PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My camp quirky observations

There was some talking head on the radio, one of the afternoon douche bags, who said that Zappe did not have a strong arm. This D-Bag must have read it somewhere instead of actually using his own eyes. Zappe was lofting these 50-60 yard moon shots to Thornton after practice, maybe to shut up the D-Bags. Even on the short passes, Zappe was firing lasers....however Mac is still my Main Man.

In the old days, the reporting was really bad. I remember watching a Patriots practice at Bryant and the reporters were socializing and and milling about and not even watching what was going on on the field; then in their daily story they would talk about contracts and injuries and parrot back press releases--i.e. they did nothing with their own eyes. These days it is better and some of the reporters actually watch practice.

Maybe I should do some reporting. I have an old Press Pass...but I could get my head twisted off by, say, Trent Brown, after calling him a giant Tuna.
There are guys on this site that say Mac has a noodle arm when he's been shown to throw darts at 70 yards, so they are playing favorites with their opinion.

There are guys on this site that say Mac has a noodle arm when he's been shown to throw darts at 70 yards, so they are playing favorites with their opinion.

Yeah, just watch Mac's 'Bama highlights and see his 50 yard bombs to Waddle! And right on target too; Waddle never has to break stride. Mac has one of the best arms in the NFL, he just needs protection, better weapons and a better offensive coach. Maybe he will get that this year, maybe not Time will tell.

Douglas needs more work than the others who are likely to make the roster.

It seems like Troy would like to count on him as our backup punt returner. With Bolden possibly being our #5 CB, the Douglas project is very important. We would like to say goodbye to both Bryant and Wade.

I really, really hope that they do not tap Demario to do punt returns. The offense desperately needs him as a WR, not as a banged up suicide squad victim. A combination of Demario, Devante, and maybe Thornton would be a respectable starting WR corps. If I was DD, I would drop every punt in practice and preseason ;^)

I hope to make it to camp again, but it seems unlikely today, alas.

For those of you going camp today, I would recommend watching the battles between Gonzo and Devante. It is a great matchup. Although I only got to watch a few times (there is so much else going on), they seem evenly matched. As I predicted after the draft, Gonzo was picked to cover the tall WRs and that is what he is doing in camp. You do not want to match Gonzo with the small, quick guys; no, he was drafted to cover the bigger WRs.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that training camp is, in some way ways, for show or maybe for the big picture coordination or for fine tuning. It seems as if most of the basic position battles had already been determined. For instance, Demario Douglas had already earned a spot with the starters by the first camp workout. Obviously, he must have been running against the CBs or at least the other WRs in private workouts before camp started.

Whether it is for show or not, Training Camp is quite entertaining for a football geek like me and, of course, for the kids, especially the lucky ones that get an autograph.

I really, really hope that they do not tap Demario to do punt returns. The offense desperately needs him as a WR, not as a banged up suicide squad victim. A combination of Demario, Devante, and maybe Thornton would be a respectable starting WR corps. If I was DD, I would drop every punt in practice and preseason ;^)
Thornton? Not Boutte?

I know binkies are usually supposed to be rookies, but McDermott is mine. Solid play from him would help this offense immensely.
I think he did a decent job last year. I don’t think it’s the end of the world if he is our starting RT.

Thornton? Not Boutte?
In my tiny, peephole camp observations, Thornton looked more advanced, at this stage, than Boutte. I don't understand all the negative ink that Thornton has gotten from the press this preseason. He looked pretty good to me....but I did not see a lot....but it was discouraging that he has not had many targets.

Anyway, right now I see the starting WRs as Devante, JuJu, and Demario. This seems like a pretty good lineup.

Last edited:
In my tiny, peephole camp observations, Thornton looked more advanced, at this stage, than Boutte. I don't understand all the negative ink that Thornton has gotten from the press this preseason. He looked pretty good to me....but I did not see a lot....but it was discouraging that he has not had many targets.

Anyway, right now I see the starting WRs as Devante, JuJu, and Demario. This seems like a pretty good lineup.
Thornton should be more advanced, he’s no longer a rookie. But it doesn’t seem he’s made as much of a second year jump as hoped. Boutte seems to be starting out as a similar but more filled out player, maybe a bit more advanced that Thornton was as a rookie.

I expect Juju, Parker, and Bourne will be in a rotation outside, at least until one of them stands out or falters. Demario will mostly be in the slot, and maybe sometimes Juju or Bourne will rotate in there as well. Those four will be the mainstays, with Thornton and/or possibly Boutte as the next tier.

I get the feeling that training camp is, in some way ways, for show or maybe for the big picture coordination or for fine tuning. It seems as if most of the basic position battles had already been determined. For instance, Demario Douglas had already earned a spot with the starters by the first camp workout. Obviously, he must have been running against the CBs or at least the other WRs in private workouts before camp started.

Whether it is for show or not, Training Camp is quite entertaining for a football geek like me and, of course, for the kids, especially the lucky ones that get an autograph.
I have a vision of Belichick as a mad scientist, tinkering in his lab to find the best combination of talents and the formula for success. He starts out in camp testing each player to see what he’s got to work with. Then the first half of the season he’s putting the parts together, and by the end of the season if the ingredients are there the machine is ready to roll into the playoffs. Really fun to watch the master at work.

edit to add: this is why Judon and Brown not practicing is a big nothing. Bill knows what they are. They are established professionals with a record of playing at an elite level. He knows they will show up and do their jobs when the gun goes off. They don’t need to learn skills they’ve already mastered. Keeping them out of practice and conditioning means they’ll be ready to go when needed, not dinged up in practice or worn down late in the season. They’ll get enough reps to be sharp, without wearing them down. And it gives reps to the guys he needs to test and develop. Having them out is NBD.

Last edited:
People are underestimating the fact that most of the league passed 2x on Metcalf because of the bad reports.

Not only that, but between Harry and Metcalf, another 5 WRs were taken. 2 of them turned out well, only 1 is with his current team, and 4 of them (counting Harry) are busts.

It's not just the Patriots who whiffed on Metcalf but at least 5 other teams took busts or middling WRs before him, and then the rest of the league who could have used but passed on him for lesser players.

In other words, it was never an either or, not when Isabella, Harry, Artega-Whiteside and a few others went before him
Anyone who says Metcalf was a lock was not paying attention at the time or wants to be revisionist. There was plenty of debate that went on, not just here but nationally. If I recall, it was either his cone or shuttle that was slow than Tom Brady's. Too lazy to go look it up. Regardless, Metcalf was boom or bust coming out.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back