PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should We Draft a Second QB this year?

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
A few years ago, in 2012, the washington redskins drafted robert griffin III with the 4th overall pick... an few rounds later, in the 4th, they selected Kirk Cousins...

So is this strategy something we should pursue this year? Take Maye/Daniels with the third overall pick, but then hedge our bets with a developmental pick in the mid rounds? round 3 we have 68... might be a bit high... round four we are picking at 103... this might be a sweet spot to select a second option qb... if the right guys fall according to Wolf's draft board...

This is something we should seriously consider pulling the trigger on... i have doubts/concerns on both prospects - Maye & Daniels... I would prefer Daniels over Maye, but i think we are going to get stuck with Drake Maye... We need to hedge our bets... Is it a big ask to give up a 4th as insurance? i don't think so... a trade / slide back / here or there and a second 4th could be garnered... It should have worked out well for Washington but Bruce Allen/Scott McClougan bungled the handling of cousins, tagging him twice instead of working out a deal...

A few years ago, in 2012, the washington redskins drafted robert griffin III with the 4th overall pick... an few rounds later, in the 4th, they selected Kirk Cousins...

So is this strategy something we should pursue this year? Take Maye/Daniels with the third overall pick, but then hedge our bets with a developmental pick in the mid rounds? round 3 we have 68... might be a bit high... round four we are picking at 103... this might be a sweet spot to select a second option qb... if the right guys fall according to Wolf's draft board...

This is something we should seriously consider pulling the trigger on... i have doubts/concerns on both prospects - Maye & Daniels... I would prefer Daniels over Maye, but i think we are going to get stuck with Drake Maye... We need to hedge our bets... Is it a big ask to give up a 4th as insurance? i don't think so... a trade / slide back / here or there and a second 4th could be garnered... It should have worked out well for Washington but Bruce Allen/Scott McClougan bungled the handling of cousins, tagging him twice instead of working out a deal...
Tom Brady Flirt GIF

If Nathan Rourke was in this draft, where would he be drafted? I’m guessing mid to late rounds. I like the idea of drafting a second quarterback in theory, but it think we’ll have enough competition at the position with Brisset, the rookie, Rourke, and Zappe.

We could take a flyer in the 6th or 7th, to get competition for Rourke and Zappe. I wouldn't if Zappe is going to be given a chance to compete with Rourke be the present and future backup.

Zappe stinks, get him off the roster. I don't hate the idea of a round 6 or 7 flyer to compete with Rourke for #3.

Zappe stinks, get him off the roster. I don't hate the idea of a round 6 or 7 flyer to compete with Rourke for #3.
I would prefer a higher round prospect... i realize the draft is a crapshoot, but sometimes you do get what you pay for

If Nathan Rourke was in this draft, where would he be drafted? I’m guessing mid to late rounds. I like the idea of drafting a second quarterback in theory, but it think we’ll have enough competition at the position with Brisset, the rookie, Rourke, and Zappe.
Rourke was in the 2021 draft and went completely undrafted.

He's not good, I don't know what people see in him, especially Wolf and the collaboration.

I'm not against the idea but only from 6th round on, we have too many needs to use a 4th round pick.

I'm not following the mocks of late round QBs, don't know any of them, if there's someone they like and it is let's say a 4th round talent who goes down to the 5th or 6th round then pull the trigger and kick Zappe or Rourke.

Should we draft a second QB later?

It depends. First:
1. Does the team trade down at some point, adding draft picks?
2. Does the team trade up (e.g., moving up from #34), subtracting draft picks?
3. How does the team feel about Nathan Rourke vs Draft Prospect vs Bailey Zappe?

If we have extra draft picks I would lean towards Yes.
If the team selects someone other than Williams/Maye/Daniels I would lean towards Yes.

If the team trades up, resulting in fewer picks I would lean towards No.
Too many other positions in need of upgrade: virtually everything other than IOL that should be considered, in my opinion.

