PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2008 Patriots Mini-Camp Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wes Welker

noticed he hasnt been practicing, did i miss a injury or surgery? anybody have any info?

Traded. Sorry.

Traded. Sorry.

I just did a google search and found nothing about a trade....Are you NEINSIDER....Do you know something we don't?

Practice? He don't need no stinking practice!

I just did a google search and found nothing about a trade....Are you NEINSIDER....Do you know something we don't?

Please. It's a message board. Don't accept jokes as gospel.

I think little W is simply tired and resting today after all his on stage performances.

I cannot neither confirm nor deny that, but it will be on PFT soon, along with the surprising release of Randy Moss. :D

Last edited:

Please. It's a message board. Don't accept jokes as gospel.

I think little W is simply tired and resting today after all his on stage performances.

I think signbabybrady got it and was running with it. He just forgot to add the ;).

Actually, I think he's been practicing his other passing skills. :D

Re: PATRIOTS MINI CAMP - starts today

http://blog.pfwonline.com/

PFW is blogging from camp if anyone is interested.

Copy-and-paste is interdicted, but this report is especially interesting:

On rollout drills, GUTIERREZ shows the best arm of all 4 ...
firing tight, fast spirals right into receivers' hands, 20-25 yards away.

Re: PATRIOTS MINI CAMP - starts today

Copy-and-paste is interdicted, but this report is especially interesting:

On rollout drills, GUTIERREZ shows the best arm of all 4 ...
firing tight, fast spirals right into receivers' hands, 20-25 yards away.

Looks like Matt Cassel's window is closing fast.

too busy to save big children too?

Boston Herald

Welker Has Small Heart for Big Children
by John Tomase

June 6th, 2008

Wes Welker, starting slot receiver for the New England Patriots, reportedly left older children in a burning building because he didn't feel he had time to save them. An unidentified team executive informed us that he overheard Welker saying "You Suck!" as he left these children to burn to death. "This is just another example to add to their cheating and player's drug related problems" exclaimed the team executive.

When asked about this issue at an Indianapolis charity event, coach Tony Dungy refused to comment directly, but did add "Our players would never leave any children to die in a burning building."

ESPN writer Greg Eaterbrook has called for a 1 year ban for Wes Welker and for Bill Belichick to be burned at the stake. ESPN will providing 24 hour coverage of this issue.

Boston Herald

by John Tomase

June 6th, 2008

Wes Welker, starting slot receiver for the New England Patriots, reportedly left older children in a burning building because he didn't feel he had time to save them. An unidentified team executive informed us that he overheard Welker saying "You Suck!" as he left these children to burn to death. "This is just another example to add to their cheating and player's drug related problems" exclaimed the team executive.

When asked about this issue at an Indianapolis charity event, coach Tony Dungy refused to comment directly, but did add "Our players would never leave any children to die in a burning building."

ESPN writer Greg Eaterbrook has called for a 1 year ban for Wes Welker and for Bill Belichick to be burned at the stake. ESPN will providing 24 hour coverage of this issue.

Arlen Specter is holding a presser at 4 p.m.

Boston Herald

by John Tomase

June 6th, 2008

Congratulations! You, sir, have won the thread.

Reiss: Bruschi scares, then has Pierce-like return

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

2) A hold-your-breath moment with Tedy Bruschi. There was silence during 11-on-11 work when linebacker Tedy Bruschi remained on the ground, apparently in pain after the play. It was difficult to tell what happened to Bruschi -- he might have gotten caught up in traffic at the line -- but it was enough to warrant the trainers coming to his aid. Bruschi gingerly walked under his own power to a makeshift sideline. It wasn't long before he returned, with teammates applauding and whistling as he made a jump-shot motion as if he were a basketball player (Paul Pierce, perhaps?). It was a situation where a potentially scary moment turned somewhat humorous.

Perhaps :rolleyes:....he was definitely making that joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Reiss: Bruschi scares than has Pierce like return

Well Bruschi had a front row seat for Paul's heroics last nite. Glad he's OK.

Just wondering, are these non-contact camps or not? PFT always seems to bring that up.

Just wondering, are these non-contact camps or not? PFT always seems to bring that up.

I believe I read somewhere these are not in pads. You always hear Reiss caution not to look to much into it as they are not in pads. I didn't specificly read it for this practice but I imagine this would be like the last minicamp.

I believe I read somewhere these are not in pads. You always hear Reiss caution not to look to much into it as they are not in pads. I didn't specificly read it for this practice but I imagine this would be like the last minicamp.

