PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teams looking to move up in the draft?

In a strong draft, the 11th and 23rd pick are perhaps trades I'd consider more readily.

For instance, I could grab a Hightower at 23. He was definitely a 1st round value in a strong draft.
I think it is misleading for people to say that the Vikings are willing to trade two #1 picks to the Pats.

What they are offering is pick #23, for the Pats to swap picks with them, #3 for #11.

Not nearly enough.

Because the #1 spot gets the consensus best QB prospect. The #2 spot gets to basically pick who they think is best of the remaining two highend prospects. The #3 is essentially getting whatever is left over and there is a chance the team isn't high on that guy and thinks it's a bad pick.

Having choices means something. Being forced to accept what is left means you either like it or don't. Not all drafts are equal. There's 3 consensus first round picks and a reach guy McCarthy. The third QB in this draft is not a whole lot different from settling for Mac Jones at 15. The only difference was there were two other guys in the mix for first round QB's and after 3 a lot of teams that didn't need QB's were there to let guys fall.

I hope we learned our lesson that we shouldn't just draft someone just because we need the position. We have to believe in them.

Literally no one has argued that they should take a qb they don’t believe in, yet those of you who don’t want them to take a qb keep making this point as though people are arguing that.

Pickett is not in Tennessee
ahhh eagles... the titans brought in Rudolph... i will correct that... thanks for pointing it out

If somebody gives you a godfather offer take it.

Would you take the giants first and a second and Daniel Jones for number 3

You thinking Daniel Jones has value?

My knee jerk reaction is “No!”

The big 4 QBs are gone by #6.

Swap Jones for the Giant’s 2025 #1 and I’ll think about it.

Would you take Herbert and 5 for 3?

I’m with you here. I’ve been saying “DRAFT A QB AT 3!!!” for the last month or two. The only offer that might change my mind is if the Giants offer 6 and a 2025 1st. Giants have the potential to be picking very high next year.

For some comparison ... their formula .
PFF has Williams at 1 and Maye at 3 and Daniel's 22 ... McCarthy 28 ... Nix 33 ... Penix 46 ... Rattler 70

Literally no one has argued that they should take a qb they don’t believe in, yet those of you who don’t want them to take a qb keep making this point as though people are arguing that.
Uhhh there's a lot of posts of "don't complicate this, take a QB"

Uhhh there's a lot of posts of "don't complicate this, take a QB"

And all of them are premised on the Patriots liking the QB, no one has been arguing that they should take the player even if they don’t believe in them.

I’m as adamant about taking the qb as anyone here, and I have made many times that you never take a player you don’t believe in. And even though I want the qb I’ll understand if they pass on them. Although I think the prospects are there, they have far more information than any of us here. On the other hand if they came out after the draft and said they really liked the AB’s, but the trade offers were too good to pass up, then I would be seriously pissed off about it, as you don’t pass on a franchise qb when you can get them with 1 pick.

Last edited:
is this a joke? you would want daniel jones and his humungous salary? this is the worst idea ive heard yet

A trade for Herbert means the Patriots take on his contract - which is going to be far greater than a rookie QB's contract

2024: $6,000,000 salary
2025: $15,000,000 salary
2026: $24,000,000 salary
2027: $36,000,000 salary
2028: $47,000,000 salary and $5,000,000 roster bonus
2029: $40,050,000 salary and $10,000,000 roster bonus

The first couple of years are very team friendly.
But here's the kicker: he still has $66,000,000 of his salary guaranteed.
A team trading for him is stuck with his contract through 2027.

A trade for Herbert means the Patriots take on his contract - which is going to be far greater than a rookie QB's contract

2024: $6,000,000 salary
2025: $15,000,000 salary
2026: $24,000,000 salary
2027: $36,000,000 salary
2028: $47,000,000 salary and $5,000,000 roster bonus
2029: $40,050,000 salary and $10,000,000 roster bonus

The first couple of years are very team friendly.
But here's the kicker: he still has $66,000,000 of his salary guaranteed.
A team trading for him is stuck with his contract through 2027.

These contracts are very un-Tom Brady. You'd think these guys would have learned that you aren't going to field a team around you with those huge contracts. If you want to win, Brady showed the way.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back