PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are 27/32 on cash tracker for this year as of 4-18

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score

Even though they do not have a ton of cap space, this would indicate they are near the bottom of the league (27/32) in cash total spent for all active players.
Only teams below them are rams, bears lions, bucs and titans (guess what they all have in common)

So for those who have not been overly impressed with their activity during free agency, it may be because they are not spending like the majority of other teams. 97 million less than the browns who are #1. Where are the playmakers or foundational pieces for OL or DL. Hopefully a prime LT from the draft.
No WR or TE will move the needle in year 1 for the offense. Hoping they do not go for Flowerrs or Addison or Mayers in round 1, Ohio State WR would be good.

signings of UFA's from other teams
Schuster Smith, Gesicki, James Robinson, Reilly Reiff, Calvin Anderson, Chris Board and Trace Mcsurley....not exactly knocking your socks off.
Schuster Smith and Gesicki may help with passing game, but Gesicki can not block worth a nickel on tape I have watched.

resignings; Bold = good solid signing, 2 on offense, 3 on defense STILL NO elite talent anywhere except Barmore

BoB and BB will truly have their work cut out for them, given the other teams in the divisions moves.
I can not see any top draft picks propelling them into third place in their rookie year?
The only move that would truly move the needle would be Lamar Jackson......surprise us Bill.

Last edited:

Even though they do not have a ton of cap space, this would indicate they are near the bottom of the league (27/32) in cash total spent for all active players.
Only teams below them are rams, bears lions, bucs and titans (guess what they all have in common)

So for those who have not been overly impressed with their activity during free agency, it may be because they are not spending like the majority of other teams. 97 million less than the browns who are #1. Where are the playmakers or foundational pieces for OL or DL. Hopefully a prime LT from the draft.
No WR or TE will move the needle in year 1 for the offense. Hoping they do not go for Flowerrs or Addison or Mayers in round 1, Ohio State WR would be good.

Schuster Smith, Gesicki, James Robinson, Reilly Reiff, Calvin Anderson, Chris Board and Trace Mcsurley....not exactly knocking your socks off.
Schuster Smith and Gesicki may help with passing game, but Gesicki can not block worth a nickel on tape I have watched.

resignings; Bold = good solid signing, 2 on offense, 3 on defense STILL NO elite talent anywhere except Barmore

BoB and BB will truly have their work cut out for them, given the other teams in the divisions moves.
I can not see any top draft picks propelling them into third place in their rookie year?
The only move that would truly move the needle would be Lamar Jackson......surprise us Bill.

Great, great post. They have a bunch of Y2 players, the 2022 draft class we are depending on, plus Wilson, McMillan, and Peppers. Mac is essentially in Y2 also - last year was forgettable. Lets hope for a lot of Y2 jumps.

Don't dismiss Board, his coverage skills on passing downs were statistically impressive plus his special teams play - an ideal BB player who does 1 thing great plus ST. We need a 3rd down pass covering LB.

The Pats have shown that they can find those players in the draft.

Im not too concerned about DL and hopeful that the guy who scouted Wynn is now driving Uber.
Every draft I believe that the Pats will finally land a Stud WR. Its been over 20 years since Branch and Givens.

And every draft that NE WR begins his career on PUP. So, it begins. Teakwood Thornton.
Good.

Blockers are a dime a dozen. JUJU was a disappointment in the pass game.
We dont want or need his over rated axx.

These Mike Vick/ RG3 type QBRB never work out. Boom or Bust. I will say that Jackson has lasted the longest, but the injuries are beginning to be more frequent and the day is coming when Jackson gets flattened by a DB.

The Patriots usually are middle of the pack in cash spending and it can significantly fluctuate year to year while having little correlation to success.

I noticed Super Bowl teams KC and Philly only spent $15-18m more. The Jets spent $65m more and what did they really have to show for it? The recurring theme seems to be that there isn’t a lot of correlation between cash spending and success.

I’m no expert, but cash spending and cap spending are very different.

Fwiw, I’d rather build through the draft. Less than stellar drafting was a bigger problem with the Pats the last 5 years.

Measuring it at this time of year is always going to be negative towards the Patriots. The Pats use incentives (playing time, pefromance, attendance etc) more than most teams in the league. Those incentives get paid out during the year so don’t factor into cash spending at this time.

I read title as crash tracter

Once again, this kind of thing fluctuates wildly because you have dead cap hits and cap numbers that are higher (or lower) each year than the cash you're paying the guy, because you already paid some of that money out in previous years.

What does cash spent even mean as a barometer ? how much space you have now and the next year, and how how much dead money you have are the ones that matter to me.

What does cash spent even mean as a barometer ? how much space you have now and the next year, and how how much dead money you have are the ones that matter to me.
The GOAT thinks it’s important

“Our spending in 2020, our spending in 2021 and our spending in 2022, the aggregate of that, was we were 27th in the league in cash spending. Couple years we’re low, one year was high, but over a three-year period, we are one of the lowest spending teams in the league.

palm beach penthouses dont buy themselves
At the end of NE's past season Bill was quoted as saying: "Over a three-year period, we are one of the lowest spending teams in the league.”Bill Belichick (01/09/23)

I am interpreting his answer to mean the 2020, 2021, and 2022 seasons.

