PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots should absolutely pick a CB or OT at 14

Mac had 15 Tds last year thats like 5 games for most elite QBs. He is not elite and last year he wasnt even serviceable(yeah i know Patricia was a mess). You cannot compete in this league without a top tier QB and we dont have that and I dont see that changing next season. I get we brought in BOB to work with Mac and his numbers should be better than the mess that was last season but I just dont see him being the long term answer at QB if we want to be competitive again for real trophies, and not wild cards one and dones. I know they wont do it but interested to see if say Levis makes it out of the top ten. I expect to see CB or OL unless they really covet a TE as both rostered TEs are on one years deals so we have to address the future of that spot in some form or fashion.

Last years picks of Strange (in and out of the starting lineup) and Twiggy Thornton (hurt and invisible) arent looking so hot.

I generally believe in taking the best prospect, but there is always a mix of need and quality. CB is really deep this year, so unless Witherspoon is still there I would go CB on day 2. Unlike most here I would run the pick up if Bijan Robinson is still available, and I like JSN and Flowers at WR, Nolan Smith at LB, and Van Ness on the DL. I’m not big in this years OL class, and would prefer they wait on that position.

Unless Paris Johnson is there, not interested in OT if staying put at 14. Have watched a lot of Broderick Jones and don’t see it at that spot. If wanting OT, can possibly trade down and get better value a little later with Wright or Harrison while also leveraging toward an earlier 2nd rounder with the next pick.

Witherspoon looks like a great combo of value and need if available. Would be thrilled with him.

Van Ness and Bresee are interesting. Judon is going to be 31 to start this season, Guy is on his last legs, and can never have too many DL/EDGE guys.

Like most years, the top dozen or so picks of the 1st round grades look to have a general consensus, while the rest of the 1st looks to be up for strong debate and shuffling depending on perspective. Sure do wish we were picking last in the 1st round given what that entails, but it is definitely fun having a fairly high pick and debating all the “what ifs”

I’m on board with a CB if they’re 6’3 with 4.3ish speed with hands and body control. Also if the CB is actually a wideout. I don’t care if the defense can hold the opposing O to 20 if our O can’t score more than 20. I’m glad we got rid of Patricia but we haven’t seen one snap with BOB at OC. The new NFL is all about speed/offense and the teams that don’t know this can’t compete with the ones that do

Unless Paris Johnson is there, not interested in OT if staying put at 14. Have watched a lot of Broderick Jones and don’t see it at that spot. If wanting OT, can possibly trade down and get better value a little later with Wright or Harrison while also leveraging toward an earlier 2nd rounder with the next pick.

Witherspoon looks like a great combo of value and need if available. Would be thrilled with him.

Van Ness and Bresee are interesting. Judon is going to be 31 to start this season, Guy is on his last legs, and can never have too many DL/EDGE guys.

Like most years, the top dozen or so picks of the 1st round grades look to have a general consensus, while the rest of the 1st looks to be up for strong debate and shuffling depending on perspective. Sure do wish we were picking last in the 1st round given what that entails, but it is definitely fun having a fairly high pick and debating all the “what ifs”
Give me the sure thing (Skoronski) or thr raw guy with elite LT potential (B. Jones) over Johnson any day.

The Packers-Jets trade was an inevitability, so I love the fact that the Jets now slot behind the Patriots in the first round, because they were almost certainly going to take a LT at 13. Of course, Green Bay could take an OT as an eventual replacement for Bakhtiari, playing him initially at RT, but it’s not one of their top needs.

JSN will not be available now that GB has jumped the Pats. Either Paris Johnson or Briderick Jobes should be available. Can never have enough Jones on a team. Build the OL as foundation for future.
Pats will not be competitive this year.

I want Nothing to do with Any of the Alabama Safeties... But I also wouldn't be surprised, at all, if Billy takes Brian Branch in the 1st round, at 14 or wherever...
I think he's trading back into the 20s and taking him just to piss you off.

