PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Focusing On The FOUR Openings At OT

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In order to have the flexibility to draft a QB at 3, we need to have a plan for getting our OT's. I well understand that we may not draft a QB that highly, but we need the flexibility to do so. In some sense, free agency should not force picks in the draft.
=====================================================
WHAT WE HAVE
Is there any OT on the roster that you want on the 2024 final 53?
==============
OPTION ONE - ONWENU
He is worth the $20 franchise, even if it is a 1-year bridge. We are in a terrible situation.

OPTION 2
Draft a STARTING OT at 34.

OPTION 3
Draft a developmental; OT in the 3rd or 4th

OPTION 4
Sign additional OT to compete with #34
=========
If we don't do ALL of these, what is your replacement suggestions?

Last edited:
I think your plan is the most reasonable one. You need to fill one of the starting slots in free agency or through a trade with a guy you KNOW can do it. It doesn't have to be Onwenu, but based on the list of available guys as of today, there's no one better and he's a known commodity.

You need to bring in a guy who could start at LT if you needed him to, even if it's not ideal. Preferably, he's a guy who can also play RT seamlessly. That way, wherever you draft a rookie, if the kid wins the job you have a veteran who can backup both spots.

Then I think you need to sign an additional veteran swing guy, draft a kid in the mid-late rounds, and let them compete with UDFAs and Calvin Anderson (who's a longshot, but is still on a reasonable contract for one more year) for the 4th spot and PS/callup roles. Basically, they need to throw A LOT at the position, because they need to hedge their bets a bit. Wherever they get their new QB, they need to solidify the end of the line, and it's unreasonable to expect to just hit on 100% of the guys you bring in (and have no injuries).

Overkill the position until you have the problem solved.

1,2,3 and 4. The reality is we are in a deep hole at tackle and it has to be addreessed in a manner that is more focused than last years attempt to address the position was. Resigning, or at the very least franchising Onwenu, is the key to starting to anchoring/rebuilding the Oline.
It's quite astonishing just how bare the offensive cupboard was left, when BB exited.

Fans who long for a QB this draft are the same ones that’ll bellyache when the OTs don’t hold up against opposing rushers.

I’d grab an OT in the first round and another in the second, while also exploring FA and considering Onwenu for at least one more season.

If you must grab a QB with NE’s first pick in this draft, get as many OLs as possible thereafter, starting with the 2nd rounder.

1. Sign Tyron Smith, solid LT
2. Sign Eluemunor as swing T
3. Draft Guyton w/ #34 as RT
4. Draft a couple other T in late rounds

This is way cheaper than tagging Onwenu, who is a RG.

QB and Tackle should be top priorities.

I don't think it's wise to franchise a guard just because he can play tackle too. Way to expensive. Ideally there would be a good long term deal for him that's significantly less than an 18 mil hit. But rumors are that's not happening. I'm still hoping.

I think either way we might have to get creative to fill LT and I'm wondering if there's a trade to be made. I'd give up 34 to solve this problem.

Then draft QB at 3.

QB and Tackle should be top priorities.

I don't think it's wise to franchise a guard just because he can play tackle too. Way to expensive. Ideally there would be a good long term deal for him that's significantly less than an 18 mil hit. But rumors are that's not happening. I'm still hoping.

I think either way we might have to get creative to fill LT and I'm wondering if there's a trade to be made. I'd give up 34 to solve this problem.

Then draft QB at 3.
You say draft a QB at 3
You say that it unlikely that we sign Onwenu.
You want to give our 34 to trade for a LT.

and then

We still don't have a starting RT, swing OT, or developmental OT (I guess that's a 3rd or 4th)

According to spotrrac Market value for Big O is a 4 year 54,642,980 which is AAV of 13.65M. I have no idea how they calculate that number, but I would absolutely not tag him. I have also been playing around on overthecap and it is possible to get over 100M in cap space it would involve cutting Wise, Godchaux and Guy leaving us pretty thin.

It is no guarantee that a starting RT will be there at 34.

I've fine with trying to sign Smith and Eluemenor.

You say draft a QB at 3
You say that it unlikely that we sign Onwenu.
You want to give our 34 to trade for a LT.

and then

We still don't have a starting RT, swing OT, or developmental OT (I guess that's a 3rd or 4th)
Might take a few seasons to build out that depth. But we also have some cash to spend.

I like jonah williams, he played RT last year but prior to that he was a LT

They’re signing at least three free agents. One will be Conor McDermott quality, better than a typical day 3 rookie but low enough investment that you’re fine if he ends up on the PS instead. Could be McDermott himself if the concussion issue isn’t a concern. Geron Christian would be the rough equivalent for Van Pelt and Peters with the Browns last year.

The next is somebody who is on the borderline between swing tackle and starter. Probably similar to what they hoped to get from Calvin Anderson prior to his illness issues, somebody who hasn’t been a full time starter but who has double digit starts without looking completely out of place. You hope the draft board works out that you can make this free agent your top backup, but he’s starting if the draft doesn’t go in your favor.

