PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Minicamp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure they are really happy with him, I mean he seems to be a very nice guy but can he get a first down on a 3rd and 10?

Draft stock is sunk cost now. The situation at backup for the next few years seems undefined.
Of course they are happy with him. The had him travel with the team while on IR, activated him back for no reason other than keeping him involved and assigned him to watch out for Floyd.

Draft stock indicates what they thought of him when they drafted him.
You are asking them to draft a 3rd rounder, you know because they think that is what he was worth, be happy with him, and trade him for a 4th or 5th.
If they were going to do that they wouldn't have drafted him in the 3rd.

And he will need to be the backup in 2018

Agreed, and while anyone calling for Brady to step aside while he's still playing at a high level is crazy, let's not go overboard on the Garoppolo is soft talk. At least not yet. It's a mini camp practice in June. He may/may not have been able to play in a real game, or he may have toughed it out just to be on the field today.

We've had the same exact arguments about guys like Edelman and Amendola being soft/made of glass (with a much larger sample size of extensive injuries), and they've been huge in many key moments which contributed to two more SB runs. Sometimes, injuries just happen.
It's ok for a WR4 to be made of glass but have a knack for making big plays in big games but not a QB.

not saying jimmy is made of glass but the worry meter isn't on zero.

You can't restrain yourself?

Well you know how it is right? You expose yourself to 1 tiny room full of nuns and suddenly everyone wants to bring up those times you exposed yourself at the senior center bingo hall for women and the annual antique convention of Boston again.

I just wish you could do something 1 or 2 dozen times without getting a "label" on you know you? :p

Last edited:
To get back on topic though I have been happy with the camp so far. Cyrus Jones is a mixed bag but we will see. On the whole I think he will not work out though at this point. Foster will make an interesting push but with what i am hearing with Lewis and his performance, Foster will be hard to find a spot for. Gilmore has competed well with good WRs and Brady/Cooks sounds like they are on target to be in sync week 1 (I figured they would be in sync at some point early but it looks like it is coming along very quickly).

For lesser known player Langi showing why he is the highest paid UDFA. I like what I am hearing and he fits the size the Pats like in their LBs. 255 LBs. 6'1. He seems pretty athletic for his size and has good quickness and power but on his highlights I think he overran a lot of things and didn't always play under control and had some questionable contact down field though if asked to pop a guy inside the 5 he could be very effective there (those were 2015 highlights though).

-- Most of the special teams work the media has been privy to thus far has been centered on the punting game. On Tuesday that changed to the kickoff team. While the drill seemed to focus on coverage, it did offer a look at the returners. During the first round the returners included White, Will Likely, Andrew Hawkins and David Jones. Later during the second set of reps James White, Dion Lewis, DeAndrew White, Cyrus Jones and Danny Amendola took reps. Jones dropped his first attempt and drew the ire of running backs coach Ivan Fears.

Which Jones?

Of course they are happy with him. The had him travel with the team while on IR, activated him back for no reason other than keeping him involved and assigned him to watch out for Floyd.

Draft stock indicates what they thought of him when they drafted him.
You are asking them to draft a 3rd rounder, you know because they think that is what he was worth, be happy with him, and trade him for a 4th or 5th.
If they were going to do that they wouldn't have drafted him in the 3rd.

And he will need to be the backup in 2018

You present fair points and I like him but what he did show in 2016 is less than what Mallet and Jimmy both showed in their rookie season. I know, Brissett won an actual NFL game way before the other 2 (in their respective careers) and it was a week 3 game, not week 17, but the way that game unfolded we would've won with Matt Patricia playing QB. It will take time to upgrade his mechanics to NFL QB level. The level of excellence Belichick demands for his players is not OK with waiting too long for that just because he is a nice guy.

With that said we get to the bold part, I think they activated him mainly because they wanted to give him as many reps as possible to speed up this process of assessing what they have him in because of the many tough decisions they have coming at QB. So they wanted to give him those reps still in year 1 instead of waiting until now, and also because there was no one worth using the DTR tag.

