PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapoport: Mac Jones Likely a Trade Candidate this Offseason

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
???

If Jones is a middling to good backup, he would stay with the patriots. After all, we should carry three QB's.
Agreed! Sadly, Mac has little to no trade value. The team knows this. They may opt to stick with him, the draft pick, veteran and let them all compete in camp.

I’m sure the team has already done some sniffing around and decided there is a market for him.

Also explains his instagram post with the eyes and arrow “soon” emoji.

Best for both sides.
He is likely welcoming a change . But what is his value? I have to think it's little to nothing? I believe he still has the confidence snd swagger needed to QB in the league, but I really believe the relationship with him and Bill affected his mentality and he played scared.

He is likely welcoming a change . But what is his value? I have to think it's little to nothing? I believe he still has the confidence snd swagger needed to QB in the league, but I really believe the relationship with him and Bill affected his mentality and he played scared.
I wish he played more scared. Instead he was throwing up ducks with absolutely no fear of getting intercepted.

Doing nothing > Playing poorly

Trey Lance had limited starts/game time ... getting 4 starts in two years > getting benched 4 times in one season...

I would be shocked if we net anything for him... because everyone will probably guess we will dump him on the scrap heap
If a team wanted to give Jones a try they'd be better off trading for him rather than having to compete with any other interested teams. However, I wouldn't give the Pats anything for him and I don't know who would. He blows.

The book of how to ruin a QB was written here. Rather just see him elsewhere at this point. The Mac ship has ⛵️.
Yes, they decided to ruin a guy!

It's not on him for sucking.

The same coaches who brought along Matt Cassel and even Tom Brady, and hell, Bailey Zappe!

Sometimes the QBs just flat out suck: Darnold wasn't ruined by multiple OCs, Zach Wilson wasn't ruined by multiple OCs, Trubisky wasn't ruined by multiple OCs. All the QBs whoever busted were not ruined by multiple OCs. They just flat out sucked.

People continue to underrate how bad Mac Jones truly is.

Yes, they decided to ruin a guy!

It's not on him for sucking.

The same coaches who brought along Matt Cassel and even Tom Brady, and hell, Bailey Zappe!

Sometimes the QBs just flat out suck: Darnold wasn't ruined by multiple OCs, Zach Wilson wasn't ruined by multiple OCs, Trubisky wasn't ruined by multiple OCs. All the QBs whoever busted were not ruined by multiple OCs. They just flat out sucked.

People continue to underrate how bad Mac Jones truly is.
I mean it's hard to argue at this point. But off what he showed as a rookie was pretty promising no? So basically if he had his rookie season numbers we'd be talking about us and especially with this defense a playoff team. So thus far we have 50% of the team ready to complete for the playoffs. We just need to revamp the offense.

Vikings can actually be a decent team with Mac and might be able to sign justin Jefferson. Purely from cap perspective Mac should allow them to compete with decent talent .

I mean it's hard to argue at this point. But off what he showed as a rookie was pretty promising no? So basically if he had his rookie season numbers we'd be talking about us and especially with this defense a playoff team. So thus far we have 50% of the team ready to complete for the playoffs. We just need to revamp the offense.
No, it was a mirage. He couldn't throw an out. Last 3rd of the year coaches who had tape finally countered by flooding the middle of the field. Took an hour and a half for his throw (the one intercepted by Micah Hyde) to reach the end zone. Receiver was wide open, but Mac couldn't get it there. Hyde was actually on the other side of the field when Mac threw it and somehow he tracked clear across the entire end zone to make that INT. 90% of NFL QBs can hit that easily.

It's not hard to argue at all. People continue to underrate how bad Mac is. I just read an article on USA Today where Jonathan Kraft insists the Patriots take a QB at #3. Posters below the article suggest Kraft stay out of it so they can trade down, because trading Mac is a big mistake: he's the next Jim Plunkett!

Here's Mac's stat sheet in one of his last regular season games in his rookie year: 14 for 32 for 145 yards and 2 INTs.

This is the sort of thing that carried over because teams knew he was not going to hurt you on the boundaries. He did this against a team with the poorest CBs in all of football, but with great safeties. So the opposition was very strong over the middle, but very poor down the sidelines.

Last edited:
Shocked GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Trade him for what? A fifth/rounder?

Hard pass. Let him mellow out and be better as a backup.

If a team wanted to give Jones a try they'd be better off trading for him rather than having to compete with any other interested teams. However, I wouldn't give the Pats anything for him and I don't know who would. He blows.
Correct on all points

Maybe my auto MAC jersey football and cards will now be worth something.

I’m sure the team has already done some sniffing around and decided there is a market for him.

Also explains his instagram post with the eyes and arrow “soon” emoji.

Best for both sides.
Do you have to start a thread everytime there's a news article that we all can see? There's already a Mac trade thread dude.

I think Saban babied Mac with a flat out NFL caliber O-line at Bama.
I think Billichick gave him just enough rope to hang himself.
If he wasn't throwing an interception he was looking like this:1000003958.jpg

If he goes to a team that can protect him... he might keep a starting job for awhile...

He's looking like a back up now that will have to prove himself.

Being a qb not named Tom Brady for the patriots is a rough proposition...

And I quote Bledsoe "A tough pill to swallow"...

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back