PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots must make moves before the NFL Draft because we have done crap. Weaponize? Ha! Here are five solid moves to contemplate.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Good Day Cousins,
A very tasty breakfast this morning. Crisp maple bacon, two eggs over easy with added pieces of "Old Neighborhood" beef baloney and Cabot Vermont shredded cheese infused, then layered on top of pan cooked roasted red peppers to finish, A buttered brioche English muffin with wild blueberry jam was my add. Top that off with Starbucks hot cocoa and cranberry/grape juice to start the meal off prior.

Before you think I am against the "Holy Three plus one" Quarterback class, please know that if one is chosen.....that dude might be the "leftover" but my point is who knows which of these kids will make a difference in their said Team, I will root for that pick to develop for this Team. BUT..........Who is the 100% guru that says one is better than the other? Kiper? Jerimiah? Who is to say that Penix or Nix might actually be the best product after time with their Drafted NFL Team? Is the difference inches or miles? Can you posters tell me who that guy is? And then.........What does their NFL tape look like......oh yeah, they have no NFL tape.

There are certainly two ways to go in this "rebuild". One is to get the QB and build around said Dude like Cousin Ivan says and I respect that. The other is to get your pieces now and then get your QB later like Nick Caserio did for the most part. The best Draft class ever was the 74 Steelers and not a QB was taken. In fact QB Joe Gilliam started most of the games. You have Lynn Swann, John Jefferson, Jack Lambert, Mike Webster and Donnie Shell. Bradshaw was on the Team but flourished later as these picks developed into a powerhouse. Does anyone disagree?

There are ways this can happen for the Pats.....but not just by putting your chips on one player who might not play in 2024. If they do get a stud QB ....so be it, and I will be happy to say I was wrong, but the historical stats do not agree.

I am of the religion that you consider a Vikes potential offer of pick #11, pick #23, their #1 pick in 2025 and another top pick in 2026 (#1?) I could see Penix at #11 (the more I watch tape the better he gets) because you have to get in front of the Raiders and perhaps the Seahawks and Rams and #23 you can get your "X" receiver like Brian Thomas or Adonai Mitchell. Thunder still gets his top young "franchise" QB but we still have two more top 100 picks to gain quality be it OT or defense.

Enough of that.....Whether we pick a QB at #3 or trade down, because Wolf has decided to take a vacation these last few weeks so holes did NOT get fixed, it is in my humble opinion moves still have to be made so this F.O. doesn't look "like a donkey" as Sonny once said. Understand that Wolf didn't just get here. He has been on this personnel staff for a while so don't blame the empty cubbard all on Bill. Why does he escape blame?

Here are five moves both in Trades and Draft that I think might help the Pats roster. Some are gambles but these trades are not "Maddenesque" or impossible. I will start with two "change of scenery projects:

CHANGE OF SCENARY PROSPECT #1

Trevor Penning LT from the Saints. Mayo wanted faster well this 6'7" 316lb kid ran under a 5.0.. The light has not come on for this kid yet. He has starting potential here. Trade him with Tyquan Thornton and the WR speed the Saints need. Penning was a first rounder in 2022. Smaller school Northern Iowa and less competition had much to do with his learning curve. He was nasty in college

CHANGE OF SCENARY PROSPECT #2

Treylon Burks WR Titans. 6'3" 225lbs., perimeter WR with speed. You want a potential "X"? Was immediately drafted in the First Round in 2022 to take A.J. Browns place. Was not used correctly by the Titans. The kid was put in a very awkward spot. He can be had for perhaps a 5th rounder or maybe a 4th pending. With both of our WR misses, Hopkins and Ridley on the Titans, wouldn't it be poetic justice if Burks could become something special on the Pats?

CHANGE OF SCENARY PROSPECT #3

This should actually be #1.

Brandon Aiyuk for the Niners. They cannot afford him. If Maye goes to the Commanders and Daniels is our parting gift, Aiyuk and Daniels were very close at Arizona State. But I digress.......The simplist Trade Route would be a "swap picks" offer #34 in the second to the Niners (come on Lynch, it's almost a first) for their pick #63 in the second plus send a latter pick this year or next. We have the CAP space. The Niners have to wait 31 picks after #63!

