PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots ROOKIE Mini-Camp (13-15) - Going on Now

The last time I saw anyone so infatuated with a guy’s calf’s was on Entourage when Johnny Drama wanted to get calf implants , and he fixated on Lamar Odom’s calf’s at a party.

Thornton’s job is to give them a reliable deep threat, so defenses will have to honor that threat and that will open things up underneath for the other receivers. The size of his calf’s is irrelevant. And you know also was built like that? Randy Moss, and he was rarely injured.
Its not just his calf size. He is a twig. Twigs snap easily. Not a great history with ultrafast straight liners. If it were just all about straight line speed he would have been a top 10 pick. It might work out…but history suggests not.

Its not just his calf size. He is a twig. Twigs snap easily. Not a great history with ultrafast straight liners. If it were just all about straight line speed he would have been a top 10 pick. It might work out…but history suggests not.

And yet his tape is not that bad.

Corners respected his speed. He beat them on go routes and on stop routes. He even ran some come back routes successfully.

Did he drop some balls…. Yes!

But the threat of his speed created more separation than anything harry put on tape.

Maybe we should see how he does at training camp before passing judgement.

Jon Jones is 5'10". Marcus Jones is 5'8". Terrance Mitchell, Jack Jones, and Malcolm Butler are 5'11". Not sure where you got 4" to 6" taller than Jon Jones when he is only 1" shorter than our other options and Marcus is 2" shorter than Jon. Not sure why you are so concerned about 1" shorter. If Marcus works out, at 5'8" the Pats are planning on playing him in the slot.
Jonathan Jones measured in at 5'9 1/8. Not 5'10. I don't know what you read in my post, but it certainly wasn't remotely close to what I typed. At 5'9, Jon Jones is giving up 4"-6" to guys like Metcalf, Evans, Godwin, Christian Watson, Treylon Burks, Jamieson Williams, Cedric Wilson, Preston Williams, Denzel Mims, Corey Davis, Garbiel Davis. That's the mismatch I was referring to if Jones is moved out of the slot to the OUTSIDE.

Marcus Jones is going to be the 2nd slot guy this year. Guess what. Jonathan Jones is a UFA after this season and Belichick brought in Marcus to learn the position to take over NEXT season. Having a 2nd Slot guy is a need considering that the two times that Jones was lost for the season, the players tasked with stepping up failed to do so in major ways.. We saw that against Philly in the Super Bowl and against the Bills twice last season.

Please show all the games that he missed in D1 College to injuries to his wrists, lets, arms, etc. Otherwise there is no history to which you could be referring to.

Watching his tape, you can tell pretty quickly that A) labeling him as just as "straight liner" is incorrect, and B) one massive reason he wasn't on people's pre-draft radars was that he had one of the worst QBs in college football.

Seriously? What about all the other Stuff Lightweight mofos that have been drafted high over the years, they must suck hard.

Get a grip.

Where is the mini-camp thread? I thought today is the first day and is open to reporters.

Jonathan Jones measured in at 5'9 1/8. Not 5'10. I don't know what you read in my post, but it certainly wasn't remotely close to what I typed. At 5'9, Jon Jones is giving up 4"-6" to guys like Metcalf, Evans, Godwin, Christian Watson, Treylon Burks, Jamieson Williams, Cedric Wilson, Preston Williams, Denzel Mims, Corey Davis, Garbiel Davis. That's the mismatch I was referring to if Jones is moved out of the slot to the OUTSIDE.

Marcus Jones is going to be the 2nd slot guy this year. Guess what. Jonathan Jones is a UFA after this season and Belichick brought in Marcus to learn the position to take over NEXT season. Having a 2nd Slot guy is a need considering that the two times that Jones was lost for the season, the players tasked with stepping up failed to do so in major ways.. We saw that against Philly in the Super Bowl and against the Bills twice last season.

Agree with this. J. Jones is used against the super quick receivers, usually the smaller WR’s, and usually in the slot. However Belichick also used him outside against guys like Tyreek Hill, but he was essentially providing the unn no derneath coverage, as there would be another DB over the top. And the more speed at DB the better.

Please show all the games that he missed in D1 College to injuries to his wrists, lets, arms, etc. Otherwise there is no history to which you could be referring to.
I think he means history league-wide, specifically from an older school perspective, aka from before the Peyton Manning rule changes that made receivers untouchable. Back then I'd have agreed on the extent that his frame would limit Thornton. That, however, was a long time ago in a very different NFL.

His 3-cone and height would be all we’d be hearing about instead of twig legs …

View attachment 43159

Thonton‘s 3-cone was worse (per Evan Lazar) so IMHO neither was a great choice, I wanted Travis Jones there so I don’t know diddly squat, I’m just saying we’d likely be *****ing about Moore also.

Completely agree that Travis Jones should've been the pick at 54... He was Exactly what the doctor ordered at DT next to Barmore for the next 4 years, at minimum.

btw, BoneyT's shuttle & 3-cone times at his pro day were even worse than Moore's:

And yet his tape is not that bad.

Corners respected his speed. He beat them on go routes and on stop routes. He even ran some come back routes successfully.

Did he drop some balls…. Yes!

But the threat of his speed created more separation than anything harry put on tape.

Maybe we should see how he does at training camp before passing judgement.
I think he had the lowest drop percentage of WR taken in the draft. Around 3%.

Also he was fast enough to adjust to poorly thrown balls.

Completely agree that Travis Jones should've been the pick at 54... He was Exactly what the doctor ordered at DT next to Barmore for the next 4 years, at minimum.

btw, BoneyT's shuttle & 3-cone times at his pro day were even worse than Moore's:

Good thing he won't be forced to run the competitive 3-cone against other teams with the game on the line

Please tell me that this isn't the dude that Bill chose instead of Skyy Moore...

randymossjpg-42f977a78d5ff2a2.jpg

His 3-cone and height would be all we’d be hearing about instead of twig legs …

View attachment 43159

Thonton‘s 3-cone was worse (per Evan Lazar) so IMHO neither was a great choice, I wanted Travis Jones there so I don’t know diddly squat, I’m just saying we’d likely be *****ing about Moore also.

1654577194825.png

He came out a hell of a lot better.

************, how many times do you have to have it pointed out that A) there are any number of receivers in the NFL that are around his size, anbd that B) he was NOT just a straight line receiver in college. DId you look at even one minute of tape on him?? The exact same size as Jameson Williams who everybody was screaming for in the first round.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back