PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading 34...

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I believe we will use the 3 overall pick on a quarterback... Maye or Daniels, doesn't really matter, it all boils down to who's left on the board at 3...

So what to do with the 34th pick?

Based on past behavior, teams will try to move back up at the end of the first, beginning of the second round to snag a special player they have identified...

would you move the 34th overall - swap of seconds, pick up an additional third/fourth/fifth round pick? last year there were multiple moves at the top of the second...

the 33rd pick was traded, moving from Houston to Arizona to Tennessee. Arizona traded Houston's selection and a third-round selection (33rd and 81st) to Tennessee in exchange for second- and third-round selections (41st and 72nd) and a 2024 third-round selection.

Raiders jumped up to 35... gave up the 38th and the 141st (r5) to jump up 3 slots...

the 34th overall was part of the Goff trade, so not much to glean from that...

If the draft is deep in talent at the WR and/or OL positions, it might benefit us to swap out the 34 for more picks... even an extra 4th round pick will help... unless of course, there is a player that we really want...

I think we really need to consider moving this pick - Not before the draft, but the day of the draft in order to maximize the return... play from a position of strength, capitalize on another teams desperation to our benefit... really think we could get a second (pick swap) and an additional 3rd round pick out of this move...

I would like to move up from #34 to the #15-#20 range for a starting LT, to go with the QB at #3.

However, that would probably cost so much in draft capital it probably isn't feasible.

No. Use the pick. The upside of what is effectively a first rounder is much better than a couple of third rounders.

Draft a QB, draft a tackle or WR at 34. Hell trade up from 34 if you really like someone else on the board.

I like about 40 players so I would prefer to move UP and snag a OL or WR that may fall a little. We’re likely not getting a difference maker at one of those positions in the third so try to get 2 studs now and then hit the draft (and hopefully the FA market) hard again next year so we can start competing again.

I like about 40 players so I would prefer to move UP and snag a OL or WR that may fall a little. We’re likely not getting a difference maker at one of those positions in the third so try to get 2 studs now and then hit the draft (and hopefully the FA market) hard again next year so we can start competing again.
I’d try to move up the board for a game breaking wr to Match with mayden maycardels.

I would like to move up from #34 to the #15-#20 range for a starting LT, to go with the QB at #3.

However, that would probably cost so much in draft capital it probably isn't feasible.
I was thinking 20-30 for a LT too. I'd swap our 2 for it and give up 3 and something next year to make sure we get an LT.

So much of it (trading the pick) depends on how the first round shakes out. Will there be a run on players at a given position that leaves someone available the Pats might have evaluated as a 1st round quality player at a position of need? If so they can hardly pass up keeping 34 for anything less than an insanely substantial haul. OTOH if they believe they can still get 'their' guy further on or that type of player isn't there...
A lot of potential variables with the first few picks in the second

I’m thinking the first and second tier OTs will all be gone at 34, but there may be an enticing WR sitting there. It’d have to be a pretty decent offer of a higher pick next year rather than a middling one this year to entice me to pass on a big need.

I’d hate to give up 34+68 to move up and take a tackle. I’m not against it, but I’d hate it because there may be a legit wr like Baker or Lagette hanging around.

My best hope is the board goes their way and a tackle falls to them. But if they really like the tackle and trade up with confidence than that’s fine too.

No. Use the pick. The upside of what is effectively a first rounder is much better than a couple of third rounders.

Draft a QB, draft a tackle or WR at 34. Hell trade up from 34 if you really like someone else on the board.
Agree. There’s always good players who drop to the top of the second. I’m hoping we pick the right one …

Drake Maye would be the classic BB pick... so should we do the opposite and take Daniels?
That’s who I’ve hung my hat on, Daniels

Any deal would include a swap of second round picks... If you don't drop too far, you have to consider it, depending on how our draft board is unfolding

Using the draft value chart from Pro Football Reference:
2024 Draft Value Chart

#34 = 560
#68 = 250

Putting these together it is just above the #21 position (Dolphins) Miami doesn’t have a pick in the 3rd or 4th round right now. If the right LT or WR prospect is there at #21 I’d be happy to see that deal and wouldn’t be surprised if Miami would do it in spite of it being within the division. They have Tua’s contract to deal with quite soon, I felt it was part of the mix for them letting Wilkins walk.

Potential scenario to land Daniels at #3 and Brian Thomas at #21 Fun to think about anyway.

Drake Maye would be the classic BB pick... so should we do the opposite and take Daniels?
Pats don't really have a choice. They're picking third in a three quarterback draft so they will take whoever's left

Using the draft value chart from Pro Football Reference:
2024 Draft Value Chart

#34 = 560
#68 = 250

Putting these together it is just above the #21 position (Dolphins) Miami doesn’t have a pick in the 3rd or 4th round right now. If the right LT or WR prospect is there at #21 I’d be happy to see that deal and wouldn’t be surprised if Miami would do it in spite of it being within the division. They have Tua’s contract to deal with quite soon, I felt it was part of the mix for them letting Wilkins walk.

Potential scenario to land Daniels at #3 and Brian Thomas at #21 Fun to think about anyway.
I would not trade down. Trading up for a blue chip player at LT or WR or even CB make more sense to me.

It seems quite possible that we will be able to trade up for a player that we expect to be our starting LT for 5 years, once he is ready to play.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back