DRAFT TRADE

The LA Rams have a need at Safety. We have an upset Kyle Dugger but have two possble replacements for him in house with Bledsoe and Mapu but my suggestion is to sign Free Safety Justin Simmons if we get this done. I would swap the Rams our #34 in the second and Dugger for their #19 pick in the first. Fair deal for both Teams. The Trade Value Chart says the difference is 315 points or a late second round value for Dugger. We don't have to pay him $11mm.

Now think of how we can utilize that pick #19. Even if we take a QB at #3 we can get a OT or "X" WR at #19. If we do the Vikes trade, how many Posters would be happy going into the Draft with three First rounders? Raise your hands.

ULTIMATE DRAFT TRADE

OK, Payton and the Broncos want to move up with their pick #12. He knows he does not have the Draft Capital but he has players on his roster he did not draft. If he offered pick #12 plus All Pro CB Patrick Surtain (it has been mentioned), staring LT Garrett Boles whom is very good and WR All Pro Courtland Sutton .......Sean Payton "I don't care. I didn't Draft them". Three day one starters so move down to #12 (then QB Pennix?"). Plus add perhaps a third rounder in 2025. Would you do that deal Cousins?

OK...Don't hurt my feelings with these.

DW Toys

If we think that Dugger isn't part of the future, then he should be traded.

Doesn't he have to sign the tag first?

If we think that Dugger isn't part of the future, then he should be traded.

Doesn't he have to sign the tag first?

That is an interesting point. What would he fetch? Would waiting until next year be smarter?

few thoughts...

I would love to trade for Aiyuk ... I'd even give up #34 for his rights... but the issue here is twofold - first, the 9ers don't have to trade him... he's not a free agent until 2025, and I can't see them giving him up this year... secondly, unless we work out a long term agreement before any trade this year, you are getting a very expensive one year rental... it would be a bitter pill indeed to give up 34 only to have him walk a year later...

and if we can turn Dugger into a 1st round pick, then we have to do it... Rams might have to do some cap management to fit him in under the cap, but it is manageable...

and finally, i don't want to trade for another teams developmental project, especially at a key position like LT... would rather make the pick or trade up from 34 and get the guy we want to fill that role moving forward...

They are drafting a QB at 3 I think that's pretty obvious. Broncos would not do that trade anyways so that one is just a non-starter.
Aiyuk is interesting but 49ers would get a bettor deal than that from someone else. 49ers could let Aiyuk play out the 5th year, tag him the next year at only 21. Assuming they could rejigger some other players ot add cap space. The #34 by itself would be a minimum.
Safeties have no value, Rms are not doing that trade.

Tyquan is a bust, if your getting an equal bust what's the point? If they are not equal busts Saints are not making that trade.

All those deals seem to be homer, wishful thinking, deals the other side is not doing.

Burks, seems a bust, you trade 7th rounders or other busts for them, not 4th or 5th rounders.

Interesting options. Excellent post. I will add that I don't want Bolles near the 5-state New England area.

I'm sure other teams are lining up to trade us their stars for the price some random half drunk fan thinks we can get away with paying.

People still struggling to escape an inescapable truth. THE PATRIOTS ARE NOT SPECIAL ANYMORE. We're simply 1 of 32 teams, and not a particularly good one. We can't just step out there and "go get" guys. Why the hell would a player want to come here? Because of a history that doesn't exist on the field anymore? Because of a head coach who lost his touch years ago and is now gone? Because of an owner who likes a spicy massage? What have we got that makes you think a mercenary would find this team attractive?

The cold truth is that we simply aren't good. Not only that, but the strength of our organization has suffered greatly in the last few years of Bill. The supporting cast that made Belichick who he was disappeared one by one and largely have not been replaced. With Bill's exit I'm pretty sure the only guy left from the glory years is the owner. We have no prestige, and our last appearance on the field was a hot mess that no offensive player would volunteer to walk in and play for. It's going to take time to dig out of the hole we're in right now.