Now we are into the 2023 season calendar year and the $$$ count indicates NE is a bottom 6 cash spender (as of now)

FOUR years running.
Confirmed by the teams HC/GM/Dictator

Hmmmmm.....
Anyone else starting to notice a pattern?

Yet, a certain entrenched contingent of fanboy fluffers continue to bury their heads in the sand (or up each others asses) and vehemently deny the team's lackluster spending which coincidently corresponds to the team's lackluster performance.

Refresh my memory on the below market salaries and unachievable incentive clauses GOAT Brady was subjected to in his final years before he finally said Phuck This Bull-Schitt and subsequently signed on for a few more million to play in Tampa?

Ostrich Avestruz GIF by Amnistía Internacional España
wrestling humiliation GIF

Last edited:
What do they have in common?

At the end of NE's past season Bill was quoted as saying: "Over a three-year period, we are one of the lowest spending teams in the league.”Bill Belichick (01/09/23)

Now we are into the 2023 season calendar year and the $$$ count indicates NE is a bottom 6 cash spender (as of now)

FOUR years running.

Hmmmmm.....

Yet, a certain entrenched contingent of fanboy fluffers continue to bury their heads in the sand (or up each others asses) and vehemently deny the team's lackluster spending which coincidently corresponds to the team's lackluster performance.

Refresh my memory on the below market salaries and unachievable incentive clauses GOAT Brady was subjected to in his final years before he finally said Phuck This Bull-Schitt and subsequently signed on for a few more million to play in Tampa?

Ostrich Avestruz GIF by Amnistía Internacional España
wrestling humiliation GIF
The Patriots had the most opt outs in 2020 which greatly impacted their cash spending. They were the second highest cash spending team in 2021, and were 13th when averaging 21 and 22.

Numbers are from Miguel's Twitter feed. I'm too lazy to provide another link.

FOUR years running.
In 2020 they were clearing dead cap which accounted for a quarter of their entire cap. They were also clearing bad contracts or bloated deals like Gilmore’s, which was artificially inflated because they used his contract as a slush fund in 2018 and 2019 to sign players at the trade deadline. This method from 2014-2019 was “going all in,” and resulted in 4 Super Bowl appearances with three wins. If that’s “failure” you should probably get back on your meds.

In 2021 the Patriots were one of the biggest spenders in the league. This was due to them clearing dead cap the year prior but also massive holes in their roster. Typically spending is spread out and they’re signing their own free agents. Despite that, the biggest cap hit on the team was still Gilmore, which along with injury is why they traded him for nothing.

In 2022 they didn’t spend a lot, the bigger mistake was assuming Patricia and Judge were the answer at offensive coaching.

Why they didn’t spend more? In 2022 and previous years they used double digit draft picks every year. The team was developing young talent, which rarely happens overnight. You build through the draft and fill in through free agency. You can’t just buy a team.
Hmmmmm.....

Yeah, there is a pattern. A select group of spoiled entitled Patriot fans are no longer built for the struggle of a rebuild. There’s no patience or understanding about player development. They want instant satisfaction in a business where it’s a rare occurrence. The Patriots made winning look easy for so long, many fans grew to believe it was… it’s not. It’s hard to win in the NFL, harder still to win a ring.
Hey genius, Tom Brady wasn’t forced to sign a new extension every offseason. He signed every year because he understood how the salary cap worked and agreed to take less. It resulted in 3 rings.

He left because the Patriots roster aged out, they were deep in cap debt, couldn’t afford great veteran weapons and because Giselle wanted to move to Miami. The years of borrowing against future cap and kicking the salary cap can down the road caught up with them and there was no path forward to more rings.

Also Tampa didn’t just pay him a “few million more, it was substantially more along with a turnkey Super Bowl winning roster and the best receiving weapons in the league.

Your memory doesn’t extend back far enough, you don’t remember the 80’s and prior when the team was the league doormat. Grow up, you’re not entitled to a Super Bowl every year.

Last edited:
As I understand it they're lower in cash spend because most of their cap is taken up from cap hits from guys they signed to deals in 2021. Many teams build up cash spend totals via restructures which kick the can down the road and free up cap space now at the expense of lost cap space later, and allows them to then spend even more cash now on new free agents. The Patriots have both A) not restructured anyone and B) signed few players, so their cash spend is low despite being fairly close to the cap ceiling.

As you can see, due to this approach, in 2024 and 2025 they have an extremely high cap space total available which will inevitably be spent in one way or another, either with new players or extensions of players currently rostered that have not yet been signed. This is why viewing the cash spend total for 2023 in the middle of April of that same year is a foolish endeavor.

And to the larger question of this thread… cash spending is not cap space.

From 2001-2019 the Patriots were always fiscally responsible and were the winningest team in football history. So don’t show your ignorance by yelling how spending more equates to more winning… because it simply isn’t true.

There’s a hard cap in football, this isn’t baseball where large market teams like the Yankees or Dodgers can simply outspend the opposition. Team building is far more nuanced in the NFL… if it weren’t, guys like Jerry Jones or Daniel Snyder would simply outspend everyone.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back