PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading 34...

Yes, ask this question after day 1 of the draft.

Yep. That was kind of my point, the question posed in the OP is unanswerable at this point in time

clarify this a bit for me? :rofl:
Kid Slap GIF by MOODMAN

Left freakin Tackle!

clarify this a bit for me? :rofl:

lol... yeah, i don't have an issue with trading up, at all... nor do I have a problem moving down a bit in the second providing that the players coming off the board are in alignment with our draft board/goals... If there is a run on OL, then you don't move or try to move up...

I don't think we can afford to be flexible in the 3 spot... but 34? just depends on how the draft progresses...

I agree. It really comes down to whether the 1st round goes as predicted, in which case both OT and WR will have been hit heavily, or whether needs cause teams to make surprise picks, and drive a really good OT or WR prospect into the early second round. And both could bevv big true, as both will get hit hard, but there’s always a surprise drop, and if both Penix and Nix go 1st round then it’s almost a certainty that a really good prospect will be there.

Definitely see the appeal in moving up, but they need pieces. I wouldn't mind slotting down in the 2nd in exchange for getting two third round guys. The third round will still be pretty solid this year. Might give you two cracks at tackle prospects instead of one, and you can still get a solid WR prospect at the top of the 3rd, if not amazing. I'd probably be looking to trade for a "true WR1" or sign one next year.

- QB at 3
- example trade: trade down from 34 to 44 with Raiders in exchange for pick 77
- tackle at pick 44
- WR at pick 68
- tackle at pick 77
- after draft, trade 2nd rounder in 2025 to Bengals for Tee Higgins and 2025 5th rounder

I get where you are coming from on this, but they could also take the approach Detroit took a few years back. When they drafte Frank Ragnow in the first round, and he became an All Pro Center for them, then turned around a couple of years later and took Penrith Sewell with a high first round pick, giving them 2 All pro’s on their OLine. The Patriots may well be able to do the same, as they will likely have a going pick again next year. And as much as I understand that Tackle is the bigger need I think the smarter move is to take the best player, and not the biggest need. They don’t have to be great this year, they just need to be bringing in the best players for the future.

If Cincy was interesting in Dugger wouldn’t they have tried to match our tag offer?
A team I could see go for Dugger would be like Seattle.

Turns they signed Geno Stone in free agency.

Get a tackle w/ that pick. I assume we will take a QB in the first round, and it is easier to get lucky later in the draft on a WR than on a tackle. Keep it simple and stay patient. This will take a while.

Good topic. I've been playing around with this idea. The guy I want in the 2nd round is Xavier Leggette. He's the type of big bodied x receiver we need. Some boards have him ranked as low as 60. There are better slot guys ahead of him, but that's not our need. I'd be ok using pick 34 on him, but an ideal scenario would be a trade back and picking up an extra 3rd or 4th.

I think the best tackle prospects will be gone in the 1st. Would rather get a stud X receiver than a project LT.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back