Oh I realize these are no-pad workouts, just keep hearing about no-contact workouts. Seems tough for offensive and defensive linemen to practice without contact, they're better off hitting the weights and running, or stuffing their faces with Thomase.

Oh I realize these are no-pad workouts, just keep hearing about no-contact workouts. Seems tough for offensive and defensive linemen to practice without contact, they're better off hitting the weights and running, or stuffing their faces with Thomase.

ohh I see misdiagnosed

I would imagine that it is minimal contact...prolly even alot less than the no pads training camp practices. But I bet it is hard to avoid contact altogether especially with the lines. JMO.

Last edited:
5 mini-camp observations
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
June 6, 2008 02:15 PM

FOXBOROUGH -- Here are five observations from today's mini-camp practice, which was held in shorts and jerseys (no pads):

1) Tom Brady and the long ball. If there was one play that stood out from the entire session, it came in 11-on-11 work. Quarterback Tom Brady took the snap, rolled to his right, and then set his feet to unload about a 60-yard bomb to sprinting receiver C.J. Jones in the end zone. The ball was beautifully thrown, so that it arced over defensive back Lewis Sanders in coverage and dropped into an area where Jones could make the catch. In this case, the seemingly only negative part of the play was Jones being unable to corral it. After watching the throw, and seeing Brady move his feet with ease, it seems clear that the ankle injury that nagged him in the playoffs is not an issue.

2) A hold-your-breath moment with Tedy Bruschi. There was silence during 11-on-11 work when linebacker Tedy Bruschi remained on the ground, apparently in pain after the play. It was difficult to tell what happened to Bruschi -- he might have gotten caught up in traffic at the line -- but it was enough to warrant the trainers coming to his aid. Bruschi gingerly walked under his own power to a makeshift sideline. It wasn't long before he returned, with teammates applauding and whistling as he made a jump-shot motion as if he were a basketball player (Paul Pierce, perhaps?). It was a situation where a potentially scary moment turned somewhat humorous.

3) Multiple WRs vs. multiple DBs. Much like last week's organized team activity sessions, the Patriots spent much of the practice working with multiple-receiver packages against multiple-defensive back packages. Our attention was primarily placed on the defense because that's where most of the new players are lining up. One aspect that stood out was the versatility among defenders. Is Tank Williams a defensive back or linebacker? Rodney Harrison -- linebacker or safety? Is Lewis Sanders a cornerback or safety? Is Shawn Crable playing an on-the-line linebacker role, or off-the-line? Is Brandon Merirweather in the slot in a cornerback-like role or back at safety? This will be one area to monitor in training camp, as it appears the Patriots have a lot of parts to move around, giving them a lot of options. It's early yet, but the defense could be laying the foundation to do some dynamic things when not in a base 3-4 set.

4) Offensive line shuffle. With right guard Stephen Neal and recently signed Oliver Ross (assigned jersey No. 76) not practicing, the Patriots shuffled the deck a bit. Kaczur spent the practice at Neal's spot, with third-year man Ryan O'Callaghan assuming the right tackle position. Last year, when Neal left the Super Bowl with a knee injury, the team inserted Russ Hochstein at right guard. In this case, it's probably a situation of building some more positional flexibility into the line, as Kaczur has worked at guard in practice before, just probably not extensively. Hochstein, who is best suited for either the center or guard spots, took some reps at right tackle.

5) Rodney Harrison the coach. For a player who enters the final year of his contract and has seen the Patriots sign multiple players in the defensive backfield, Rodney Harrison shows few signs of insecurity. Early in practice, after a 7-on-7 drill, he spoke with fellow safety/linebacker Tank Williams about what appeared to be a technique in coverage. At one point, Harrison put his hand on Williams' hip, almost as if he was coaching him. Later in the practice, Harrison was on the sideline, seemingly doing the same thing with veteran Lewis Sanders.

EXTRA POINTS: Nick Kaczur declined media requests to be interviewed, as did receiver Randy Moss. ... Quarterback Tom Brady is expected to address reporters at some point over the weekend. ... Head coach Bill Belichick, running back Sammy Morris, running back Laurence Maroney, safety Rodney Harrison, kicker Stephen Gostkowski and offensive tackle Matt Light were a few players who answered questions from reporters. ... As the practice neared its end, the team focused on situational work, with QB Matt Cassel handed the reins for the first trip down the field, then QB Matt Gutierrez. The defense seemed to have the upper hand.

Some notes from camp per Mike Reiss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back