And then #3 is the guy you’re signing with full expectation that he’s starting. Somebody like Onwenu, Jonah Williams, Tyron Smith, Jermaine Eluemunor, Donovan Smith, and maybe all the way down to Mekhi Becton or George Fant. More will be released (such as Chukwuma Okorafor recently) or available in salary dump trades. Obviously, certain guys I just named are less likely than others for various reasons. But I feel reasonably confident they’re going to get somebody on that list or an unnamed comparable player.

That seems to be the nice “medium investment” option where you can then draft an OT early, late, or both depending on how the board falls.

If they sign Onwenu to be anything other than guard then they are starting off on the wrong foot already, which would be a terrible sign for the future.

Sign Okorafor or Williams and another lower end guy to be a backup.
And they need to think long and hard about what to do with that #3 pick. Ideally you draft 2 tackles early and pry that new coach works out.

You can get mahomes in here, if you don’t fix that line it won’t matter.

It is no guarantee that a starting RT will be there at 34.

I've fine with trying to sign Smith and Eluemenor.
Then trade up to get one in late 1st Rd.

Smith will want to go to a contender, can't see him signing here.

Jonah Williams might be doable but he's not going to come cheap.

I wonder what the Steelers would want for the kid that was playing RT before they drafted Jones, seemed serviceable at least.

Other than that, I'm in agreement with looking at Eluemunor and I'm certain Josh Jones from the Texans is obtainable - I would also ask Brown what he's looking for, he's been more than serviceable for us.

Draft-wise, it seems everyone wants Guyton and I've seen him go mid first round in some mocks. OT's are always in demand and go earlier than expected. Can't think he'll be in play at the end of the first / early second.

The BYU kid, Suamataia(?) might be there though, and Patrick Paul from Houston is getting some buzz with his size and due to training with Duke Manyweather.

Ots simple, they need to draft a LT in the first. There simply are no serviceable ones in FA or on the roster. Waiting until the 2nd is risky. Deal with qb next year.

Guyton is not lasting until 34, latest mocks have him as high as 15 but generally around 20-25 and he seems to have momentum.

I doubt Smith comes here; at his age I would think he wants to play for a contender though rumors are he wants to stay in Dallas to finish career or is eyeing the Chiefs. He's also an injury risk.
Thus, 1 and 3 are very unlikely.
I'd rather tag Onwenu and try to work out a long-term deal.

PFF Highest rated Free Agent tackles in order of how they rank them:

Smith (82 Pass Block Grade) (33 years old)
Trent Brown (76.4) (31)
Onwenu (75) (26)
Becton (66.4) (25)
Williams (63.2) (26)
Eluemunor (72.0) (29)

Smith is not coming, next 2 are Patriots free agents so anyone they sign will be worse than Onwenu unless they improve, maybe Becton and Williams can improve as still relatively young but how much are you going to need to overpay them as average tackles?

Sign Onwenu, who was a pretty good right tackle and draft another 1 in round 1 or 2 seems the best path.

Then trade up to get one in late 1st Rd.
The trade chart has it taking a 3rd to get us to 23. But that is what I've expected for weeks. IMO, this is what we need for the future.

Guyton is not lasting until 34, latest mocks have him as high as 15 but generally around 20-25 and he seems to have momentum.

I doubt Smith comes here; at his age I would think he wants to play for a contender though rumors are he wants to stay in Dallas to finish career or is eyeing the Chiefs. He's also an injury risk.
Thus, 1 and 3 are very unlikely.
I'd rather tag Onwenu and try to work out a long-term deal.

PFF Highest rated Free Agent tackles in order of how they rank them:

Smith (82 Pass Block Grade) (33 years old)
Trent Brown (76.4) (31)
Onwenu (75) (26)
Becton (66.4) (25)
Williams (63.2) (26)
Eluemunor (72.0) (29)

Smith is not coming, next 2 are Patriots free agents so anyone they sign will be worse than Onwenu unless they improve, maybe Becton and Williams can improve as still relatively young but how much are you going to need to overpay them as average tackles?

Sign Onwenu, who was a pretty good right tackle and draft another 1 in round 1 or 2 seems the best path.
Are you suggesting drafting a LT at the bottom of the first, or are you planning to trade down from 3?
===================
I think that we will have lots of competition in the draft. Becton or Williams are both fine. They are a better choice for starting LT than a draftee other than one from the top 10 picks.

Are you suggesting drafting a LT at the bottom of the first, or are you planning to trade down from 3?
===================
I think that we will have lots of competition in the draft. Becton or Williams are both fine. They are a better choice for starting LT than a draftee other than one from the top 10 picks.
I'm thinking take 2nd round or trade up from 2nd round back into first.
Alternative, if not drafting a QB at #3, is trade back and take tackle high in the first.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back