PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With No Retirement, Don't We Have Our 9 OL's?

With the Vikings in 2020 Reiff had that troublesome ankle injury, tried to play through it, and was pulled from I think two games.

He’s tough and smart. Team guy. Great acquisition. Except he’ll be 35.

I’d prefer him at LT over Trent Brown.

Not a healthy Wynn playing LT. Wynn’s technique and arm length in his little body are impressive.
sigh

We are considering whether the 2023 is and upgrade over the 2022 OL. In 2022, Wynn was a pi$$ed off, confused, and poor RT.

Our 2022 OL would have been much, much better with Wynn at LT, Brown and RT and Patricia washing latrines.
===========
My point is that 2023 Anderson will be a major upgrade that what we got out of Wynn in 2022.

I bet the Pats keep more OL than typical this year, it might make sense to keep an extra lineman on instead of a blocking TE. I could see them keeping as many as 10, then having 2 inactive on game day.

Last year the RT position was an abject disaster. Center was also awful when Andrews was hurt. I’m optimistic that someone will separate themselves as the starting right tackle and Andrews the younger is probably an upgrade on Ferentz.

I thought the offensive line was extremely inconsistent in the run game last year. The key to the offense rebounding is a consistent run game, and I think the run blocking should be better this season.

For the record I think Sow shows he can play tackle. I’m not sure Strange has the length to play LT and I don’t really want him playing at the most difficult position on the line. I wouldn’t mind Onwenu at RT but it doesn’t seem like they want to do that.

I bet the Pats keep more OL than typical this year, it might make sense to keep an extra lineman on instead of a blocking TE. I could see them keeping as many as 10, then having 2 inactive on game day.
Agree. In fact I believe they might even go with 10 OL and 3 TE's.
Last year the RT position was an abject disaster. Center was also awful when Andrews was hurt. I’m optimistic that someone will separate themselves as the starting right tackle and Andrews the younger is probably an upgrade on Ferentz.
Agree
For the record I think Sow shows he can play tackle. I’m not sure Strange has the length to play LT and I don’t really want him playing at the most difficult position on the line. I wouldn’t mind Onwenu at RT but it doesn’t seem like they want to do that.
IMO because Strange has the same physical size as Matt Light but is more athletic...it makes him a good option for LT. I do think he is better suited to play LT then Sow...who I think would be a very good starting LG day 1.

Strange has the same physical size as Matt Light
This is weird but Strange’s butt is thin compared to Light’s. That and the quads forms the anchor for tackles.

Strange as a center, though, might be strangely good. He could be our own Creed Humphries.

How can nobody else see Cole Strange looks like Nate Solder?

This is weird but Strange’s butt is thin compared to Light’s. That and the quads forms the anchor for tackles.

Strange as a center, though, might be strangely good. He could be our own Creed Humphries.
I do agree Strange is a little “Light” in the pants but I will never get the center “asspect”.

Strange is athletic and mobil…a good combination for LT.

Not accurate; Reiff missed __six__ games in 2021 playing for the Bengals with an ankle injury. He only played in 12 games that year.

There are 17 games in a regular season. He played in 12. 17-12 =5. I did not count play-offs for ANY of his seasons. Just like I don't for other players when talking about missed regular season games. Nice try, but you need to work on it.

Cajuste got waived so now we're down to...

Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Trent Brown, Sow, Reiff, Anderson, Andrews.

McDermott and Mafi are the next most likely to secure a spot, if they go to 10.

Hines, Steuber, Russey, Ferentz are probably looking at practice squad spots, but even those will be limited, because you can only reserve 2 or 3 of those for OL.

We need a young developmental LT.

Tackle play is looking weak, causing this season to go from potential 12 wins to 6-8.

BOB can scheme around everything except a rushed Mac. Keep the blindside clean!

Let’s hope Brown’s play is no longer uneven and occasionally lackadaisical and Reiff at RT stays healthy. Esp that dicey ankle.

We need a young developmental LT.

Tackle play is looking weak, causing this season to go from potential 12 wins to 6-8.

BOB can scheme around everything except a rushed Mac. Keep the blindside clean!

Let’s hope Brown’s play is no longer uneven and occasionally lackadaisical and Reiff at RT stays healthy. Esp that dicey ankle.

DICEY? How do you figure that the ankle is DICEY. He played all last year without it being an issue.
Seriously. You just love pulling s**t out of your ass, don't you?

The ankle problem reared its head over two recent, contiguous seasons. And he’ll be 35 playing for us. Reiff probably won’t be able to make it through the whole season without missing some time.

I hope I’m wrong.

How old was Matt Light when he retired?

The ankle problem reared its head over two recent, contiguous seasons. And he’ll be 35 playing for us. Reiff probably won’t be able to make it through the whole season without missing some time.

I hope I’m wrong.

How old was Matt Light when he retired?

Reiff played in 16 of 17 games, starting the last 10. The only game he didn't play in was week 2 against Green Bay. It was a minor shoulder issue as he was available but scratched on that Sunday. So not sure where you get that the ankle caused him issues in 2022. It didn't. You're making s**t up again.

Matt Light was 33.
Bruce Armstrong was 35.
Orlando Pace was 34.
Joe Thomas was 33.
Joe Staley was 35.
All of which you could have easily looked up if you'd chosen to.

Slightly off topic, but there was a lot of grumbling on here when we, along with 30 other teams, passed on Dawand Jones when he started to drop in the draft. Of course the assumption most of us made based on his pre-draft process was that there were serious questions about his mentality, attitude and work ethic. Looks like thats been confirmed now, as he's already struggling in rookie minicamp.

Slightly off topic, but there was a lot of grumbling on here when we, along with 30 other teams, passed on Dawand Jones when he started to drop in the draft. Of course the assumption most of us made based on his pre-draft process was that there were serious questions about his mentality, attitude and work ethic. Looks like thats been confirmed now, as he's already struggling in rookie minicamp.

We will have to see how he responds. He seems to be saying the right things. The issues day 1 of camp were physical. If he’s been shut down over injuries that may be the reason for those. but it’ll be a problem if he lets minor aches and pains shut him down. Those will snowball and he’ll never get on track. We will know by September.

By the way, the Patriots have taken 5 IOL in the last 2 drafts.

Despite the old saw that tackles are valuable, guards and centers much less so, we saw many teams struggle to protect their QBs up the middle last year.

I suspect the Patriots are well ahead of the game in finding good value at guard, and that the NFL is going to start looking very hard at this position in the future, as teams move away from the running game more and more, sending smaller quicker DLs into the middle of the line.

Cajuste got waived so now we're down to...

Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, Trent Brown, Sow, Reiff, Anderson, Andrews.

McDermott and Mafi are the next most likely to secure a spot, if they go to 10.

Hines, Steuber, Russey, Ferentz are probably looking at practice squad spots, but even those will be limited, because you can only reserve 2 or 3 of those for OL.

So nobody's getting injured then? Sweet...

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back