That's what happens when you decide to drive the dynasty bus until the wheels fall off. This is what that looks and feels like. And now the wheels ARE off, we're going to have to spend some time building back up to zero and clearing the rubble so that we can rebuild on the site. that's the process we're in right now, and it's not gonna happen in a single offseason.

Like a lot of the ideas, but if we offered the 49ers 34 for Aiyuk and 63 we would be even more of a laughing stock in NFL circles than we currently are.

Good Day Cousins,
A very tasty breakfast this morning. Crisp maple bacon, two eggs over easy with added pieces of "Old Neighborhood" beef baloney and Cabot Vermont shredded cheese infused, then layered on top of pan cooked roasted red peppers to finish, A buttered brioche English muffin with wild blueberry jam was my add. Top that off with Starbucks hot cocoa and cranberry/grape juice to start the meal off prior.

Before you think I am against the "Holy Three plus one" Quarterback class,please know that if one is chosen.....that dude might be the "leftover" but my point is who knows which of these kids will make a difference in their said Team, I will root for that pick to develop for this Team. BUT..........Who is the 100% guru that says one is better than the other? Kiper? Jerimiah? Who is to say that Penix or Nix might actually be the best product after time with their Drafted NFL Team? Is the difference inches or miles? Can you posters tell me who that guy is? And then.........What does their NFL tape look like......oh yeah, they have no NFL tape.

There is certainly two ways to go in this "rebuild". One is to get the QB and build around said Dude like Cousin Ivan says and I respect that. The other is to get your pieces now and then get your QB later like Nick Caserio did for the most part. The best Draft class ever was the 74 Steelers and not a QB was taken. In fact QB Joe Gilliam started most of the games. You have Lynn Swann, John Jefferson, Jack Lambert, Mike Webster and Donnie Shell. Bradshaw was on the Team but flourished later as these picks developed into a powerhouse. Does anyone disagree?

There are ways this can happen for the Pats.....but not just by putting your chips on one player who might not play in 2024. If they do get a stud QB ....so be it, and I will be happy to say I was wrong but the history stats do not agree.

I am of the religion that you consider a Vikes potential offer of pick #11, pick #23, their #1 pick in 2025 and another top pick in 2026 (#1?) I could see Penix at #11 (the more I watch tape the better he gets) because you have to get in front of the Raiders and perhaps the Seahawks and Rams and #23 you can get your "X" receiver like Brian Thomas or Michell. Thunder still gets his top young "franchise" QB but we still have two more top 100 picks to gain quality be it OT or defense.

Enough of that.....Whether we pick a QB at #3 or trade down, because Wolf has decide to take a vacation these last few weeks so holes did NOT get fixed, it is in my humble opinion moves still have to be made so this F.O. doesn't look "like a donkey" as Sonny once said. Understand that Wolf didn't just get here. He has been on this personel staff for a while so don't blame the empty cubbard all on Bill. Why does he escape blame?

Here are five moves both in Trades and Draft that I think might help the Pats roster. Some are gambles but these trades are not "Maddenesque" or impossible. I will start with two "change of scenery projects:

CHANGE OF SCENARY PROSPECT #1

Trevor Penning LT from the Saints. Mayo wanted faster well this 6'7" 316lb kid ran under a 5.0.. The light has not come on for this kid yet. He has starting potential here. Trade him with Tyquan Thornton and the WR speed the Saints need. Penning was a first rounder in 2022. Smaller school Northern Iowa and less competition had much to do with his learning curve. He was nasty in college

CHANGE OF SCENARY PROSPECT #2

Treylon Burks WR Titans. 6'3" 225lbs . perimeter WR with speed. You want a potential "X"? Was immediately Drafted in the First round in 2022 to take A.J. Browns place. Was not used correctly by the Titans. The kid was put in a very awkward spot. He can be had for perhaps a 5th rounder or maybe a 4th pending. With both of our WR misses Hopkins and Ridley on the Titans, wouldn't it be poetic justice if Burks could become something special on the Pats?

CHANGE OF SCENARY PROSPECT #3

This should be actually #1.

