the swing OT
Brown-Cannon with Wynn as the swing OT
Cannon-Brown with Wynn as the swing OT

THE WILDCARD
a trade of Mason late in camp or after the season starts

You'd leave Wynn on the bench ??

I'm just slotting out of the gate. They'd start off with last year's theoretical starting lineup, but with Brown in for Solder. Players can rise or fall on their own from there. As of this moment, I expect Wynn to compete for game snaps at either OT or LG. Before the Brown trade, I had Wynn penciled in as the starting LT.

If Brown can make the shift to LT, everything clicks into place pretty easily.
Obviously I've been on the Cannon to LT train but if Brown can do it then great.

With the drafting of Wynn and trade for Trent Brown, interesting to see what the Patriots have to start at O-line for 2018.

1. Very high confidence, with Dante, that the line will be OK to protect 41 year old Tom Brady
2. Wynn is short but very agile, has played LT and LG. Brown is massive (Sebastian Vollmer size), rated as a top10 pass blocker at RT but a very mediocre run blocker
3. Internal considerations - Thuney is mediocre/weak and also where does Marcus Cannon play when he returns, might he be able to go from RT to LT?
4. Mason is a strong run blocker and will be a FA after this year.

There are a number of ways this lineup could look. For me the question is does Thuney stay? I don't think so. Can Cannon play LT ? Possibly.

Some possibilities:
Wynn, Cannon, Andrews, Mason, Brown
Cannon, Wynn, Andrews, Mason, Brown
Brown, Wynn, Andrews, Mason, Cannon

Why is Thuney mediocre?

Dante has always been high on Marcus Cannon. He may have the edge at LT if his weight is decent.

Thuney is an above average guard, no? He can play center, but there’s no way he displaces Andrews.

It reminds me of some all-star college game where Michigan’s Mason Cole, another 6’ 4” short armed guy like Thuney, was sending shotgun snaps all over the place.

Karras is our backup center.

This may be Belichick not having confidence in the Cannon/Waddle duo in holding down the Tackle positions.

Wynn is so proficient and quick footed and strong he may just win out the training camp battles.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wynn-Thuney-Andrews-Mason-Cannon as the starting five. Barring injuries of course.

I like our O-line, but I do think it can be improved. Sometimes we play great, but much of how well they play comes from being coached by Scar, and when they face a Defense that is pretty good on both coaching and overall talent (And those happens more often in the play-offs), they ALWAYS give us trouble.

I really like Thuney, but he was up and down last year. He needs to be better, he would often get pushed and was a step behind...

And there's ****ING ANDREWS. Epitome of mediocrity. I'll grant that he is smart as heck (the fact that he is a cap'n proves it), but ****ing geezus he can't v1 against anyone for more than 1s. Please upgrade him

Cannon needs to be healthy, cause he is a beast. If this year he can't play 16 games again, better think of a replacemente

Mason is really good and still has groom for improvement. Don't know how long he'll stick around tho.

Then there's the LT, and, until proven completely wrong, I just cant trust a 6'2'' guy in there. Like, i actually get nightmares of people simply swimming past him like Michael Phelps in the Olympics. However, i really like Trent Brown. I think he was pretty good when defending JG in SF

Then there's the LT, and, until proven completely wrong, I just cant trust a 6'2'' guy in there. Like, i actually get nightmares of people simply swimming past him like Michael Phelps in the Olympics. However, i really like Trent Brown. I think he was pretty good when defending JG in SF

Can you explain to me what exactly would be the difference if he were 6'4" compared to 6'2" ? And please make it not a one liner but a short explanation what it is that gives you nightmares about those 2 inches difference.

I am honestly curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back