PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Salas, Rivera, Hilliard Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Branch being back is a step in the right direction. Still a little confused why we had to take a step in the wrong direction in the first place, but the end result is all that matters, yeah?

Id like to see Carter opposite of C. Jones.

Our DLine would be nasty

All we know about A.Carter is that "the Patriots are monitoring his situation closely," whatever that may mean to you.

It would seem that OAK's second visit yesterday was a look to see how he has been progressing with his injury in the past 4 weeks. I think it's all about that specific factor.

IF he has been doing better/making progress, then maybe OAK's interest has pushed the NEP to finally make a move with him. IF he hasn't been making enough progress then maybe that explains OAK not wanting him yet either.

I have not been able to rewatch the games due to DVR issues, but I kind of thought that Solder and the platoon of Vollmer/Cannon had looked better than we had thought so far.

I would agree that depth on the outside is an issue depending upon how much progress Vollmer is making, but if Vollmer is coming along then it may not be as bad as many of us think just yet.

From what I've seen The O line looks better than it did, but it's still a ways from 2011. If they ever get Waters back and slide Connolly in at Center, the entire middle (along with an improving Mankins) is back to dominant. I think the expectation (or hope) is that the ends improve as the season moves along and chemistry develops again. Here's to hoping!

All we know about A.Carter is that "the Patriots are monitoring his situation closely," whatever that may mean to you.

It would seem that OAK's second visit yesterday was a look to see how he has been progressing with his injury in the past 4 weeks. I think it's all about that specific factor.

IF he has been doing better/making progress, then maybe OAK's interest has pushed the NEP to finally make a move with him. IF he hasn't been making enough progress then maybe that explains OAK not wanting him yet either.

Deus stated the opinion, which I thought had a lot of merit.

Sign Carter now. His upside is worth a depth position.

Then again I don't know the norm for rehabbing an injury of his nature either.. but a Carter at 75% is sill well worth the roster spot, imo.

EDIT: I too am sorry not to get to see anything from Salas. I was looking forward to seeing what he brought to the table.

Last edited:
Oy! What if it's Paxton!

Still a little confused why we had to take a step in the wrong direction in the first place

My personal theory with limited knowledge (that also goes for about 97-98% of the posters here) is that maybe Belichick was paying more mind to the front seven players, the prospect of additional rotational value in keeping them fresh for the long haul, and the potential for injury there.

That would explain the 17 front seven players pretty well, which is probably about 1-3 more players than anyone here had in their roster projections.

The plan to develop the running game more and lean on the TE-heavier formations (or at least utilize the 2 TE set in more plays) would point to the lessened need at the WR position. Especially with the addition of Llyod, the retention of Welker, the good camp that Edelman has had, the pickup of Salas, the addition of the WR to the practice squad, and the possibility of Slater being able to take reps there if/when needed.

Although the WR corps was not what we necessarily wanted it to be, the depth itself isn't quite as bad as some here are making it, it was the talent--lack thereof.

Salas got credit for a full accrued season because he went from active roster to IR. He isn't PS eligible. That 9 game rule is for players who were signed as FA and did not previously achieve an accrued season.

Ah, OK didn't know he was on IR.

Then again I don't know the norm for rehabbing an injury of his nature either.. but a Carter at 75% is sill well worth the roster spot, imo.

EDIT: I too am sorry not to get to see anything from Salas. I was looking forward to seeing what he brought to the table.

I'm all for Carter too. The only drawbacks that I could see to signing him immediately would be:

--the lack of 'need' for additional front seven players right now, as we already have 17 which is more than any of us could have predicted

EDIT: with the release of Rivera, there are only 16. The point stands the same though as there seems to be adequate depth at the moment

--the possibility of a 'wink/nod' arrangement with Carter here, and the NEP's specific feelings on that situation coming to fruition a couple/few weeks down the road. In other words, maybe they already feel that there's a good chance that he'll be back here for the second half of the year

--the uncertainty or lack of enough progress on the injury rehab situation

Other than that, bringing Carter back would be great. I'm actually hoping that's what the move is the most, other than Waters.

Ah, OK didn't know he was on IR.

Yeah, he looked like he certainly had potential for a rookie in his limited time there until he was hurt. That, and the fact that Bradford was not 100% himself either last year may point to a better rookie year than it shows.

The rule that Mo brings up could be seen as kind of a bummer from a young player's point of view who was injured in his first season.

:( I wanted to see Salas play.

But now I want Carter. Jones and Carter would be monstrous.

Ive been pretty much a full blown koolaid chugger, IBWT kind of guy ever since the first Ring. But this last weekend's play calling/weirdness definately gave me some pause for concern. and now this absolute waste of a 7th round pick on a Mcdaniel binky is now quickly cut in favor of the guy who probably shouldnt have gone in the first place?

WTF is going on Bill?

I wonder if Matt Kopa is fully recovered from his ankle injury. Perhaps he may be a band-aid at OT. The team seems to like him.

I wonder if Matt Kopa is fully recovered from his ankle injury. Perhaps he may be a band-aid at OT. The team seems to like him.

Kopa-Cabana.

The next young star at OT :rocker:

So we bring in Carter. For his upside? He is 33 what upside? You know who has upside Cunningham (24), Scott (28), and Bequette (23). They have tremendous upside and not getting enough snaps as it is. But your suggesting they sit even more and we bring in Carter.

And then when Carter gets here who's snaps does he take? Ninkovich, or Jones? Or does Hightower lose snaps with Nink taking his at LB?

The Salas move is confusing. How could McDaniels coach him for a year, decide he's worth trading for, and then not get him on the field during his time in NE?

So we bring in Carter. For his upside? He is 33 what upside? You know who has upside Cunningham (24), Scott (28), and Bequette (23). They have tremendous upside and not getting enough snaps as it is. But your suggesting they sit even more and we bring in Carter.

And then when Carter gets here who's snaps does he take? Ninkovich, or Jones? Or does Hightower lose snaps with Nink taking his at LB?

I don't think Carter is coming back, at least not yet, but signing him might allow Ninkovich to replace Rivera as the 5th linebacker. Not 5th on the depth chart, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft