PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

QB Strategy to Replace Mac

Agree but Ridley is one infraction away from a lifetime ban the Pats aren’t going to be the ones to shed out good money for him.
I wouldn’t even consider it.
Ridley made a few bets after stepping away from the team. I don't know where you heard the "one infraction" thing, but the only concern I'd have with the guy is if his head is on straight now.

If it is, he'll be the type of guy the Pats need, and he won't be nearly as expensive as Pittman. I'd certainly do my due diligence, but he might be worth a shot on a team that needs TALENT.
What's the deal with Boutte? Thought he got a raw deal with BB and BoB last year and hope he gets a chance.

Mayfield was horrible in his last game in Foxboro. One of the worst games by an opposing QB that I can remember. If he is an option they better build up something close to what he had in Tampa… playmakers and protected well.
I wouldn't base everything on just that one game, as awful of a performance as it was. Mayfield suffered a torn labrum in week two that year, but played through it for most of that season. While I agree that his 2023 season should be taken with a grain of salt due to the quality of receivers he had to work with, a better comparison might be the year previous to the game you mentioned (2020). He finished with a 63% completion rate, 3563 yards, 26 TD to 8 Int, 95.9 passer rating, 11-5 record plus a playoff win.

While I am sure the Bucs want to re-sign Mayfield, they face some tough decisions. Their list of free agents also includes WR Mike Evans, LBs Devin White and Lavonte David, FS Antoine Winfield, two other starters and four more that saw plenty of playing time. Mayfield would probably prefer to stay in Tampa, but I can easily envision some other team blowing the Bucs number out of the water and giving Mayfield an offer he can't refuse.

Agree but Ridley is one infraction away from a lifetime ban the Pats aren’t going to be the ones to shed out good money for him.
I wouldn’t even consider it.
If we signed Ridley I would think thier would be language in his contract regarding those infractions.. he's still a play maker.. I'd pursue him and Pittman both.

Like many, I want Mac Jones gone but he comes cheap as a backup QB for the Patriots

The Bears are going QB and moving on from Fields. Why would the Pats want him?

Bring Jones back for 2024 in this new offense that could be perfect for Corky. Draft Marv Harrison @ # 3 and have a WR to throw to.

I see at least 4 wins here - Seahawks in Mass, Indy, Titans and Cardinals or Bears.

lxzwwycmrpczrz2ibyts.jpg
You just want Mayo to fail in his 1st season. Otherwise, what you propose makes zero sense.

I get you're upset Belichick was fired. Get over it. We're moving on.

Jones has lost the locker room. Time for him to get a fresh start elsewhere
understand your frustration, and I agree with you, emotionally but it is a business. Mac Jones is in the last year of his contract. As a backup he is cheap. He knows the new Patriots. I am not saying he will be a good back up, but if they get a bridge QB and a new rookie Mac Jones maybe a good part of the QB position for a year, his last year if his contract. Just thinking as a business. BTW Bob Kraft loves Mac Jones, that doesn't mean he should stay from a fans' point of view.

I don’t want Mac anywhere near our QB of the future. Especially if those reports of how toxic our QB room was are true.
I kind of feel the same way about Zappe, he doesn't sound like a good fit if the Pats draft the QB of the future. From that point on, all other QB's on the roster need to be in line with developing that player long term. Healthy competition for playing time is encouraged, being available to answer questions and help the new guy is mandatory for all other QB's on the roster.

understand your frustration, and I agree with you, emotionally but it is a business. Mac Jones is in the last year of his contract. As a backup he is cheap. He knows the new Patriots. I am not saying he will be a good back up, but if they get a bridge QB and a new rookie Mac Jones maybe a good part of the QB position for a year, his last year if his contract. Just thinking as a business. BTW Bob Kraft loves Mac Jones, that doesn't mean he should stay from a fans' point of view.
So, Mac Jones should stay because he knows the new patriots? Who? the OC. the Advisor to the OC, the QB coach?

Mac might stay until the oldest patriot finds him a place to develop.

I would much, much rather have a veteran backup from an Offense that wasn't the worst in the NFL. Besides, the "backup" is likely to be the starter for much of the season. There is no way that Jones would psychologically survive the early losses.

I kind of feel the same way about Zappe, he doesn't sound like a good fit if the Pats draft the QB of the future. From that point on, all other QB's on the roster need to be in line with developing that player long term. Healthy competition for playing time is encouraged, being available to answer questions and help the new guy is mandatory for all other QB's on the roster.
Agree, but we need to keep one. We only have two. Zappe is cheap. PS QB if need be.

Agree, but we need to keep one. We only have two. Zappe is cheap. PS QB if need be.
Yes, we need an emergency #3 QB. Zappe is fine projection for that role as of now. Just plug him in on the depth chart as #3 QB, with a possibility of being upgraded. At very least, we usually have a 4th QB for camp.

Zappe is under contract at near vet minimum, an OK choice for #3 QB for 2024 and even 2025. It would be good not to be looking to the streets whenever we have an injury. Besides the emergency QB needs to be on the roster.

Bring Brissett in as our bridge QB. He has the familiarity in Van Pelts offense. He actually played pretty well in the few times he replaced Howell last season.

You just want Mayo to fail in his 1st season. Otherwise, what you propose makes zero sense.

I get you're upset Belichick was fired. Get over it. We're moving on.
Kraft is running this team now and I believe that he will bring Corky back with this new coaching set up that allows Kraft more control. That includes adding a star WR like a Marv Harrison sitting there available @ # 3 who pays dividends from day 1.

How do I want Mayo to fail by improving the NE WR corps immediately and immensely ?

GM Kraft bears responsibility for what happened to poor Corky Mac these last 2 seasons.

GM Bob needs to make it right. GM Jerry Jones would never do Dak that way.

Kraft is running this team now
Lol, no he's not.
and I believe that he will bring Corky back with this new coaching set up that allows Kraft more control.
Lol
That includes adding a star WR like a Marv Harrison sitting there available @ # 3 who pays dividends from day 1.

How do I want Mayo to fail by improving the NE WR corps immediately and immensely ?
See above conspiracy theories.

GM Kraft bears responsibility for what happened to poor Corky Mac these last 2 seasons.

GM Bob needs to make it right. GM Jerry Jones would never do Dak that way.
Where was GM Bill while RK was running the team the last 2 years? Lol

Did GM Kraft decide to install Patricia/Judge as OC/QB coach?

The level of your delusions is hilarious.

Paranoid much?

Accusing others of wanting Mayo to fail all the while hoping Belichick lost so Kraft could fire him.

Lol, no he's not.

Lol

See above conspiracy theories.
Who is running the team then?

Mayos brother in law? Jonathan? In his off time from playing polo.

According to the Dynasty your GM Kraft wanted to go back to Bledsoe and take Brady out.

BB won sticking with Brady, but your GM Kraft told BB your job is on the line if you lose.

Just ignore all that because it does not fit your narrative about BB.

Ok Bob?

I am so sick of everyone trying to stick Fields WHO SUCKS with the Patriots that I can't wait until he goes somewhere else or stays in Chicago. I can't understand why people think he will do better in New England with a new unproven coaching staff and absolutely NO talent on the offensive side of the ball. Oh and pay a mid to below average QB $40 plus million a season.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back