This team needs blue chip talent regardless of position. What we shouldn't be doing is reaching for a lesser player at 14 just because its a position of need. In an ideal world need and value align at 14 but, if they don't, I'd rather we take a Nolan Smith or Bijan Robinson than reach on an average OT or WR. The good news is that if 4 QBs go in the top 13, there should be a good player fall to us - either to allow us to trade down or get a good player there.

I generally believe in taking the best prospect, but there is always a mix of need and quality. CB is really deep this year, so unless Witherspoon is still there I would go CB on day 2. Unlike most here I would run the pick up if Bijan Robinson is still available, and I like JSN and Flowers at WR, Nolan Smith at LB, and Van Ness on the DL. I’m not big in this years OL class, and would prefer they wait on that position.

The longer this goes, the more I think BB will choose Robinson, if he drops.

1) Bill always likes value and what is out of favor.
2) How else is he going to win against AFC East without ball control?

A RB @ 14 with Rham? I would throw my brand new TV out the window with help of course.

A RB @ 14 with Rham? I would throw my brand new TV out the window with help of course.
Why not have a two headed monster at RB? Stevenson is a bruiser and if he goes down our run game takes a huge hit.

Why not have a two headed monster at RB? Stevenson is a bruiser and if he goes down our run game takes a huge hit.
I've seen him compared to Christian McCaffrey, and if there's any truth to that I'd be ok with him. McCaffrey is a game changer.

Well good thing we have more picks in the draft to take some OL. Depending on how the draft goes, Robinson could have more value at that spot than reaching for an OT.
They're some RB's who can create if nothing is there is B Johnson that type? Some say he's better than Barkley coming out Hmmmm.

If he’s there I could definitely see them taking him, especially since he can be used as a slot receiver as we, but my big concern is Atlanta taking him. I could also see the trading back and taking Gibbs. And I agree that playing ball control and good defense will give them the best shot at winning, they aren’t going to be winning shootouts.

And RB’s are out all the time. They get the **** kicked out of them.

And RB’s are out all the time. They get the **** kicked out of them.

We can get a great RB in R4. Yes, RB get hurt so better to draft one every year in R3 or R4. Just like we did with Rham. Don't need a RB at 14, we need OL, DL, or shutdown corner. What positions will be drafted in the top 15? QB, OL, DL, and CB. We should do the same.

We can get a great RB in R4. Yes, RB get hurt so better to draft one every year in R3 or R4. Just like we did with Rham. Don't need a RB at 14, we need OL, DL, or shutdown corner. What positions will be drafted in the top 15? QB, OL, DL, and CB. We should do the same.

We don't have a player on offense another team needs to game plan around. The chances that player is available in the 4th round is remote.

It's not that you're wrong, but imagine an Ed McCaffrey or Derrick Henry in the offense. Yes, I'd rather have Chase or Tyrek, but they're not walking through the door.

From what I've read, no OL is worthy of 14. That's the position they can add in the 2nd or third round. CB is different. There are a couple who might be shutdown, so maybe a Joey Porter makes more sense.

JMO, but I think the team biggest weakness is they have no game changers at any position. I am against choosing a late first round talent OL over a potential game changer, no matter the position or need.

We don't have a player on offense another team needs to game plan around. The chances that player is available in the 4th round is remote.

It's not that you're wrong, but imagine an Ed McCaffrey or Derrick Henry in the offense. Yes, I'd rather have Chase or Tyrek, but they're not walking through the door.

From what I've read, no OL is worthy of 14. That's the position they can add in the 2nd or third round. CB is different. There are a couple who might be shutdown, so maybe a Joey Porter makes more sense.

JMO, but I think the team biggest weakness is they have no game changers at any position. I am against choosing a late first round talent OL over a potential game changer, no matter the position or need.

Would be great, but I am not sure there are a lot of game changers in this year's draft. Unfortunate because we rarely have such a high pick. (and it is not really high-almost average).

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back