Is rolling the dice on Milton or a 2nd QB on Day 3 worth missing out on a RB/TE/CB/Edge/DT/FS/2nd WR-OT-TE-etc.?
Given the state of the current roster, probably not - unless the Pats have traded for additional picks.
If the Pats have eight picks or fewer, it's a luxury they can't afford.
But if the Pats draft a QB outside the Big 3, it makes a lot more sense.

Rourke was in the 2021 draft and went completely undrafted.

He's not good, I don't know what people see in him, especially Wolf and the collaboration.
I assume you're not talking about him as a potential starter.

Might be fine as a #3. Zappe blows so it shouldn't be that hard for Rourke or another late round pick to beat him for that spot.

Not two.....
elmo count GIF by Sesame Street

I assume you're not talking about him as a potential starter.

Might be fine as a #3. Zappe blows so it shouldn't be that hard for Rourke or another late round pick to beat him for that spot.
I’m talking about him as an NFL player. He wasn’t good in college in Canada, Zappe was… if Zappe sucks then Rourke sucks x10.

Yess Rattler - Pratt or Milton.

Should we draft a second QB later?

It depends. First:
1. Does the team trade down at some point, adding draft picks?
2. Does the team trade up (e.g., moving up from #34), subtracting draft picks?
3. How does the team feel about Nathan Rourke vs Draft Prospect vs Bailey Zappe?

If we have extra draft picks I would lean towards Yes.
If the team selects someone other than Williams/Maye/Daniels I would lean towards Yes.

If the team trades up, resulting in fewer picks I would lean towards No.
Too many other positions in need of upgrade: virtually everything other than IOL that should be considered, in my opinion.

Is rolling the dice on Milton or a 2nd QB on Day 3 worth missing out on a RB/TE/CB/Edge/DT/FS/2nd WR-OT-TE-etc.?
Given the state of the current roster, probably not - unless the Pats have traded for additional picks.
If the Pats have eight picks or fewer, it's a luxury they can't afford.
But if the Pats draft a QB outside the Big 3, it makes a lot more sense.
Cousins, I have mentioned double dipping for a second QB this year and stand by that.

I am of the religion that we trade down. We are all sure that the 2025 QB class rots......but then in 2024 Daniels and Penix who might have not been the flavor of the day, actually became viable. Not saying they any are sure NFL elites or at the very least capable QBs, but they are all in the first round type stratus.

I can't even see why if we have a chance to get #11 and #23 and another first in 2025 and a third, why we are not giddy with our poopy roster.
WTH over? The Redskins (back before all of this woke business if you recall) did this with RG3 and Cousins. It was a tragedy that RG3 had medical issues, but their second QB in that Draft is now one of the most expensive QBs in the NFL and certainly capable.

The more you dissect this current QB class the more depressing it gets. I smell a big overhype......but at the least 3 of these 7 top QBs will be long term starters and possible Pro Bowl types. They will make coin on their second contract.

In MHO I see Penix at #11. His stats are the same or better in many areas of the Holy Three plus one. I am not a Penix fan but look at the tape and stats. His sins are injuries many years ago an the sin of having superb WRs in house......HMM... just like..........Daniels?

WR? Wait on it a second. Get your OT here at #23. At #34 swap picks with the Niners at #63 and a 2025 pick (they have a ton already in 2024) and get Aiyuk......Why you may ask with so many good WR in this class. It has been discussed. Ourside WR are anout done by #34. Most are slots. Shwo me the NFL tape on these college kids being Drafted to see if they compare to Aiyuk......Oh they don't have NFL tape... They are "definite maybes" at this junction versus All PRO and asending Aiyuk.

The top of the forth or even the third, I am Drafting Rattler. Worse case scenario if his services are not needed trade him the next few years. Let the best man win between he and Penix as a starter.

DW Toys

Cousins, I have mentioned double dipping for a second QB this year and stand by that.

I am of the religion that we trade down. We are all sure that the 2025 QB class rots......but then in 2024 Daniels and Penix who might have not been the flavor of the day, actually became viable.
In Penix's case, for definitions of "viable" including "risky AF."

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back