The guy is tough and that's an important part in playing QB but it doesn't matter if he can't pass. I don't want to see him trade but it's the offseason and we are speculating, I don't doubt anything coming from BB.

and also because there was no one worth using the DTR tag.

It also implies based on cost, talent, etc., they couldn't see a clearly better use for the roster spot, either. I'm sure that, for example, if an upgrade to Lengel came on the scene, the Pats almost certainly would have signed that player instead.

You present fair points and I like him but what he did show in 2016 is less than what Mallet and Jimmy both showed in their rookie season.
Huh? All they did was hold a clipboard. Brisset actually played football.

I know, Brissett won an actual NFL game way before the other 2 (in their respective careers) and it was a week 3 game, not week 17, but the way that game unfolded we would've won with Matt Patricia playing QB. It will take time to upgrade his mechanics to NFL QB level. The level of excellence Belichick demands for his players is not OK with waiting too long for that just because he is a nice guy.
Being a nice guy has little to do with it.
I'm not sure what you think jimmy did as a rookie.

With that said we get to the bold part, I think they activated him mainly because they wanted to give him as many reps as possible to speed up this process of assessing what they have him in because of the many tough decisions they have coming at QB. So they wanted to give him those reps still in year 1 instead of waiting until now, and also because there was no one worth using the DTR tag.
They don't have to use the tag. They could have left him on IR WHILE ON A SB RUN and added a player so it's not a meaningless afterthought.

The guy is tough and that's an important part in playing QB but it doesn't matter if he can't pass. I don't want to see him trade but it's the offseason and we are speculating, I don't doubt anything coming from BB.
If he couldn't throw he wouldn't have been drafted in the first place.
The guy was given a SB team and a limited playbook because he was a green rookie. That's not a slam in his ability to throw the ball.

You present fair points and I like him but what he did show in 2016 is less than what Mallet and Jimmy both showed in their rookie season

I disagree with your entire statement because Jacoby actually played in 1.5 REAL NFL games while JG only appeared in irrelevant preseason games against second/third string defenses but what I absolutely don't get is what Mallet showed to you. He never showed anything but his arm strength when we got to see him.

Finally -- and I have to repeat this again and again -- our only window into JB is what we see in the preseason and those 1.5 games he played last season while the coaches spend time daily with him. I'd rather read the tea leaves of them using up the IR spot on him. keeping him around the team and speak consistently highly of him than what he did or didn't do in those 6 quarters.

There goes Josh's favorite wasted down, the long bomb to Slater who swats away the completion as if it's a wasp attack.
Give him a break. Maybe he still includes himself in the safety grouping?

I disagree with your entire statement because Jacoby actually played in 1.5 REAL NFL games while JG only appeared in irrelevant preseason games against second/third string defenses but what I absolutely don't get is what Mallet showed to you. He never showed anything but his arm strength when we got to see him.

Finally -- and I have to repeat this again and again -- our only window into JB is what we see in the preseason and those 1.5 games he played last season while the coaches spend time daily with him. I'd rather read the tea leaves of them using up the IR spot on him. keeping him around the team and speak consistently highly of him than what he did or didn't do in those 6 quarters.
2 1/2 actually.

not saying jimmy is made of glass but the worry meter isn't on zero.
For sure.

I just don't see the hit from Alonzo being any different for most players, that's all. I don't even pay attention to a missed practice or two while riding the stationary bike in early June.

For sure.

I just don't see the hit from Alonzo being any different for most players, that's all. I don't even pay attention to a missed practice or two while riding the stationary bike in early June.
Well I'm not saying you blame him for it but in 16 years Brady was injured to the extent of missing a game just one time and jimmy was once in a game and a half. It's like saying is gronk not injury prone because he got hit hard?

Honestly i have a bad feeling about sitting out with a calf strain in June. In the big picture it may be nothing but the bar is set in NE by a guy who wont willingly miss a snap under any circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing