PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Suggested Trade Value

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was one decision, one that almost all can understand. As now, we were desperate for a QB.

What was the logic behind not having a free agent veteran backup in 2022?

What was the logic behind not having a free agent backup in 2023? Zappe wasn't even on the 53, as befitting a player who is not even good enough to be expected to be a solid NFL backup.
What was the logic for chasing Brady out and not having a real succession plan? We will probably never know

Let’s be real a lot of us just wanted them to take Mac out of desperation for a QB. Few people thought it was awful at the time.
Don't know about desperation but they did need a QB and Cam wasn't cutting it. Taking Jones when he was available to them at 15 was a chalk move. He was supposed to be a perfect fit here.

In hindsight trading up for Parsons would have been a way better move and I wonder if Bill being a defensive coach really wanted to do that instead.

How about Mac and a 2nd rounder for Fields?
Fields has elite running ability, 2nd to almost nobody except maybe Lamar in a close contest. And he has a big arm. If Chicago is going to trade him to reset the QB clock, then yeah our 2nd + Mac is feasible.

I don’t see how Jones is worth anything in a trade. It would be hard to play worse than he did this year. Cut him loose and if he can scrap his way back into a job somewhere then good for him.
I agree. He has shown no resilience to adversity. He'll get invited to some team's camp and probably look pretty good. If he has a good offensive line in front of him, he could flourish as a backup. The Lions and the Eagles are built from the line out on offense. He'd be fine in either of those QB rooms. But neither of those teams would trade anything for him.

This is an easy decision for the Patriots this offseason. Keep Zappe, cut Mac Jones. Draft a QB with one of the top four picks. My choice is Drake Maye who may drop after Bo Nix's cool-under-pressure performance last week.

Mac for Zach Wilson straight up.

What was the logic for chasing Brady out and not having a real succession plan? We will probably never know
We will never know.

Other than the panic (and necessary) pick of Mac, we have had zero plans at QB since Brady left, not at QB1, at backup QB or at developmental QB.
I agree. He has shown no resilience to adversity. He'll get invited to some team's camp and probably look pretty good. If he has a good offensive line in front of him, he could flourish as a backup. The Lions and the Eagles are built from the line out on offense. He'd be fine in either of those QB rooms. But neither of those teams would trade anything for him.

This is an easy decision for the Patriots this offseason. Keep Zappe, cut Mac Jones. Draft a QB with one of the top four picks. My choice is Drake Maye who may drop after Bo Nix's cool-under-pressure performance last week.
I don't think that we are cutting Jones. Isn't his contract guaranteed? Someone will trade a 7th for Jones or a 7th for Jones and a 6th.

We will never know.

Other than the panic (and necessary) pick of Mac, we have had zero plans at QB since Brady left, not at QB1, at backup QB or at developmental QB.

I don't think that we are cutting Jones. Isn't his contract guaranteed? Someone will trade a 7th for Jones or a 7th for Jones and a 6th.
Mac Jones' contract is guaranteed through 2024. If they release him before the start of the NFL year, his dead cap amount is $4.959 million. Not a big price to pay for that roster spot if they do not find a trade partner. I'm not sure why a team would give up draft capital when they can just invite him to camp as a FA.

If San Fran had taken Mac as was rumored, I wonder how things would have played out, take a defensive player in Round 1 and Mills in round 2???

I was massively disappointed when the Pats didn't pick Lamar Jackson, but in retrospect, I'd still rather have that last ring the Pats got. Highly doubt they would've won it that last time with the 5 ring circus that would've brought up. There were a LOT of people who were already getting sour on TB12 for becoming quite the diva by that time. In hindsight, maybe Hurts or Love over Dugger 2020? What would your succession plan be if you played MondayMorningGM given their financial constraints? Even if TB12 stayed, Pats would probably still be bad this year. TB12 would've had his 1st sub .500 record in his last year, probably wouldn't have his 7th ring because he didn't have Evans/Godwin/Nutjob, and fans would've really soured on his Giselle drama.

Let's take a look at the imho really good QBs (5 years) that have been picked since the Lamar pick: Burrow (who sucked this year), Hurts, Purdy and maayyybe Lawrence. 57 QBs drafted... 4 who are really good... maybe add Stroud too but I can't at this point - tough to know for the 2023 draft. No, someone like Herbert with a sub .500 winning percentage doesn't make you "really good" - I don't count shouldacouldawouldas. Basically, when you have a 7% chance of getting a really good QB, it's tough to have a "real" succession plan.

Mac Jones' contract is guaranteed through 2024. If they release him before the start of the NFL year, his dead cap amount is $4.959 million. Not a big price to pay for that roster spot if they do not find a trade partner. I'm not sure why a team would give up draft capital when they can just invite him to camp as a FA.
If no trade partner, Mac is perfectly fine as a backup for the next year for the Pats. He won't have that pressure being "the guy". I just hope whoever is in charge doesn't get fooled by Perfect Practice Mac.

I was massively disappointed when the Pats didn't pick Lamar Jackson, but in retrospect, I'd still rather have that last ring the Pats got. Highly doubt they would've won it that last time with the 5 ring circus that would've brought up. There were a LOT of people who were already getting sour on TB12 for becoming quite the diva by that time. In hindsight, maybe Hurts or Love over Dugger 2020? What would your succession plan be if you played MondayMorningGM given their financial constraints? Even if TB12 stayed, Pats would probably still be bad this year. TB12 would've had his 1st sub .500 record in his last year, probably wouldn't have his 7th ring because he didn't have Evans/Godwin/Nutjob, and fans would've really soured on his Giselle drama.

Let's take a look at the imho really good QBs (5 years) that have been picked since the Lamar pick: Burrow (who sucked this year), Hurts, Purdy and maayyybe Lawrence. 57 QBs drafted... 4 who are really good... maybe add Stroud too - tough to know for the 2023 draft. No, someone like Herbert with a sub .500 winning percentage doesn't make you "really good" - I don't count shouldacouldawouldas. Basically, when you have a 7% chance of getting a really good QB, it's tough to have a "real" succession plan.
25 Million a year says there should have been a succession plan.

Fields has elite running ability, 2nd to almost nobody except maybe Lamar in a close contest. And he has a big arm. If Chicago is going to trade him to reset the QB clock, then yeah our 2nd + Mac is feasible.
IF that GM in Chicago falls in love with one of these QB's instead of building around Justin Fields they are stupid and will be out of a job real soon. Justin Fields answered his critics when healthy he had a good year considering the circumstances he's a dual threat from the position you can't teach what Fields already have. Take MH Jr and Fields would play catch with him and DJ Moore that's a tough tandem for any Defense.

Last edited:
I don't understand? That doesn't address my post.
No I know, but I was referring to your question about Monday morning GM ( my fault, I didn’t specify). I don’t know what their true financial situation was and as far as the cap goes, it can be played with as we’ve seen. What I’m saying is, he kicked Brady out the door and didn’t have any plan whatsoever. To me, and at 25 mil a year, it’s completely unacceptable. Anyone else would have been fired. Big money brings = Big expectations.

IF that GM in Chicago falls in love with one of these QB's instead of building around Justin Fields they are stupid and will be out of a job real soon. Justin Fields answered his critics when healthy he had a good year considering the circumstances he's a dual threat from the position you can't teach what Fields already have. Take MH Jr Fields would play catch with him and DJ Moore that's tough tandem for any Defense.
Agreed, I see them taking MH jr

No I know, but I was referring to your question about Monday morning GM ( my fault, I didn’t specify). I don’t know what their true financial situation was and as far as the cap goes, it can be played with as we’ve seen. What I’m saying is, he kicked Brady out the door and didn’t have any plan whatsoever. To me, and at 25 mil a year, it’s completely unacceptable. Anyone else would have been fired. Big money brings = Big expectations.
Yeah, in hindsight, it would've been nice for TB12 to ride it out with the Pats, especially for "only" $25mil a year, but the guy really just wanted to leave at that point. Imho, the Pats would've won maybe another playoff game or 2 for the rest of his career. In 2020, instead of Gronk/Evans/Godwin/AB, he would've had Izzo, a broken JE11, N'Keal, and Byrd. Wildcard is the reload for 2021. That could've been a good one if TB12 had patience, but I totally get that he didn't want to waste his mid 40s on a rebuild year.

Bill might wish to ride into sunset with a winning record. But considering his smarts, even he should be having doubts if he can replicate success elsewhere in a year or 2.

commanders is the best fit with a high draft pick and solid defense .
Cowboys would be dream scenario.

Chargers are going to be in dumps for next 2 years till they revamp their defense .

Just send the "If he had receivers who could catch the deep ball, maybe he wouldn't be a mental case" video package. 58 air yards on that perfect throw to Reagor. The Parker throw was very clutch.

a bag of chips

No amount of browbeating or bad coaching can lead to the awkward back foot lollipop picks that ended Mac's season. You have to have some intestinal fortitude and pride. Same for Downtown No-sweat Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes