PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we get a top RB in FA?

To the people saying no and an average to good RB is good enough; what can you spend $10-12MM on that gets you an elite player at their position? A position that can easily generate 40% of your offense and help take the pressure off your new QB?

To me it's a no brainer at all especially with a rookie QB.

Last edited:
Short answer is no. This isn’t the 1990’s.

Pats need to focus on QB, WR and OL.
I disagree, AvP has already said he's strong on running to set up the pass. Rham is in a contract year. Get an elite RB while you can because regardless of what's done at QB, you're going to need him. CLE had Chubb and they were top 5 in rushing before his injury.

In FA you might find an OT or WR (or defensive pieces), but not a long term answer at QB. Anything other than a lower cost "Bridge" QB while the one you drafted sits and learns (while the OL and rest of the offense is built up) is a significant waste of money and makes you no better in the rebuild to true SB contender/winner status.
I meant get the QB in the draft and build the OL and WR's first. RB is the last thing on the list.
I disagree, AvP has already said he's strong on running to set up the pass. Rham is in a contract year. Get an elite RB while you can because regardless of what's done at QB, you're going to need him. CLE had Chubb and they were top 5 in rushing before his injury.
Just like they did in 2021, signing a RB isn't going to cripple their cap as he will probably be on a short term contract anyways. However, I'd rather use that money on acquiring a WR that the team has desperately needed since 2019. And as I mentioned above, need to build out the OL. Also, I'd rather draft a RB in rounds 3 or 4.

I think this will be Rham's last year and I don't like his running style - Le'Veon Bell esque. Maybe that changes this year with a new scheme.

In FA you might find an OT or WR (or defensive pieces), but not a long term answer at QB. Anything other than a lower cost "Bridge" QB while the one you drafted sits and learns (while the OL and rest of the offense is built up) is a significant waste of money and makes you no better in the rebuild to true SB contender/winner status.
FA WR class this season looks lousy. KC is rumored to be hard after Mike Evans.

After him, OBJ and a bunch of has beens.

The Browns made the post season with Jerome Ford a 5th round pick.

Fix the OL and draft some WRs.

Mac needs WRs.

RBs get injured very frequently so spending $$$ on an UFA is risky. But Pats have $$ this year to take risks.

I love Austin Ekeler as a receiving back.
I think Stevenson is over rated

I wouldn’t classify Gibson as a “top RB” but this would be a coup IMHO..

Gibson is one of the more underutilized/talented RB’s in the league and his market value is much lower than the average RB (I believe). He has great size, is an excellent receiver and has been relatively healthy since entering the league. I’m honestly not sure how good he is in pass protection. I believe he’d be an asset here behind Rham.

Career 1283 receiving yards at 81% catch rate. That is excellent.

Last edited:
I always think that draft and FA should be approached like how investment funds approach money allocation for different investments. Part of that is knowing there are value dislocation in the market and playing accordingly.

To me draft should be about picking the positions that are either hard to get in FA or too cost prohibitive (e.g. LT, QB, DB) and FA should be about picking unloved positions (e.g. RB) or those we suck at drafting (e.g. WR).

That said there is an amazing number of very good to great RBs. Given that we don't know if we will have a good QB, I think we should get a great RB for relatively cheap in FA that can be 40% of our offense who will give you guaranteed production and help take the burden off of whoever we choose at QB.

Just look at list of available RBs. I think we can secure high production at $10MM or so which is less than 4% of the cap. IMO it's a no brainer. Even if we push to $12MM, it's still nothing relative to the value an elite RB can bring us especially if we go rookie at QB.

Nice post, and I share your insights. But we have a great back in rham, who's been in a terrible offense last 2 seasons. I'd rather draft or sign a 3rd down/receiving back and keep rham around.

FA WR class this season looks lousy. KC is rumored to be hard after Mike Evans.

After him, OBJ and a bunch of has beens.
Evans makes sense for KC. Cincy put a wrench in the works for us with tagging Higgins (which I expected). Pittman might be there, but I don't know if he's worth the money we would have paid Higgins.

Pittman>higgins

Yes and Yes again on Antonio Gibson. He's alreadt good to very good and is going to get better.... I don't think they let him get away with all the money they have. Oh well it's a nice thought!!

My knee jerk response to this is no. However the Patriots could do something really interesting here. According to Spotrac they could actually get both DeAndre Swiftvand Austin Ekalor for a total of 14 million AAV. You combine that with Rahm and a mobile rookie QB, or even with a veteran bridge QB, and you could instantly have a top 3 run game to go with really good defense. Both would take pressure off the other aspects of their team next season. Or you could just get one and go with Saquon Barkley for 10 million AAV. So while my initial instinct was to not consider going RB in free agency the value is so unbelievably good that they could put together a great RB room for less than the savings from JC Jackson’s contract. And according to most reports Van Pelt wants to run first and base their passing game off of it. So regardless of who they bring in at QB providing them with a great run game would make life easier for them. And the OL would love it, because you are always dishing out the hits in the run game, as opposed to taking the hits in the passing game. So my answer to this is yes, the value at the position is exceptional, and you could really help them on the field for a small fraction of their available cap space:

Yes, I absolutely do this. If you want to help your QB and your OL, then a home-run hitting RB like Barkley instantly catches the defense's attention.

You have to spend the money somewhere. This isn't committing to a guy for the heavy long-term. Barkley is 27, so sign him until he's 29.

It's a very good idea especially when there are slim pickings at tackle and WR.

Spotrac has a deal for him at just under 10 million AAV, that’s a steal for an impact player like that. I’m going to put Barkley on my free agent wish list.

This is a really poor draft at RB, so strengthening the room through free agency makes a lot of sense.

If you’re not saddled paying your QB 30+ million a year/instead have a rookie on a cheap QB deal then why the hell not try to throw funds elsewhere on offense where you can benefit.

If you’re not saddled paying your QB 30+ million a year/instead have a rookie on a cheap QB deal then why the hell not try to throw funds elsewhere on offense where you can benefit.
Agree. QB/WR/TE/OL free agent options aren't good. Guys worth pursuing are being tagged or negotiating to stay. Pats installing a new scheme, so find an elite back that you can use to build your system, while the QB room gets developed.

Evans makes sense for KC. Cincy put a wrench in the works for us with tagging Higgins (which I expected). Pittman might be there, but I don't know if he's worth the money we would have paid Higgins.
Agreed, if I'm KC I'd want to go younger.. Evans is 30,31.. they should be the one in on the Jefferson trade themselves. Kelce may not play after next season so they should be trying to get some play makers on the outside like they have always done for Mahomes.

Wants $30 million/year .... pass.
He is worth every bit if it. Of course NE isn't paying that for a player not named all pro QB.. however I really don't care what a player makes just give me talent and a chance to win.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back