• QB and OL are both worse

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We will add a QB and at least one OT and probably an OG late in the draft. We may even sign an additional free agent.
=========================
QUARTERBACK
Bissette replaced Jones. Rourke and Zappe are back, at least for now.

IOL
All are back from last year, except that the youngsters have more experience.
We added Leverett.

OT
2023: Onwenu, McDermott, Lowe and Wheatley are all back.
We have added Okorafor and Anderson is back from IR.
=======================
BOTTOM LINE - IMPROVEMENT

Playing are the end of 2023, now out: Jones, Trent Brown

Competing in 2024: Brissette, Okorafor, Leverett, Anderson with 2-4 to come

Last edited:
Too positive so I gotta play devil's advocate:

Going from Mac to Brisset is like getting a new guillotine and telling prisoners we'll have cleaner executions.

Going from Brown to Orokafor/Anderson/rookie from day 2 or later is a downgrade.

2024 Andrews is a downgrade from 2023 Andrews, who was already a downgrade from 2022 Andrews and so on.

Strange is probably getting hurt again and we'll rotate scrubs in his spot.

I'll grant you that we may be improved on the right side of the line, with Sow entering his 2nd season and Onwenu finally getting a full offseason/camp/preseason to roll as a ful time RT. But this positive stuff doesn't belong in my post.

Last edited:
Too positive so I gotta play devil's advocate:

Going from Brown to Orokafor/Anderson/rookie from day 2 or later is a downgrade.

2024 Andrews is a downgrade from 2023 Andrews, who was already a downgrade from 2022 Andrews and so on.

Strange is probably getting hurt again and we'll rotate scrubs in his spot.

I'll grant you that we may be improved on the right side of the line, with Sow entering his 2nd season and Onwenu finally getting a full offseason/camp/preseason to roll as a ful time RT.
fair enough

I do believe that 2023 Brown was not even good enough in 2023. Love was our LT. I would have celebrated Brown coming back if the team could have got him to want to play again. But, I do believe that Okorator/Anderson/rookie is better than Love/Brown.

Yes, the IOL may not have improved. Is there any evidence that Strange will be worse than in 2023? Can Mafi and Leverette do as well when Strange is out? We are arguably prepared for a transition at center. However, I do agree that help inside would be welcomed. I would welcome a G/C being added.

fair enough

I do believe that 2023 Brown was not even good enough in 2023. Love was our LT. I would have celebrated Brown coming back if the team could have got him to want to play again. But, I do believe that Okorator/Anderson/rookie is better than Love/Brown.

Yes, the IOL may not have improved. Is there any evidence that Strange will be worse than in 2023? Can Mafi and Leverette do as well when Strange is out? We are arguably prepared for a transition at center. However, I do agree that help inside would be welcomed. I would welcome a G/C being added.
I think Strange will be fine. He was coming around last year -- at least from what I could see on the Buffalo Wild Wings game day screen. And then he got hurt. I see him as a 10-year player for us that maybe sneaks in a few pro bowls. Hold on a sec ... hey, can you pass that bong?

I'm fine rolling with Jacoby. I like his jersey number too. He is light years better than Tommy Hodson light and Marc Wilson Junior were last year. Give him some better blocking and a wide out who can get a little separation and we are way ahead from last season. Hoping they can draft a WR and OT who can contribute.

I don't understand how our QB situation is improved. All we did was swap Mac for Jacoby. Jacoby never had a winning season and has had losing seasons on much better offenses and all around teams.

No, No they are not. Nobody is better than even a disinterested Brown.

Andrews is a year older.
Strange is a bust.
Nobody even knows who is going to play tackle.

Brisket is better than Zappe, I will give you that.

Put Maye behind this line and watch the season and his career implode before it even starts.

Draft Harrison Jr. Then go O line depth and wait til Arch declares in 2 years.

Manning to Harrison, think about it!

Brissett by default is better than Mac by far.

All they need for the OL to be better is to stay healthy. They’re returning four out of five starting linemen.

Get a stud LT in the draft and they could be much better.

We will add a QB and at least one OT and probably an OG late in the draft. We may even sign an additional free agent.
=========================
QUARTERBACK
Bissette replaced Jones. Rourke and Zappe are back, at least for now.

IOL
All are back from last year, except that the youngsters have more experience.
We added Leverett.

OT
2023: Onwenu, McDermott, Lowe and Wheatley are all back.
We have added Okorafor and Anderson is back from IR.
=======================
BOTTOM LINE - IMPROVEMENT

Playing are the end of 2023, now out: Jones, Trent Brown

Competing in 2024: Brissette, Okorafor, Leverett, Anderson with 2-4 to come
Wolf mentioned Okarafor could play left tackle. However I'd expect tomorrow and leading into day 2,3 we will have another potential starter at LT.

I don't understand how our QB situation is improved. All we did was swap Mac for Jacoby. Jacoby never had a winning season and has had losing seasons on much better offenses and all around teams.
Goes to show just how bad the position had become with Bailey Jones. JB was brought in as bridge for a number of reasons. To run the AVP offense and help the draft pick along, if he plays he won't turn the ball over and is a decent passer and athletic. That alone is improved from last season.

Brissett by default is better than Mac by far.

All they need for the OL to be better is to stay healthy. They’re returning four out of five starting linemen.

Get a stud LT in the draft and they could be much better.
Agreed JB is a better option than Bailey Jones.. health is absolutely paramount for the line.. unlike the defensive front those guys don't sub in and out.. so they are out there for basically every snap. LT is exactly what we should be looking at in the 2nd or 3rd round..

Goes to show just how bad the position had become with Bailey Jones. JB was brought in as bridge for a number of reasons. To run the AVP offense and help the draft pick along, if he plays he won't turn the ball over and is a decent passer and athletic. That alone is improved from last season.
Jones had a winning season once. Brissett couldn't do that on teams that were projected to be Super Bowl contenders. He's safer, but he's also not even remotely productive.

Jones had a winning season once. Brissett couldn't do that on teams that were projected to be Super Bowl contenders. He's safer, but he's also not even remotely productive.
He did your right! Brissett played well in roles as a backup, if he had to fill in a few games for a starter. He is a veteran who's been at other stops so for this season he's better than say hoyer would be.

Jacoby is likeable and easy to cheer for but yeah he is what he is.

Hopefully the rookie is special whoever he is.
Spot on. He can get it done if he has too.. he won't ruin the game.. he will lean on his running game, and make high percentage completions won't put his WRs on bad situations. He's a bridge, I'd take him over hoyer for sure lol..

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back