Brandon Aiyuk for the Niners. They cannot afford him. If Maye goes to the Commanders and Daniels is our parting gift, Aiyuk and Daniels were very close at Arizona State. But I digress.......The simplist Trade route would be a "swap picks"offer #34 in the second to the Niners (come on Lynch, it's almost a first) for their pick #63 in the second plus send a latter pick this year or next. We have the CAP space. The Niners have to wait 31 picks after #63!

DRAFT TRADE

The LA Rams have a need at Safty. We have an upset Kyle Dugger but have two possble replacements for him in house with Bledsoe and Mapu but my suggestion is to signs Free Safty Simmons if we get this done. I would swap the Rams our #34 in the second and Dugger for their #19 pick in the first. Fair deal for both Teams. The Trade value chart says the difference is 315 points or a late second round value for Dugger. We don't have to pay him $11mm.
Now think of how we can utilize that pick #19. Even if we take a QB at #3 we can get a OT or "X" WR at #19. If we do the Vikes trade, how many Posters would be happy going into the Draft with three First rounders? Raise your hands.

ULTIMATE DRAFT TRADE

OK, Payton and the Broncos want to move up with their pick #12. He knows he doe snot have the Draft captila but he has players on his roster he dod not Draft. If he offered pick #12 plus All Pro CB Patrick Surtain (it has been mentioned), staring LT Garrett Boles whom is very good and WR All Pro Courtland Sutton .......Sean Payton "I don't care. I didn't Draft them". Three day one starters so move down to #12 (then QB Pennix?"). Plus add perhaps a third rounder in 2025. Would you do that deal Cousins?

OK...Don't hurt my feelings with these.

DW Toys

Jesus H. You have a lot of **** going on in your head Cousin

How about Vikings trade Jefferson to Falcons for 8 and a 3rd. JJ reunites with Cousins and gets his $150mm and they are hands down NFC South favorite. Vikings trade 8, 11 and 23 for 3. We trade 8 and 23 and our 3rd for 4th or 5th assuming we are willing to take fourth pick at QB. One can dream...

I’m just here for the breakfast report. Always the grape/cranberry juice, the antioxidant dose is understood, but never the Maine blueberry or the occasional pomegranate.

I believe the staff has tried and failed. That is why he has a tag on him.

The rams signed curl and have invested in their secondary in the (white, Williams)
I believe they won’t trade for a safety currently playing under the tag

I believe the staff has tried and failed. That is why he has a tag on him.
And now the tag has worked. Dugger's agent did his best and then the real negotiations were completed. IMO, that is the way the non-exclusive tag is supposed to work.

Good Day Cousins,

Before you think I am against the "Holy Three plus one" Quarterback class, please know that if one is chosen.....that dude might be the "leftover" but my point is who knows which of these kids will make a difference in their said Team, I will root for that pick to develop for this Team. BUT..........Who is the 100% guru that says one is better than the other? Kiper? Jerimiah? Who is to say that Penix or Nix might actually be the best product after time with their Drafted NFL Team? Is the difference inches or miles? Can you posters tell me who that guy is? And then.........What does their NFL tape look like......oh yeah, they have no NFL tape.

There are certainly two ways to go in this "rebuild". One is to get the QB and build around said Dude like Cousin Ivan says and I respect that. The other is to get your pieces now and then get your QB later like Nick Caserio did for the most part. The best Draft class ever was the 74 Steelers and not a QB was taken. In fact QB Joe Gilliam started most of the games. You have Lynn Swann, John Jefferson, Jack Lambert, Mike Webster and Donnie Shell. Bradshaw was on the Team but flourished later as these picks developed into a powerhouse. Does anyone disagree?
This case history undercuts your future arguments. Bradshaw was the first overall pick in 1970, after they were terrible in 1969. They did not pass on a QB, because the team was bad. They got their QB of the future when they had a chance. The improved, but were non competitive, the next two years, picking players to improve their team. Then they turned it around. The fact of the matter though, is when they had a chance to draft “The Guy” at QB, they did it. They didn’t wet their pants because they weren’t sure if it would work out.

That’s a great breakfast cous.

I disagree with the first sentence in the thread title.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back