PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OK if our 5 OL are healthy; what about backups?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It seems that we have an OL, if the 5remain healthy. Of course, they need time together to get some consistency.
===========
BACKUPS AT OG/C
Our draftees seem to be OK and learning. We wouldn't want Mafi or Andrews to start, but's how it is with backups.

BACKUPS AT OT
ANDERSON could get healthy. He played the first two games.
MCDERMOTT could back into game shape and elevated and then activated.
LOVE is really, really bad. He should be cut.
I don't think that we want SOW moving around, Let him develop at OG. It is a major win to have drafted an OK starter.
STEUBER is very unlikely to play this year, if he wasn't active today.

I still think that we will continue to look for veteran backups over the next couple of weeks.

The best we can hope for re the O-line this year is that they might be adequate. Yesterday they were adequate, and adequate is...well...adequate. They exceeded my hopes, for sure. Certainly we aspire to something more, however, so we should certainly, as you say, be on the lookout for upgrades and better backups going forward, wherever they may be found. They exceeded my hopes yesterday, aided by changes in strategy which were (finally?) put in place. To put it more positively, a good part of yesterday's success is likely attributable to Bill O'Brien's game planning. Hopefully we'll be spared the "Fire BO'B" nonsense for at least a week or two.

Back ups?!? It took us almost two months into the season to find find starters who weren't just minor speed bumps for defenders to get to the QB and you are talking about back ups? Talk to me in December.

Back ups?!? It took us almost two months into the season to find find starters who weren't just minor speed bumps for defenders to get to the QB and you are talking about back ups? Talk to me in December.
LOL. I take your point. Any optimism in this arena must be very fragile.

The best we can hope for re the O-line this year is that they might be adequate. Yesterday they were adequate, and adequate is...well...adequate. They exceeded my hopes, for sure. Certainly we aspire to something more, however, so we should certainly, as you say, be on the lookout for upgrades and better backups going forward, wherever they may be found. They exceeded my hopes yesterday, aided by changes in strategy which were (finally?) put in place. To put it more positively, a good part of yesterday's success is likely attributable to Bill O'Brien's game planning. Hopefully we'll be spared the "Fire BO'B" nonsense for at least a week or two.
Im a strong believer that the oline is more of a group of one, the weakest link exposes all. As inadvertently the strongest does as well. When it functions as a unit, as one, then it’s the strongest. That absolutely means consistency and cohesion. Our strongest lines have always been the ones that had many snaps as a unit under their belts. Hopefully they become more than adequate. Hopefully Klemm is the guy. We shall see

It seems that we have an OL, if the 5remain healthy. Of course, they need time together to get some consistency.
===========
BACKUPS AT OG/C
Our draftees seem to be OK and learning. We wouldn't want Mafi or Andrews to start, but's how it is with backups.

BACKUPS AT OT
ANDERSON could get healthy. He played the first two games.
MCDERMOTT could back into game shape and elevated and then activated.
LOVE is really, really bad. He should be cut.
I don't think that we want SOW moving around, Let him develop at OG. It is a major win to have drafted an OK starter.
STEUBER is very unlikely to play this year, if he wasn't active today.

I still think that we will continue to look for veteran backups over the next couple of weeks.
So far Sow has only 3 games under his belt BUT he's been rated pretty well in a 3 games. In fact, he's the highest rated rookie guard, which isn't really a surprise since there were so few guards selected at all!!!!

Steve Avila, Matthew Bergeron, Joe Tippman, O'Cyrus Torrence: those are the only 4 guards selected ahead of him.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back